My drone and me in Russia, no internet for 2 months

Reaction score
P5308027.JPG

Dear Pilots,
I am completely new to the forum, but not new to flying phantoms. The picture is shot with me flying a P2.

This summer I will go to arctic Russia (70 degrees north) with my P4a+ to film a documentary about research on geese. As I mentioned in the title, there will be no internet or GSM network available. We do have a generator and I will bring my laptop.
My question is very basic but broad: how should I prepare for this?
- Hardware wise: I have a flightcase, 3 batteries, plenty of spare propellors, Micro SD cables, ND filters, SD cards. Anything else?
- Calibration: I am aware of the need to calibrate everything after arrival. This should do it right?
- Software: I have installed DJI Assistant 2 to fix any problems that might occur.
- Firmware: I am running 0.10.40.1.00. Should I save some older versions of the firmware on my pc?

Thanks for the tips and save flights!

Stefan

Another bird. Too many things to break. All you need is one small interaction with said geese and your gimbal could well be toast. Or at least bring your P2 (P3's are pretty cheap these days).

Looks like a couple of heating bottles wouldnt' be a bad idea either.

EDIT: I'm not sure what an "SD cable" is but I would definitely bring spare cables that run from the controller to the screen (whatever flavor you're running). It's easy to crimp those things and then no signal.

A backup screen - an old cell phone or whatever - isn't a bad idea.

When I go remote I have two complete and separate setups in separate boxes. That way, when one gets sent to Trenton, NJ the other one just might make it with me. YMMV. Consider placing small but important things (screen, battery, cable) in the pocket of traveling companions (if any). Spread the wealth.

My guiding principle is that Murphy was an optimist.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stefan86

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic