My biggest fear... has happened! HELP!!!

yep.. mine was warranted.. Their invoice that they sent thru e mail showing status of repair, was lower shell $8.00
but they covered everything. shipping to & from too..

See.. that's what's up in the air for you.. If they do indeed admit to having a faulty shell, they might cover your shipping. There is no way to tell till you contact them..
you will ALWAYS have the option to decline their offer too..
1 strike against you being out of warranty, but what about those faulty shells too..
no way to tell yet.. chat em up, I think you can still get em now.

yep..now ya got it.. good luck.. let me know too..

Hey Mako79.... Are there, or what are the ways to tell what lower they used on my returned repair?
I can see everyone jumping up to go check their bird for hairline cracks..
That's how I noted mine..

There is 4 variants.
Shell with full motor tabs and no X brace - cracks reported.
Shell with full motor tabs and X brace - cracks reported
Shell with pointy motor tabs and no X brace (P3 Standard shells) - no cracks reported
Shell with pointy motor tabs and X brace and larger ventilation and motor screw indention - latest release, unreported.

You don't need to open your phantom. Just simply remove the 4 motor screws and lift out the motors and have a peek.

How to tell if you have old shell or new...

I have placed rubber washers between the screws and airframe and I must admit I do sometimes fly in a demanding manor and I have had no issues. When I first read about these crack problems I was thinking maybe its the metal against plastic with no give causing the problem hence I put rubber washers between metal and plastic to ease the stress.

Reactions: railimages
There is 4 variants.
Shell with pointy motor tabs and no X brace (P3 Standard shells) - no cracks reported
Shell with pointy motor tabs and X brace and larger ventilation and motor screw indention - latest release, unreported.

You don't need to open your phantom. Just simply remove the 4 motor screws and lift out the motors and have a peek.

So I will tell DJI I want a good one. Does DJI make them all?

So I will tell DJI I want a good one. Does DJI make them all?

I would imagine that DJI, like many other manufacturers, outsources its production to a number of sub-suppliers. I really can't see them making making all the shells themselves given the volumes of units they produce annually.

There is 4 variants.

This is interesting data. What is the source?
I ask because we do routinely see cracks reported on P3S shells in Standard/4k and P3 Help forums, but the data here seems to imply that is not the case. Am I reading it incorrectly?

I ask because we do routinely see cracks reported on P3S shells in Standard/4k and P3 Help forums, but the data here seems to imply that is not the case. Am I reading it incorrectly?
Yeah, this doesn't make any sense IMO. I mounted prop guards on the AC before I ever took a real flight, and I found all the screws to be ridiculously tight, so I backed all of them off. They all had a blue substance on them, which I presumed was locking compound. I carefully removed each screw and dabbed a tiny amount of Loctite 425 on them before popping them back and tightening them finger, not "man" tight.

Reactions: Oso
Ok, so. I contacted DJI support and this is the conversation...
dji chat.png

Then this is the E-mail I received...
"Dear Tyson,

Please send your unit into our DJI repair facility in North America. If you're located in the United States of America and Canada, where UPS can reach to, we'll send you a shipping label within 2 business days. The steps you must take to properly ship your product to us are listed below.

Note: Failure to complete any steps below may cause delays in your repair, and could require our logistics team to ship your product back without repair service provided.

1. Please download and print the repair form by clicking on this link:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/dji-www/up...hnical+Support+Form+For+End+Users+Edited.docx

2. Please include a copy of your proof of purchase, as well as the email address you used to activate your product (if applicable). The exclusion of either may disqualify you from obtaining warranty service or delay service. Please send us a copy of your proof of purchase and keep the original proof of purchase for your records.

Please provide the DJI account you used to activate your product (if applicable) on the form linked above.

3. Please review our warranty policy via the following link: After-Sales Service Policies - DJI

4. Do not ship swollen, punctured, or visibly damaged batteries. If you do ship batteries in this condition, we are required to recycle them and cannot ship them back to you. If your battery was damaged in a crash and you would like to be considered for warranty replacement of the battery, you will need to provide a proof of purchase, pictures of the damage, and serial number(s) for each battery affected in the package you ship to us.

5. Please do not include any product accessories, such as batteries, propellers, chargers, tuning stands, micro SD cards, cables, and etc. unless explicitly instructed by DJI support staff to do so. If you choose to send in any of these items, you acknowledge that DJI is not liable for any of these products.

6. Please ship back your aircraft body, gimbal and remote controller, so we can perform adequate flight testing for your product and guarantee that everything works perfectly before we it ship back. If the defective unit is your battery, then term 6 is not applicable.

7. Please do not include any non-DJI equipment, such as aircraft third-party accessories, third-party cases, SD cards, or third-party transmitters. If you choose to send in any of these items, you acknowledge that DJI is not liable for any of these products and that we are unable to test your DJI products with any third-party equipment.

8. Pack your equipment safely. Include additional protection such as bubble wrap and packing peanuts. Keep in mind that any product shipped merely in its on-shelf packaging (i.e. the white Phantom box) is not acceptable and will automatically qualify it for invoiced repair. You can always place the product box or case in a cardboard box or the original backpack or case for your DJI product.

Once received by our North American repair facility, your unit will be considered an active repair. The ETA for repairs is approximately 1-2 weeks from the date it is checked in by our facility. On that day, you will be emailed. In the rare event that more than 1-2 Weeks have passed since your unit was checked in, please call 818-235-0789 for further assistance.

Once your unit has been checked in, and you can use your Case Number to check the status of your RMA here:

DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

9. Include your DJI Care or Osmo Shield info on the form linked above.

Be sure to include all information requested for DJI Care or Osmo Shield to be applied if you have a DJI Care or Osmo Shield plan. Please email a copy of your receipt showing your DJI Care or OSMO Shield purchase back to this ticket. If you need assistance in locating your product’s serial number, please use the DJI care FAQ: DJI care - keep flying

10. Please do not ship TB48 batteries. You can contact DJI Customer Service with any TB48 issues you’re experiencing, and they will help you solve your problem. TB48 shipping is potentially dangerous, and we may not be able to return the battery to you if it's defective, warranty or not.

11. Please sync your flight records by pressing the aircraft icon in the left top corner of your DJI Go app first, then pressing the cloud icon in the top right corner, and tell us the DJI account you used when the accident happened the form linked above.

DJI Technology, LLC

17301 Edwards road,Cerritos, CA 90703

Case No.: CAS-903140-K1M7Y7 (Please include this number on the shipping label and on the front and back of the package. Not putting this number on the outside of your package may cause check-in delays ).

By sending in your product for repair, you agree that you have read and accepted the repair terms as stated above.

Please note: For your protection please do not send any sensitive information, including credit card numbers, via email. This e-mail address is not secured to receive credit card information. Any credit card information received through this e-mail address will be destroyed upon receipt. We apologize for the inconvenience; your protection is our priority.

If you have any questions (DO NOT REPLY THIS EMAIL), please feel free to contact DJI North America Technical Support, Mon-Fri 9:00AM - 5:00PM (PST) via the following three channels:

Tel: +1 (818) 235 0789
Email: [email protected]
Online Support: DJI Support - All Products

Thank you for choosing DJI.

Best Regards,
DJI Support"

They didn't say anything about payment as far as I understand. But they do say DJI care and warranty. Sooo... do they expect me to have one of the 2??

2 Problems...
1) I don't have warranty or DJI care so don't know if i have to pay or they will cover it including shipping
2) I bought it used/second hand so therefor I did not register it and don't have proof of sales

I'm leaning towards buying the shell and doing it myself but not sure yet. Would it be better to get the shell from the DJI store or where is there a better one?
It's not as easy as it sounds... I saw a YouTube video and it's hard as hell, specially when dealing with the gimbal system. I would rather send it to dronenerds.con and pay for an outstanding service repair facility.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
There is no source. Just a bunch of people who got their shells replaced and noticed differences in the shell. Just lift the motor out and look at the tabs. If you have the tabs that a notched out looking like pointy ears then i assume you are safe.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj