HELP!!! Drowned Phantom 2

Reaction score
I'm new to drones and purchased my first -a used phantom 2- at a local hobby shop going-out-of-business auction a year ago.
We're surrounded on 2 sides by a local power plant lake and my grandson and I decided to utilize the resource by fitting our Phantom with pontoons. We fashioned 2 pontoons from extruded foam board and mated them to the drone landing gear via a light, tubular, carbon fiber frame, ending up with a footprint of around 18"-20" square and less than 5 oz. added to weight. We tested performance with 12-15 land based take-off's and landings before moving to a small landscaping pond where we did that many more take-off's and landings.
I circled out 50-75 yards over the nearly dead-calm lake, landing and taking off several more times. The only performance oddity was a single, odd oscillation/gyration that lasted less than a second. In spite of having never seen that before (even when flying in windier conditions), I dismissed it as coincidence. I flew a couple more laps and was bringing it back in to hand off to my grandson the same oscillation occurred again, this time flipping and dumping it in 2 feet of water where it floated upside down for not more than 30 seconds before I retrieved it.
Using compressed air and without dismantling it, we immediately blew as much water our of it as possible, then powered it up to see what we had....which was nothing. Taking it indoors we sat it in front of a furnace vent for a couple days, after which it would try to power up, but wouldn't complete the entire light flashing routine it always goes through. I tried re-pairing with the radio and everything else I could derive from the book and finally shelved it. It sat until 6-8 weeks ago when I tried it again and this time it would run through most of the start up routine, but still wouldn't spin the props and finished the routine with all lights flashing red. I again tried re-pairing with the radio several times and everything else I could think of or could glean from the book, but nothing changes.
All that to get to a few questions:
Is it now just a cool looking paper weight?
Does anyone have any idea why it almost works, but not quite:
Any way I can determine exactly what the problem is and/or fix it myself?
If not, can it be sent anywhere for repairs and are they reputable (I get the impression from the website that DJI doesn't service drones this old)?
If it has to be professionally repaired, is it worth the cost?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm new to drones and purchased my first -a used phantom 2- at a local hobby shop going-out-of-business auction a year ago.
We're surrounded on 2 sides by a local power plant lake and my grandson and I decided to utilize the resource by fitting our Phantom with pontoons. We fashioned 2 pontoons from extruded foam board and mated them to the drone landing gear via a light, tubular, carbon fiber frame, ending up with a footprint of around 18"-20" square and less than 5 oz. added to weight. We tested performance with 12-15 land based take-off's and landings before moving to a small landscaping pond where we did that many more take-off's and landings.
I circled out 50-75 yards over the nearly dead-calm lake, landing and taking off several more times. The only performance oddity was a single, odd oscillation/gyration that lasted less than a second. In spite of having never seen that before (even when flying in windier conditions), I dismissed it as coincidence. I flew a couple more laps and was bringing it back in to hand off to my grandson the same oscillation occurred again, this time flipping and dumping it in 2 feet of water where it floated upside down for not more than 30 seconds before I retrieved it.
Using compressed air and without dismantling it, we immediately blew as much water our of it as possible, then powered it up to see what we had....which was nothing. Taking it indoors we sat it in front of a furnace vent for a couple days, after which it would try to power up, but wouldn't complete the entire light flashing routine it always goes through. I tried re-pairing with the radio and everything else I could derive from the book and finally shelved it. It sat until 6-8 weeks ago when I tried it again and this time it would run through most of the start up routine, but still wouldn't spin the props and finished the routine with all lights flashing red. I again tried re-pairing with the radio several times and everything else I could think of or could glean from the book, but nothing changes.
All that to get to a few questions:
Is it now just a cool looking paper weight?
Does anyone have any idea why it almost works, but not quite:
Any way I can determine exactly what the problem is and/or fix it myself?
If not, can it be sent anywhere for repairs and are they reputable (I get the impression from the website that DJI doesn't service drones this old)?
If it has to be professionally repaired, is it worth the cost?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I'm sorry for your mishap. If you can't make it work, I would move on. Maybe a Phantom 3 would meet your needs. they are cheap and way better than the 2. Just my advice: stay away from the pontoons. It's sort of like if you play with fire, you will get burnt. Your case, wet.

Pontoons have to be designed for the drone. The prop wash can be disrupted causing unusual flight characteristics.

Attempting to start, without proper dry time, could kill any chance of saving. Battery is not repairable but the drone might, after proper cleaning. Better yet, start over with something newer. Don’t spend any money on this one.

Using the search function above, will give you several posts about how to properly clean your drowned bird.

Reactions: KachemakDiver

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic