My P4 vanished

Reaction score
I was piloting my drone at about 150 ft altitude about a quarter mile away. Everything was operating as normal into about a 2 minute flight, when all of a sudden it said, high winds, signal lost then my phone rebooted. The drone never came home and my phone wouldn't reconnect with it. I have no idea where my drone is. Can anyone help?

Check out your TXT flight log to see if it explains what happened. You can upload and view it online here. If you'd like other people to review and comment on your flight log, then please post a link back here after you upload it.

Reactions: rfaaj
Jesus, any clue as to which direction it headed?

7 seconds into he flight it recorded this
0m 7.6s P-GPS 8satellites 0.3ft 1.0ft 1.1mph 8.1ft 99% 16.97V 4.247V 4.237V 4.249V 4.237V 0.012V Home Point recorded. Return-to-Home Altitude:98FT

It's possible that the disconnect was due to poor signal - there was some data loss prior to that happening - but if so then it should simply have returned home since the home point was set and home was actually downwind of the last reported location. Another possibility is that there was sudden power loss. The disconnect occurred 0.5 s after you went from full forward elevator to centered sticks, which led to a rapid deceleration and change of pitch from -20° (forwards) to 15° (backwards). That kind of maneuver has a history of dislodging an improperly latched battery. Did you do a really thorough search of the vicinity of the last reported location?

screenshot2.jpg

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
There is a bit of snow on the ground in the vicinity.(doesn't help with finding a white drone). I was actually scouting a sledding location before dragging the kids out of the house. Do you think it would have dropped like a rock, or tried to land based on the data?

There probably were teenaged kids in the area. Maybe one of them snagged it before I got there.

There is a bit of snow on the ground in the vicinity.(doesn't help with finding a white drone). I was actually scouting a sledding location before dragging the kids out of the house. Do you think it would have dropped like a rock, or tried to land based on the data?

It would not have landed at that location - it would have returned home to land. If it were a case of power failure then it would have done a rock impersonation.

It would not have landed at that location - it would have returned home to land. If it were a case of power failure then it would have done a rock impersonation.
It didn't come home, so it must have turned into a flying rock. I started to loose signal as i was approaching that row of pines to the south. I was at least 30' above them. I would have instinctively yanked the stick back at signal loss, maybe dislodging the battery. Maybe it fell out of the sky at that moment into the pines, and a kid picked it up? I have my FAA number inside the battery compartment, but not my number or address. I assume this might have been a very expensive lesson.

If a kid grabbed it, there is nothing he can do with it except look at my memory card, correct?

It didn't come home, so it must have turned into a flying rock. I started to loose signal as i was approaching that row of pines to the south. I was at least 30' above them. I would have instinctively yanked the stick back at signal loss, maybe dislodging the battery. Maybe it fell out of the sky at that moment into the pines, and a kid picked it up? I have my FAA number inside the battery compartment, but not my number or address. I assume this might have been a very expensive lesson.

Had it continued on its path it was also around 150 ft from possibly hitting the top of a large tree - at the last recorded point it was only around 70 ft AGL and traveling at 20 mph - but you had centered the sticks and I would have expected it to have stopped short of the tree.

Reactions: Rick_x
Sorry for your loss. I’m aware of people using the “Marco Polo” to locate their lost drones. (Which doesn’t help you now) Most of them said they nearly stepped on their drone but didn’t see it in the woods, tall grass, snow, etc. while following the Marco Polo signal. If not for that, they would never have found them.
So, it might still be there, hung up in a tree, etc. Apparently they’re damned hard to spot.o_O

Reactions: RonanC
If a kid grabbed it, there is nothing he can do with it except look at my memory card, correct?
Man I feel your pain from here,did you try the find my drone on device,should give last know heading.best of luck
Screenshot_20180322-133424.jpg
Screenshot_20180322-133526.jpg

Had it continued on its path it was also around 150 ft from possibly hitting the top of a large tree - at the last recorded point it was only around 70 ft AGL and traveling at 20 mph - but you had centered the sticks and I would have expected it to have stopped short of the tree.
I am a terrible pilot. I will say, that I am very appreciative of this group. Long time lurker
Its last recorded location is in the log. Find My Drone is not going to do any better than that.
Same data as the log. I'll bet a a kid picked it up. In which case it's gone.

Thank you all so much. This group has been incredibly helpful from research before buying 2+ years ago to battery issues a year ago. To this. Thank you all. I will update if I ever find it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180321-204235.png
    Screenshot_20180321-204235.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 522
Was just thinking if for some reason the log stopped recording to device but the drone proceed foward still would it show or does it just sound good in my head,have not tested this,,

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Was just thinking if for some reason the log stopped recording to device but the drone proceed foward still would it show or does it just sound good in my head,have not tested this
You know, I was thinking that too. When the phone rebooted, I attempted to raise it up and steer it back home. I never heard it or saw it.
9189283.jpg

If you cant find humor in things, what is the point of life.

Was just thinking if for some reason the log stopped recording to device but the drone proceed foward still would it show or does it just sound good in my head,have not tested this,,

It's possible that the uplink remained good, in which case further stick inputs could have been acted on but the log would not have recorded them. However, the sudden loss of downlink coinciding with sudden braking makes a battery issue more likely in my opinion.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl