Motor reinforcement plate is not enough.

And I believe that with time, anyone with the first revision shell will eventually have cracks. The design of the arm is weak.

And I believe that with time, anyone with the first revision shell will eventually have cracks. The design of the arm is weak.

There has to be more than one mold and possibly more than one vendor.

The 'problem' shells could easily be only a fraction of the total first revisions produced.

These are the plates I used. My cracks are only at the motor screws. I used them in case there is a complete separation of the motor from the arm. The cracks kept progressing so now it is going back to DJI for repair.

View attachment 31398
I have the set that covers the mounts and the 2 screw holes above the motor mount screws in your picture. Never seen these before, are they UAV bits?

Anyway, the ones I have seem to work. But I've also glue arm seems and installed. So maybe that's why....

The old ones are lasting very well so the new ones SHOULD only be better.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

These are my design. Phantom 3 motor mount reinforcing bracket. by Zoti

I used the one without the two extra holes because mine wasn't cracked there.

As far as the mold for the shells, I'm pretty sure there was originally only one and when the cracks started appearing they made some changes.

Ever work in manufacturing?
Ever work with injection molding?

There's no way all the shells come from one, discrete, mold.

(Eggs in one basket)

I'm not sure you can call it an easy solution. 6 weeks or longer to replace parts. Some have the cracks some don't some fly more aggressive than others. There may be specific dates of manufacture that are an old design or from a different source. Who knows all the variables? DJI should. Keep and eye open of cracks developing.

Reactions: snowghost
Its a hell of a lot easier to be down for a few weeks to replace a case than it is to be down for AND in court for months getting a crash repaired and fighting a law-suit for your neglecting to repair it! And don't think DJI is going to come to the rescue! Its not their fault a person decided to not fix something!!

An easy solution was offered by the manufacturer and most CHOOSE to not take the solution. Now its the owners fault for not being proactive and responsible about it! NOT DJIs[/QUOTE

What is the easy solution? And what is the owners fault?

So how do you tell you have a first revision shell? Is there a SPECIFIC indication unique to ver.1.0 shells?

Its a hell of a lot easier to be down for a few weeks to replace a case than it is to be down for AND in court for months getting a crash repaired and fighting a law-suit for your neglecting to repair it! And don't think DJI is going to come to the rescue! Its not their fault a person decided to not fix something!!

That's assuming DJI solved the issue with the new shell design.

There is a VERY small percentage of cracks in the P3 line. Exaggerating a problem doesn't make a pandemic! Its not different than the issues with 1.2.6. A few people had an issue, while hundreds of thousands didn't. An easy solution was offered by the manufacturer and most CHOOSE to not take the solution. Now its the owners fault for not being proactive and responsible about it! NOT DJIs

The problem is far more widespread than you seem to understand. Many people aren't inspecting closely enough and become shocked when they finally realise how bad it really is.

So how do you tell you have a first revision shell? Is there a SPECIFIC indication unique to ver.1.0 shells?

Look closely and you can see the lower one has an "X" reinforcement on the motor mounts. Logically, I think the X reinforcement is the revised shell. I bought mine in May 2015 and its the top one in the pic below.
However, the original poster of the image said that he got cracks on the "X" shell (see under the glue) and went to get his shell replaced. The shell supplied is the one pictured on top, without the "X" reinforcement..
Plastic shell variants.jpg

I think both types of shells crack and the dealer/seller was getting rid of old stock.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20