My biggest fear... has happened! HELP!!!

I'm leaning towards buying the shell and doing it myself but not sure yet. Would it be better to get the shell from the DJI store or where is there a better one?

Are you mechanically inclined? Can you pull apart something and put it back together again??
I have a background in Accounting. All i did was systematically take photos as i went along.
You will find the hardest part will be unclipping the top shell from the lower shell. Just use playing cards to keep it from re-attaching. Other than that, it was pretty simple. And the gimbal is a complete unit held by a few cables and rubber mounts and 2 anti drop pins.

There is 4 variants.
Shell with full motor tabs and no X brace - cracks reported.
Shell with full motor tabs and X brace - cracks reported
Shell with pointy motor tabs and no X brace (P3 Standard shells) - no cracks reported
Shell with pointy motor tabs and X brace and larger ventilation and motor screw indention - latest release, unreported.
This is interesting data. What is the source?
I ask because we do routinely see cracks reported on P3S shells in Standard/4k and P3 Help forums, but the data here seems to imply that is not the case. Am I reading it incorrectly?
There is no source. Just a bunch of people who got their shells replaced and noticed differences in the shell. Just lift the motor out and look at the tabs. If you have the tabs that a notched out looking like pointy ears then i assume you are safe.
Well of course that part is widely known so I wouldn't ask about that. I was referring to you saying "no cracks reported" for the P3S shell when we routinely see cracks reported on the P3S shell. Am I reading your post incorrectly?

Well of course that part is widely known so I wouldn't ask about that. I was referring to you saying "no cracks reported" for the P3S shell when we routinely see cracks reported on the P3S shell. Am I reading your post incorrectly?
Yes.
At the time, i think the P3 standard was only released for a few months so there was minimal reports of shell issues. i havent caught up since as most P3 users in that post would have upgraded to a mavic pro or P4.

Are you mechanically inclined? Can you pull apart something and put it back together again??
I have a background in Accounting. All i did was systematically take photos as i went along.
You will find the hardest part will be unclipping the top shell from the lower shell. Just use playing cards to keep it from re-attaching. Other than that, it was pretty simple. And the gimbal is a complete unit held by a few cables and rubber mounts and 2 anti drop pins.
Yes, I tare down things and fix them all the time, and put them back together. I would use a white board to draw a diagram for screws and was also thinking of taking pictures.

There is no source. Just a bunch of people who got their shells replaced and noticed differences in the shell. Just lift the motor out and look at the tabs. If you have the tabs that a notched out looking like pointy ears then i assume you are safe.
If you buy a shell from DJI and replace the shell you will notice a difference in the old one and new one.

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me what you think about the email I got and the conversation with DJI? I'm probably going to replace it myself. Seems easy enough.
If you are going to do it yourself, have you thought at all about trying the conversion kit to turn it into a Mavic like body?

I've been watching this video over time and time again. Seems to be the best one I can find, not to long. Hate it when they are an hour and a half long. I'm feeling pretty positive that I can do it.

If you are going to do it yourself, have you thought at all about trying the conversion kit to turn it into a Mavic like body?
Id be interested In that.do you have any links on how to do it and where to buy it?

True, if you remove the screws and separate the shells, even slightly, you could not get the glue on the other half. Plus I would bet, the crack would close.
Makes one wonder about over tightened screws,
Over tightened screws can put even more pressure therefore damaging the drone.

Drill a very small hole precisely @ end of crack, if crack ends in center of leg etc, (not at side of body) so crack will not continue further, if your going to use existing chassis.

I use jb weld for plastic and works great except when mixed it is black. Fills cracks all way through and gives more support. My drone carries much more weight than normal that causes more stress cracks. It is not caused by motor screws, just bad cheep plastic used. Not the best sollution but has worked for over a year now.

Super glue and baking soda is supposed to work good too but don't know if I would chance fixing it with glue, JB weld etc. I would rather replace the shell, and that's what I'm going to do. Might use super glue and baking soda just to hold it together for a flight until I get a new shell.

What about just installing these? This is what I did. (Note: this link is for the P3 and is posted as an example)

Upgraded Version DJI Motor Mount Base Reinforcement Plates Kit for DJI Phantom 3 Professional / Advanced / Standard by JUSTO Amazon.com: Upgraded Version DJI Motor Mount Base Reinforcement Plates Kit for DJI Phantom 3 Professional / Advanced / Standard by JUSTO: Camera & Photo

I was going to ask the same question. I bought a set of these for emergency repairs, and never opened the package.

I was wondering if anyone flies with them installed just for added protection?

I was going to ask the same question. I bought a set of these for emergency repairs, and never opened the package.

I was wondering if anyone flies with them installed just for added protection?
I fly with them. Installed them over cracks. Haven't had a problem so far.

Reactions: Droning in AR

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20