Mile Club

So, to give some more data, my stock P3S got around 2500 feet max before RTH and I lost control/video till about 2000ft out on the way back.

I had a very small windsurfer on, but not sure it did much of anything.
a2c3e076c004b07ac2290cca453fe5cb.jpg

Well after my last long flight I had 29% left. After looking at the flight data it said the average wind speed was 24.9mph with Max gust at 28.4mph. I'm sure the bird was fighting the wind pretty bad. That might be why mine was lower.

Well after my last long flight I had 29% left. After looking at the flight data it said the average wind speed was 24.9mph with Max gust at 28.4mph. I'm sure the bird was fighting the wind pretty bad. That might be why mine was lower.
I didn't really pay attention to what I started with but normally shows 98% . It wasn't no wind this evening on the ground but might have been up. Was around 32 degrees .

I'm drooling [emoji2] Not sure if I want to do the dipoles mod since they are fairly expensive for a set of 4.
They are but you know I just like to mess with this stuff .
I was looking at the new Standard specs and It looks to have more power in the TX and would like to see what this antenna setup would do but
not for no 1K :eek:

500 meters is maximum vertical height, not horizontal distance.
Mistakenly posted in wrong area. Not sure how this happened.

Last edited:
The 500 meter limit is height that cannot be changed.
120 meters is the height limit (aka ~400'). 500 meters is the default range limitation set if you have range limiting turned on. You can change that number or turn off Max Range.

That's just it...maybe it DOES matter? I have it the "traditional" way and it doesn't work all that great. Need to really test it though and post back.
Sorry I didn't have time yesterday to respond to your post.

It shouldn't make a difference, the cardboard is holding the foil. The signal is being reflected off the foil. For foil I used the tape you can buy for vent ducting and taped to a divider that is a 24 pack of soda pop then cut it out.

Here is link that I followed.

DIY Antenna Booster for Phantom 3 | DJI Phantom Forum

I suppose you are right about that. Thanks for the link to the one you used!

and yes i am aware that the altitude info is cropped out. ;) )

Why crop it if you are going to make it obvious you were above 400'? Had you not said something no one would have even noticed most likely (and even more likely no one would have said anything)

I have video from the SD card, and have edited and sped it up, and will post as soon as it gets to youtube. I lost only the video feed from the bird.

I just built the cheap windsurfer out of paper and aluminum foil according to: antenna - Tom's Tech Time

I am going to try this in the same scenario without the WS soon. Perhaps the WS is not worth the paper it is printed on.:)
I've gotten a little over 2 miles with a home made windsurfer. It was partially over water.

Why crop it if you are going to make it obvious you were above 400'? Had you not said something no one would have even noticed most likely (and even more likely no one would have said anything)
lol..oh yea

120 meters is the height limit (aka ~400'). 500 meters is the default range limitation set if you have range limiting turned on. You can change that number or turn off Max Range.
Im pretty sure you can change the altitude limit to 500 meters in the settings, and can turn off altogether the range (horizontally). This is based on what I have read though, dont have a p3... yet.

Im pretty sure you can change the altitude limit to 500 meters in the settings, and can turn off altogether the range (horizontally). This is based on what I have read though, dont have a p3... yet.
You can and welcome to the forum Travis :)
Is good you are reading before you get yours;)

Like I said, horizontally you can turn off MAX RANGE, but by default it is set to 500 meters. You can make that whatever you want. As for vertical, at least here in the states, in GPS Atti mode, you can't fly higher than 120 meters (394 feet) keeping you below manned aircraft flight space, and on the good side of the FAA.

Like I said, horizontally you can turn off MAX RANGE, but by default it is set to 500 meters. You can make that whatever you want. As for vertical, at least here in the states, in GPS Atti mode, you can't fly higher than 120 meters (394 feet) keeping you below manned aircraft flight space, and on the good side of the FAA.
I could have sworn there is an option in the settings that you can set the vertical limit to 500 meters also. I personally will be staying under 400' so it doesnt matter. Are you 100% certain you cant set your vertical limit to 500 meters? Wont have one for at least a couple weeks so I cant really argue with you, just know what Ive read.

edit: maybe recently changed? tried 3rd party software? (litchi)

another edit:...l Dirkclod, Thanks, I thought there was a setting . Doesnt matter as I plan to be EXTRA careful/safe. I have watched/read SOOOO much, im mostly worried about hardware/software error. But plan to not fly above water (at first at least), so should be ok i think. (have a syma x5sc that Ive got down pretty well)

Last edited:
Sorry N9 didn't see you had answered already and I have mine set at 500m and it will go 500m if I chose to . No need to go that high as you said but it will .

I could have sworn there is an option in the settings that you can set the vertical limit to 500 meters also. I personally will be staying under 400' so it doesnt matter. Are you 100% certain you cant set your vertical limit to 500 meters? Wont have one for at least a couple weeks so I cant really argue with you, just know what Ive read.

edit: maybe recently changed? tried 3rd party software? (litchi)
Sorry N9 didn't see you had answered already and I have mine set at 500m and it will go 500m if I chose to . No need to go that high as you said but it will .

You guys are right. I just checked. What I was remembering was if you attempt to set it above 400' you get an FAA warning screen that you need to accept or decline. I cower in the face of the FAA, so I declined, obviously. I stand corrected.:(

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4