My P4 went into a free fall today

Reaction score
I'm a fairly new p4 flyer, 37 flights and about 6 hrs of time on my bird. I live in E. Washington hill country. All my flights have been in one location. Eleven minutes into my first flight today the p4 went into an uncontrolled fall into the brush below me. I had a visual on the bird throughout, initially flying about -80 feet below take off point with a slight breeze, 5-10 mph, no wind warnings. No problem. Flew about 1/4 mile away then towards home. Went up to about 148 feet on the way home for better visual. I was about 700 feet from home, watching FPV when I noticed it in a spin, looked up and watched it go down out of my control.
I located the bird in heavy brush, apparently undamaged, except for the right rear access plate being loose. With 50% battery remaining I chose to try a short flight in the yard to see if the thing worked. Auto take off and it tipped into to grass. Second attempt, slight breeze, and went up a short way to hover. Seemed ok. Went up to 23 feet. It seemed to struggle a little to maintain position, then after a little bit dropped into the grass. Don't know what's going on. I have to assume some type of pilot error. Small crack in RR leg at the join. How do I locate detailed flight record? Thanks!

Definitely not normal, not sure how a pilot error would cause it to drop unless u did a csc to kill the motors in the air...

We do have hawks and eagles in the area, but not today. Thanks, as I wondered about it too. Note: it did the same thing later in the yard.

We do have hawks and eagles in the area, but not today. Thanks, as I wondered about it too. Note: it did the same thing later in the yard.
Not sure I would have attempted additional flights, there were no warnings such as compass or IMU popping up on the screen? If you follow the flight link and post up a link on this forum, you will possibly find a solution to the problem. There are some very clever people on this forum that can drill down on your data and help you out.

Flipping over with no wind suggests one of the motors or props isn't working 100%.
Did you check them for damages? Do all props rotate with the same friction?[/QUOTE
Flipping over with no wind suggests one of the motors or props isn't working 100%.
Did you check them for damages? Do all props rotate with the same friction?
Thanks Rene: props look good as new, which is about what they are. I did rotate each prop and the motors seems the same. Looks like I'll have to send the little bugger in for a check up.

Maybe not.. post your log file as mentioned above. These guys know their crap. I suggested giving them a chance... At least you'll know what you're up against.

I'm learning a great deal from you guys. I'm being very careful flying this expensive "camera". I'd be glad to share the flight in question if I can figure out how to pst the flight log(s). Thanks for sharing.

im learning a great deal from you guys. I'd be glad to post my flight log(s) if I can figure out how to access and post them. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: SeabirdP4

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl