My biggest fear... has happened! HELP!!!

So today I was going to go for a flight and I noticed stress cracks under one motor.
151b52a213a8e61df7afaf85d200752d.jpg
e553c4c25d3238eaf741334e52987a1a.jpg

I really don't want to spend a ton of money on repairs. Anyone know how much it would cost and how long for a return? I've heard of people using super glue and baking soda, it hardens like a rock. Should I try this? Anyone have any advice? Is it safe to fly? I wouldn't think so because it would get worse.

Please help!!!!!
Super glue and baking soda is a wonderful thing. Don't screw around with spending tons of money on something you can take care of yourself.

I would still want to replace the shell tho. I just might use super glue and baking soda until I get a shell.
If you do replace the shell, watch a YouTube video on how to do it. it really helps and there are quite a few to choose from. AND have a magnetic bowl to put all of the screws in,

If you do replace the shell, watch a YouTube video on how to do it. it really helps and there are quite a few to choose from. AND have a magnetic bowl to put all of the screws in,
For sure! I have watched a video several times and I'm going to make a diagram for where everything goes, label screws in separate dishes, and take pictures, or even a video so I can look back for reference.

For sure! I have watched a video several times and I'm going to make a diagram for where everything goes, label screws in separate dishes, and take pictures, or even a video so I can look back for reference.
If you are going to do it, you might as well do it right. Sounds like you have all the bases covered! Good luck.

There are also many Certified DJI repair centers in the USA if it is out of warranty. Some are very affordable. I have used Drones Made Easy in San Diego. I had the bottom shell replaced. They charge $45.00 an hour plus parts. I think the part was about $40.00

I know the motors are 18.00 dollars because I replaced all 4 on my Phantom 3 Pro

Its nothing to do with that. Loosening them may cause the screw to fall out.
There is a batch with shoddy plastic. I got DJI to send me a 'revised' replacement lower shell. Replaced it myself. Takes about 90 minutes or if you know what you are doing.
There is actually 4 different lower shell versions floating about. The last known good version is the one with the enlarged side vents.

Dont worry about DJI care. Though i had mine done through warranty, you could try to arm wrestle them for a replacement. Tell them that you know about the shoddy batch of shells and that it would be bad press if this fell on an unsuspecting child due to a manufacturers fault. etc.
Mako, I don't think DJI cares at all about bad press! They get it every day almost from stuff they do or lie about.
Jim
WA5TEF

Why not install them now as a preventive measure?
Why do people think those guard mounts will prevent cracks? Is that something already proven or just a red herring sort of thing like sweeping cracks under a rug?

Me too. Out of sight out of mind and a false sense of security. Lol.
Not sure if you guys are aware of how they install but you replace the existing motor mount screws with longer screws so these plates are screwed through the case into the motor thus sandwiching the case between the plate and the motor. So, if the stress cracks are a result of the motor torqueing the plastic shell and cracking from the screw holes then I think it's probably a fairly good bet that the plates will not allow the cheap plastic case to torque and crack. At least that's how I see it.

Edit: I see you called them guard mounts. Not sure if you thought I was referring to blade guards. The plates I refer to are reinforcing plates designed to deal with this cracking issue at the motor mounts.

Reactions: UpLift Aerial
Not sure if you guys are aware of how they install but you replace the existing motor mount screws with longer screws so these plates are screwed through the case into the motor thus sandwiching the case between the plate and the motor. So, if the stress cracks are a result of the motor torqueing the plastic shell and cracking from the screw holes then I think it's probably a fairly good bet that the plates will not allow the cheap plastic case to torque and crack. At least that's how I see it.

Edit: I see you called them guard mounts. Not sure if you thought I was referring to blade guards. The plates I refer to are reinforcing plates designed to deal with this cracking issue at the motor mounts.
Good point! I've never thought about that that way before.

So I took the camera off just to take a look and I found a spot on the outside wire where the wire is exposed. Do I get a new wire or do I just fix it up with something or should it be fine? Anyone know what part number?
92ef919c7391ddaa47e1cf1eb5e676f5.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT