My turn for crash...of course it had to be over water.

@xaveThis failure happened after 42 flights for a total distance of 791,539 feet totaling 8hr 21 minutes of operation.
Wow. 792k feet in only 42 flights. That's awesome. You sure make the most of your flight time!

Reactions: JoBe
Well, diver is coming tomorrow morning. Hopefully he can find it. Really curious to see what kind of shape it is in and what the logs shows. Once I have everything, I will open my case with DJI and see what they have to say.

Reactions: mmee1992
Well, diver is coming tomorrow morning. Hopefully he can find it. Really curious to see what kind of shape it is in and what the logs shows. Once I have everything, I will open my case with DJI and see what they have to say.
Good luck. I hope DJI is willing to help you out if it was indeed no fault of your own.

Did you hired a diver/recovery guy or you had a friend do it? Just wondering.

I hope you find it and able to dry it out. I used a hair dryer to dry mine out when I water crashed it.
Let us know.

@hozzie, Good luck on your recovery mission. There is a lot of good information on this forum for drying out a water-logged bird.

Start reading the threads from others that had water loss and how they dried them out to fly again.
Get your bench setup with everything your going to need to operate with.
Lots of us are following your loss and standing by to help when it gets to the operating table.
You have a good chance of flying again.
Forget about what happened for now and just get the bird dried out.
fingers.jpg

@hozzie sorry to hear about not finding the drowned bird. Best of luck dealing with DJI....please let us know on any further updates.

Thanks guys. Already uploaded the logs to healthy drones and it didn't show any issues. I also uploaded the logs from my 15 minute flight before that and there were no major issues reports. A warning for maximum altitude and a brief signal loss when I was out about a mile. I hit return to home and it came back perfectly. We'll see.

Last edited:
Reactions: atki
I had a similar incident occur to me a few weeks back. only mine was in line of sight and bird definitely attacked mine out of nowhere. very unfortunate and since my P3 never started again I've avoided anything drone related since then (drone depression). I should be able to get my hands on one next couple of weeks or so, but my suggestion is to assume it will not work anymore. the longer it's in the water, the more soaked the components get. I would suggest you find flight logs and upload them to google earth. it will give you a 3-d view of your flight path and most likely last place with a little more certainty of location for diver (I hired one too!). I would cut off any spending to $200 to recover as you won't get much more for the shell and remote if you sell them as parts. this is if you even care about SD card which will most certainly work with a day or two of drying. otherwise leave it in its watery grave and sell the remote online. really unfortunate set of circumstances for you mate. welcome to the drowned drones club. I think I'm going to get FPV racing drone after I get my next phantom to get my itch out in between flights. the phantom is a pretty expensive toy. the only thing that hurts me more is seeing posts of the inspire going down :/ and s-900/s-1000's. ooof! stay strong and stay up

Reactions: atki
Well, no luck with the diver. Guess all I have to go on is the phone logs. We'll see what DJI has to say.

Did he not show up? Or could not find it? Do you have access to a boat? Maybe one of those fish finders or something similar could pick it up? Grasping at straws...you mite be able to hook it with something that has a heavy weight on it.

Okay I just read up on fish finders, they bounce off the bottom and will show rocks and such, then bounce up to catch air in the fish. So one could sonar the bottom for shaped objects if the bed of the water is silt covered it should pop up on the screen. Remember as well the depth of float should be able to be determined by the pond depth. Meaning a sideway sinking of the bird could be about 20 feet off from sink point.

Time for a 24 pack and invite some fishing buddies for a float about.

images

Don't quit

Well, I was at my parents neighbors flying this evening. Took a few flights with no issues. Landed, changed batteries, and went to do a look over the small pond they have next to their house. I was watching the video and ascended and stopped, planning to turn around. Then all I hear is the thing go nuts. I am not sure what happened. As you can see in the video, all I did was increase altitude before hand. I suppose I could have lost a prop, but I had been flying and doing maneuvers much harder on it than what this was.

I will do a dive for it tomorrow and hopefully be able to find it. It isn't too deep I don't think (10ft or so), This is literally the first issue I have ever had. I will be sending this to DJI. Don't think I did anything wrong, so we'll see what they have to say.

I had the exact same thing happen to me and it fell in my pool. Total loss according to my certified DJI dealer. I posted it on this site the only site I have ever written anything on about anything except for my review of a hand surgery book on AMAZON. i was almost universally mocked and accused of not even being an orthopedic surgeon. Two of the replies even used profanity.

I got nowhere with DJI. Fortunately, mine was less than 3 months old and my credit card protection plan gave me a 100% credit. Check out the Phantom 3 reviews on AMAZON and B and H PHOTO. Your problem is not rare. I am preparing a formal FAA complaint as have others as you will see on other web sites.

Good luck, you will need it to deal with DJI service.
Orlando

The diver did show up. We also used a drag hook for about 2 hours, but that would have been pure luck. Lots of stumps and things to contend with as well. Not as easy of a recovery as you would think. It was a holler that had been cut, dammed, and flooded.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues