Mile Club

Reaction score
I know if you are a P3A or P3P person this is no big whoop, but I just flew my P3S to 1.45 miles (>7700 feet) before a weak signal warning caused me to chicken out. It was a mostly over-water flight with a 10 cent paper and aluminum foil windsurfer antenna.

To be honest, I don't know if there is a reason for me to go any further.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
And what the distance you got without 10 cent paper and foil?
I didn't test without the WS, so I really can't say. Perhaps tomorrow is the side-by-side comparison.

Last edited:
Nice! I'd love to see this. I can never ever et this close. What angle are you pointing the antenna & wind surfer? Can you show pics?

I made my own 3D printed wind surfer with aluminum foil

When I enabled RTH and it swung around, I lost video signal. Up until then it was solid.

Video should be on the SD card.

Reactions: dirkclod
With just a completely stock set up I have gotten to 1.7 miles....clear weather. Video was getting laggy on my Ipad, but good enough to see where i was going still

I have done multiple well over a mile flights. The 1.8 mile flight i actually ran out of battery as i had been screwing around, before i took off to see how far it would go....I think i could have gotten to 2 miles.

I have done NOTHING to mine...just a matter of keeping the antenna pointed properly, nothing in the way, shift the TX around and fine the best location for signal strength.

I have video from the SD card, and have edited and sped it up, and will post as soon as it gets to youtube. I lost only the video feed from the bird.

I just built the cheap windsurfer out of paper and aluminum foil according to: antenna - Tom's Tech Time

With just a completely stock set up I have gotten to 1.7 miles....clear weather.

I am going to try this in the same scenario without the WS soon. Perhaps the WS is not worth the paper it is printed on.:)

With just a completely stock set up I have gotten to 1.7 miles....clear weather. Video was getting laggy on my Ipad, but good enough to see where i was going still

I have done multiple well over a mile flights. The 1.8 mile flight i actually ran out of battery as i had been screwing around, before i took off to see how far it would go....I think i could have gotten to 2 miles.

I have done NOTHING to mine...just a matter of keeping the antenna pointed properly, nothing in the way, shift the TX around and fine the best location for signal strength.
Post some pics of proof, please. Thx.

Nice! I'd love to see this. I can never ever et this close. What angle are you pointing the antenna & wind surfer? Can you show pics?

I made my own 3D printed wind surfer with aluminum foil

Here are some pics of the antenna:

I just kept the antenna vertical and perpendicular to the aircraft location or parallel to the landing gear.

Video will be up shortly I hope.

Pic of the flight map off the Ipad...and measured on google earth. Not exact, but close enough. This was just earlier this afternoon. I actually was shooting video, I was showing it to some friends. I all ready wiped the card, otherwise i could upload a video if you are doubting me. Ironically, as i was screwing around showing some people how it worked, i pointed the drone at us, and you can clearly see my controller is stock in the video. I can still view the video in the DJI GO app, but it says i must connect the drone to download. the drone is in my office, while I am back home. I wiped the card anyway, so doubt it would download.

Like i said, i can still view the video on Ipad....anyway to get it off of that? If anyone really cares or is doubting what i am saying. As I said before, i actually ran out of battery, not transmitter signal. It was getting weak, but hadn't lost it yet. I had flown around the farm for several minutes before going on this flight (obscured under the red arrow and home icon)...I was trying to get over the top of my Grandpa's old house, and i think i would have made it had i not run out of battery.

IMG_20160102_150201294.jpg

IMG_20160102_150120558_HDR.jpg

Still learning the app...just figured out i can show distance on there:

Looks Like i have done at least 3 between my phone and my Ipad. (and yes i am aware that the altitude info is cropped out. ;) )

IMG_20160102_152353220.jpg
IMG_20160102_152556585.jpg
IMG_0064.JPG

Pic of the flight map off the Ipad...and measured on google earth. Not exact, but close enough. This was just earlier this afternoon. I actually was shooting video, I was showing it to some friends. I all ready wiped the card, otherwise i could upload a video if you are doubting me. Ironically, as i was screwing around showing some people how it worked, i pointed the drone at us, and you can clearly see my controller is stock in the video. I can still view the video in the DJI GO app, but it says i must connect the drone to download. the drone is in my office, while I am back home. I wiped the card anyway, so doubt it would download.

Like i said, i can still view the video on Ipad....anyway to get it off of that? If anyone really cares or is doubting what i am saying. As I said before, i actually ran out of battery, not transmitter signal. It was getting weak, but hadn't lost it yet. I had flown around the farm for several minutes before going on this flight (obscured under the red arrow and home icon)...I was trying to get over the top of my Grandpa's old house, and i think i would have made it had i not run out of battery.

View attachment 39234

View attachment 39233

Added video to original post...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: dirkclod
And what the distance you got without 10 cent paper and foil?

I went and flew the same route without the Windsurfer. I started to get noticable video and signal artifacts around 3000', and signal loss and RTH in the 6200' range. I didn't back off with this when I started getting the signal errors early like I did before, so I think the WS might put me out as far as 8000+.

Here is the Healthydrones link, as my screen recorder crashed on my Android. HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

That is amazing man! Glad I haven't modded mine yet...if I can't see it it's too far IMO. Kinda scary. Thanks for sharing/testing comparison for us. I always seem to lose video feed first and then have no idea what is happening on long flights.

I know this question is stupid but how do i go past 500 meters because that is how far the app lets me go ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.