More channels hack

All the newest versions DJI go and firmware.......leave the image trains quality all the way to the left. On devices as small as ours the quality is fine. Wish auto worked for all 32 but maybe a future updated hack.....lol. I'm thrilled as channels 13-20 have way too much action on them where Iive. Anyone have a copy of the old file? Could always reinstall DJI go but I'd like to have the original file.
There is no original file. You're simply adding a new one to the folder.

Unless I'm mistaken, in which case: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=32351987&postcount=30434

Ben, how can that be if one doesn't need to pilot app or DJI go to operate the drone? If the app crashes you still have control right?

Reactions: tcope
The channels were reduced to only 8 because of federal regulations requiring that. I believe the federal regulations were put in place to specifically limit the distance you can get flying with FPV goggles because the regs say you must always fly line of sight. Since you can't see your bird more than a mile away, they want to be sure you can't fly it using just the video feed. DJI took away the extra channels to comply with federal regulations, so no amount of complaining will make them give them back to you. I don't know that they will go out of their way to close a loophole in a hack that they did not create and are therefore not liable for. My guess is that goes in a category called, "Not my Problem" for DJI, but that is only my guess.

They removed the channels do to different licensing requirements to operate on certain frequencies such as ham radio license. This has absolutely nothing to do with an attempt to intentionally limit how far you can fly via FPV.

Reactions: RyanK and flyNfrank
Ben, how can that be if one doesn't need to pilot app or DJI go to operate the drone? If the app crashes you still have control right?

You would need the app to force select the channel. If you use your Phantom 3 without the app you will be stuck with the 8 channel auto selection. Once you manually select a channel within the app I am pretty sure it will remain on that selected channel even if the app crashes or you turn the tablet or phone off and on.

Reactions: omarkatwe
They removed the channels do to different licensing requirements to operate on certain frequencies such as ham radio license. This has absolutely nothing to do with an attempt to intentionally limit how far you can fly via FPV.

This is cut and pasted from an email I received from DJI support when I asked them about the 32 channel issue a few days ago:

"Sophie Zhang (DJI)

Aug 6, 11:38

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your reply.

For the channel issue, I am sorry to tell you that it's strictly follow the international law and regulations, and we're unable to provide you the way to get it back to 32 channels."

Last edited:

Attachments

• DJI Config File2.zip
    1,015 bytes · Views: 599
Ok, so back to the control of the craft. This change is for both video and craft control? How can that be if I still have RC to craft control if the app crashes? Also have control strictly flying goggles via hdmi? And once again thank God for the guy who did provide the way to get the 32 channels

Oh ok Ben just saw your reply. This would assume that somehow the pilot app or DJI pro is somehow manually changing the freq. stored on the RC radio and storing it in the radio itself until changed?. I wasn't under that assumption......

Ok, so back to the control of the craft. This change is for both video and craft control? How can that be if I still have RC to craft control if the app crashes? Also have control strictly flying goggles via hdmi? And once again thank God for the guy who did provide the way to get the 32 channels

That's because you do not need to use a tablet or device to control your aircraft. You can fly your phantom without connecting anything. But when you do have a tablet connected it allows you to change the settings of your phantom such as the radio frequencies its controlled by. that doesn't change the fact that both the control and video signal are handled from the same transmission on the same channel. You just are stuck with auto frequency selection unless you use the app to do a manual selection.

Would be a critical question to ask DJI as to what happens with video and craft control if there's an app crash. Many times we loose video before RC communication and I wonder if it would stay in the custom Chanel or revert to auto mode. If BOTH video and craft control are on the same channel or freq. it becomes harder to understand them not interfering with each other being on a mutual channel and even harder for one feed to go out yet control remain......maybe I need a second cup of coffee....lol

Is video not as robust as control? I loose video transmission often and never loose control.

I need some help from the smart guys in the room...:rolleyes:

Can someone please confirm that this channel mod works with the new GO app?

If so, is there any change to the file installation process ?

TIA.

:harry

To answer the question of the app crash, I have had it happen twice. You do not lose control of the craft. It will hover in place until you do something with your RC controls. If you can see your craft, you can fly it back to yourself by line of sight. If you can't see it, then you can either reboot the app and restore the video link, or press return to home and it will come back. Once you see it, you can control it manually if you like. I have even shut off the tablet completely, restarted the tablet, and then restarted the app, and the aircraft was sitting right where I left it, hovering waiting for me to do something. I did not try to fly it while the tablet was off just because I couldn't see it and didn't want to run into anything, but I did have RC control. And yes, the video signal is significantly weaker than the RC transmission signal, especially with fewer channels to choose from. hidaven, I have started a conversation with you that you can respond to if you want an earlier version of DJI Pilot with all the channels that will choose the strongest automatically.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but there is a downside to doing this hack. You all need to be aware, that if the used frequencies (channels) are located in the Amateur Radio ham bands, you would need a license to operate there. The FCC takes Section 301 enforcement pretty seriously.

"........... Section 301 of the Communications Act prohibits the ``use or operat[ion of] any apparatus for the transmission of energy or communications or signals by radio'' without a license issued by the Federal Communications Commission

"............. The Commission takes enforcement of Section 301 seriously. Parties found operating radio stations without FCC authorization will be subject to a variety of enforcement actions including seizure of equipment, imposition of monetary forfeitures, ineligibility to hold any FCC license, and criminal penalties.........

https://transition.fcc.gov/eb/sed/ulo.html

Be sure to look at the MANY persons and companies that have had to appear or respond to the FCC for operating on those frequencies. I'm almost positive DJI removed them because they encroached into frequencies that need a license to operate on.

Also................. the use of jammers are illegal too.

https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-14-1785A1.pdf

Not telling you to do or not do. Just be aware of potential illegality, and possibly fines or more, if caught.

Reactions: spankybear

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers