Motor reinforcement plate is not enough.

Not sure if this is necessarily a fix for the cracks. Really seems that they are working the newer propulsion system motors into the phantom line. There is supposed to be a reduction in cogging with these which may help reduce wear on the chassis but I doubt this was specific for the cracks.

Doesn't it look like there is more surface area of the new motor in contact with the shell? That in itself would seem to act as a big washer thus giving a stronger support to the shell.

Doesn't it look like there is more surface area of the new motor in contact with the shell? That in itself would seem to act as a big washer thus giving a stronger support to the shell.
Yes, I would agree-- the stress is spread out instead of all the force focused to the center of the motor from the individual mount holes. Maybe we have an engineer P3 flyer that will weigh in on this engineering questions.

If that's the case, that doesn't help us that have the older motors unless we want to purchase a new board so we can use the new motors.

I'm wondering if it would have helped to install the reinforcements plates before the cracks started to appear.
There are lots of TV programmes ...Aircraft Investigation, which show that stress cracks emanating from riveted panels ....get worse even if overplated with a new panel. The overplates are required to be taken off to inspect the original cracks...according to the programme. The over plates are not a cure, they are a temporary repair.
The strong arm plates, in my opinion...may slow down any cracks ...but are no cure and never can be. The cure is in the hands of DJI designers. Any add on " remedy" is either a placebo or a delay in the process.
It's a fact heat can affect plastics and some types can become brittle.
The motors have a braking system....which in effect is pushing and pulling the motor base to and fro. It's strong enough it seems to unscrew props with metal inserts used on P2.
Are these cracks found on the previous Pantom versions? Did they have the same motors and a braking system?

So it's not a matter of IF it cracks but WHEN?? Just another reason I have been tempted to bail on my Phantom and sell it off. I figure its either going to just fall out of the sky on its own or shell crack.

Anything we can do to prevent the cracks? Should I loosen or tighten the motor screws?
Yes, use this product, Its all you need......... Slather it in and pack it down in the motor mount area Repairing Broken Plastic - Yuneec Q500+ Mods Called Plast-Aid

With the posts showing new motors and a new body she'll aimed at a solution for the cracking problems, DJI appear to have been working on a fix for some time. The car giant VW are recalling all their defects in at a cost in the billions.....just wondering what the situation is now with all the. "Old" body shell issues still likely to occur. Can we expect a recall of them and a free replacement P3 or a phased recall to swop body shells? Unlike many on the forum, I do not think I could take my P3 apart and swap the electronics into a new shell.

I've had some small cracks in the base of the Phantom's arms where the motor attaches. I have used the motor reinforcement plates on them for a few weeks.

I can now report that they don't seem to work. I just checked the Phantom and one o the arms is cracked almost all the way. I'll post pictures later but I am going to try and contact DJI again to get a replacement. They didn't answer the first time so we'll see.

A solution to plastic cracking, reinforcement plates, etc. is to find someone that is familiar with fiberglass repair, remove motors and stop drill all running cracks in plastic, then sand, apply fiberglass resin with very tiny bits of fiberglass cloth for strength. Following repair, lightly sand areas to get bottom of plastic surfaces very flat/level/smooth. May want to sand and then hand fit metal reinforcement for proper fit but do not install plates yet. When you're satisfied they fit flush to each other, apply a light coat of latex caulk between plates and plastic and install. The rubber caulk will act as a vibration isolator and also allow both surfaces to mate together better. If you should need to later remove plates, motors, etc, they'll be easier to remove. Note: Make sure that during the repair, all holes are properly covered to prevent being filled/obstructed with fiberglass resin as these holes are countersunk holes and will cause an problem upon final installation and make sure to gently remove motors/components out of the way to eliminate getting resin on them and damaging them during the process.
Good Luck.

The fix to all these stress/crack related posts would be to have fiberglass top and bottom shells or carbon fiber. Obviously plastic is the cheapest way out for DJI but I'm sure you'll soon be seeing aftermarket fiber or carbon shells. Finally, DJI knows what the deal is but it's the same similarity as buying a new car/truck/SUV, following purchase of one you wished it had……………and OMG, just found out that next years model will have that option available! Marketing101!

There is a VERY small percentage of cracks in the P3 line. Exaggerating a problem doesn't make a pandemic! Its not different than the issues with 1.2.6. A few people had an issue, while hundreds of thousands didn't. An easy solution was offered by the manufacturer and most CHOOSE to not take the solution. Now its the owners fault for not being proactive and responsible about it! NOT DJIs
III% Streve What did DJI propose as the easy solution? Just wondering as a precaution, I was looking at reinforcing plates and found this thread. Just got my P3S and no cracks yet, however I try to stay proactive with preventive maintenance! Thanks!

I've had this problem for years. I fly a lot and my flights average 8-10 kilometers covered distance each. Hence, I've cracked a lot of phantoms. A couple FC40s, a few 2s, and also 3s. When the 4 came out the improvements looked solid. And they were. But....it still cracked. In a different spot but still cracked. I cracked 2. Then ordered a Mavic. This one folks, I'm glad to say, knock on wood, still hasn't cracked after 150, 8 km+ flights. That is a lot of mileage. All of it at sport even in strong wind. There is no solution to cracking if you put in the heavy mileage. Unless it's a Mavic. The one piece arms/motor mounts of the Mavic solve a lot of problems.

I've had this problem for years. I fly a lot and my flights average 8-10 kilometers covered distance each. Hence, I've cracked a lot of phantoms. A couple FC40s, a few 2s, and also 3s. When the 4 came out the improvements looked solid. And they were. But....it still cracked. In a different spot but still cracked. I cracked 2. Then ordered a Mavic. This one folks, I'm glad to say, knock on wood, still hasn't cracked after 150, 8 km+ flights. That is a lot of mileage. All of it at sport even in strong wind. There is no solution to cracking if you put in the heavy mileage. Unless it's a Mavic. The one piece arms/motor mounts of the Mavic solve a lot of problems.
Thanks for the reply bighi, I have an Autel X-Star and starting a minor stress crack as well! Guess there's no way around it except maybe.......well it may be awhile but anyway! Thanks again for the input!

I am in the middle of replacing my shell. It appears the new shell I bought off Amazon has more reinforcement in the motor area than the original. It looks like DJI may have retooled the shell mold. Hope they used better plastic too.

I am in the middle of replacing my shell. It appears the new shell I bought off Amazon has more reinforcement in the motor area than the original. It looks like DJI may have retooled the shell mold. Hope they used better plastic too.
Sweet that's good to know, thanks for letting us know that Mark!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik