Motor reinforcement plate is not enough.

Reaction score
I've had some small cracks in the base of the Phantom's arms where the motor attaches. I have used the motor reinforcement plates on them for a few weeks.

I can now report that they don't seem to work. I just checked the Phantom and one o the arms is cracked almost all the way. I'll post pictures later but I am going to try and contact DJI again to get a replacement. They didn't answer the first time so we'll see.

Reactions: Lori
Sorry to hear about your ongoing situation.
Yes, please post some pics, of this faulty Phantom.
I check mine rather infrequently, & still nothing to report. Thankfully.

RedHotPoker

Which reinforcement plates did you try?

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1442779935.842064.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1442779946.178737.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1442779955.053675.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1442779963.771011.jpg

Three of the 4 arms are cracked and one rear arm is so badly cracked I decided to not fly it anymore. I don't want it to drop on someone's car.

Here are the pictures. I have used the plates I designed and shared but the arms were already cracked. I believe the plates can prevent a catastrophic motor separation but e arms still crack and eventually it will fail.

Reactions: Lori
I'm wondering if it would have helped to install the reinforcements plates before the cracks started to appear.

unless the plates fit 101% perfect i really cant see how they help, surely they must also be bonded to the shell to provide any sort of strength ?

I believe the plate will prevent the screws from pulling through the shell and/or causing the screws to put pressure against the shell as it twists and/or moves a bit. If the screws are pulling down on the plate instead and the plate is distributing that force against a large area of the shell arm, then it's probably a force the shell could withstand.

That's my theory anyhow :)

but a few thou difference in the depth of the inserts will add to the stress in the holes and cause damage
or
the slightest high spot in the plates will also put added stress on the shell
or
the inserts being 1 thou to wide will stress the holes

at best they will stop the motor/prop flying off IMO

Last edited:
How come all 5 screws original screws that you remove to fit the reinforcement plates are still in? Did you put the original screws back in without the plates just for the photos? Confusing

It seems like once the cracks have started that its too late to use the strong arm plates. That's just an opinion . We need more testing and results. Has anybody used the strong arm plates prior to having cracks and still had cracks show up after they were installed ?

but a few thou difference in the depth of the inserts will add to the stress in the holes and cause damage
or
the slightest high spot in the plates will also put added stress on the shell
or
the inserts being 1 thou to wide will stress the holes

at best they will stop the motor/prop flying off IMO
Ive been saying that for months. People have this twisted sense of security from a product that cant be doing any good at all. The ONLY way a support plate could do any good is if it cradles ALL of the plastic below the motor and inserts totally through the mounting holes to a perfect depth. I know no one has produced a support like that yet. And likely never will. Get them fixed properly by allowing DJI to support their product in replacing the shell!

Reactions: Oso and robsquad
I kind of figured those plates wouldn't help. That's why I stuck with Bondic. Still holding up and procrastinating the new shell I have

What has happened to DJI and their quality it has became very poor! I will most likely will part mine out and stick with my tried and true F450 with a NAZA V2 and a 2.4 G data link and get away from what seems to be a toy grade product.

Last edited:
Reactions: n6vmo
How come all 5 screws original screws that you remove to fit the reinforcement plates are still in? Did you put the original screws back in without the plates just for the photos? Confusing

I took the pictures as I was putting the original screws back in.

Ive been saying that for months. People have this twisted sense of security from a product that cant be doing any good at all. The ONLY way a support plate could do any good is if it cradles ALL of the plastic below the motor and inserts totally through the mounting holes to a perfect depth. I know no one has produced a support like that yet. And likely never will. Get them fixed properly by allowing DJI to support their product in replacing the shell!
I agree 100%. I watched the install video on the UAV BITS site. That's when I saw how flexible the pieces actually are. I was surprised how much they flexed when installing the screws. I really don't see how they can help at all with preventing cracks. I do however see how they would help with a motor falling off completely if the motor mounts are cracked. My guess is that many people who think they are protected actually have cracks under the UAV BITS plates but they don't know they have cracks.

Also, didn't the OP say that he was using plates that he designed himself? We don't see them in his pictures, so there's no telling what designed he used.

Reactions: JoBe
What has happened to DJI and their quality it has became very poor! I will most likely will part mine out and stick with my tried and true F450 with a NAZA V2 and a 2.4 G data link and get away from what seems to be a toy grade product.
There is a VERY small percentage of cracks in the P3 line. Exaggerating a problem doesn't make a pandemic! Its not different than the issues with 1.2.6. A few people had an issue, while hundreds of thousands didn't. An easy solution was offered by the manufacturer and most CHOOSE to not take the solution. Now its the owners fault for not being proactive and responsible about it! NOT DJIs

These are the plates I used. My cracks are only at the motor screws. I used them in case there is a complete separation of the motor from the arm. The cracks kept progressing so now it is going back to DJI for repair.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1442857675.603638.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31