...contacting airports/helipads within the 5 mile radius thing...

Reaction score
Just trying to play by the rules here. I have 3 "airports" within the 5 mile radius (provided by the B4Ufly app.

1) Gliderport - ~3.5 miles away, number disconnected when I call (using google's provided number). I think a farmer owns it/owned it for crop dusting to be honest. No traffic controller.

2) Some ritzy neighborhood that has an airfield available to residents for small planes. 4 miles away. No traffic controller.

3) Large hospital, 1.7 miles away, they have a heliport. I call, lady that answers literally laughs upon my request to "speak to the person that manages traffic for the heliport". Transfers me to Emergency room, who transfers me to risk management who tells me nobody at that hospital does that, but someone at another hospital can provide info. Call the other hospital, person there says Susan isn't the person, but she gathered my info and will have the actual person get with me... eventually.

So.... is the basic rule of thumb that is you are near an ACTIVE airport? One with actual planes/helicopters flying around are to be notified? I feel like these 3 are all exceptions.

Have you tried using Hover ap? I find it more useful than the one you mentioned.

If it's a nonactive airport/strip (as in planes and heli no longer use it period) I wouldn't sweat it. But anything else you need to make contact to CYA.

In terms of the hospital you'll have to contact the entity that controls the actual helicopter flights (not a tower etc) and create an open dialog with them. Keep in mind that the heli may be stationed at another facility and they may be where the controlling entity is located. That's a major concern that many people simply over look. I finally found (through lots of trial and error and ultimately got help from a FaceBook friend) the contact information where the local MediVac heli is stationed/controlled. I now call them 24hrs prior to the flight, directly before the flights take place (giving my name, phone #, location of flight, duration of flight period, and max altitude I'll be flying) and I call at once I am back on the ground and the flights are concluded for the day. This has worked out GREAT because I've been called back on a few occasions when MAMA ((Mountain Area Medical Airlift) was dispatched to my area. They give me ample warning of where she's coming from, altitude, and where she is headed. It's worked splendidly.

For transparency I am a commercial operator so I am legally required to make contact and get prior approval for near airport operations.

Have you tried using Hover ap? I find it more useful than the one you mentioned.

If it's a nonactive airport/strip (as in planes and heli no longer use it period) I wouldn't sweat it. But anything else you need to make contact to CYA.

In terms of the hospital you'll have to contact the entity that controls the actual helicopter flights (not a tower etc) and create an open dialog with them. Keep in mind that the heli may be stationed at another facility and they may be where the controlling entity is located. That's a major concern that many people simply over look. I finally found (through lots of trial and error and ultimately got help from a FaceBook friend) the contact information where the local MediVac heli is stationed/controlled. I now call them 24hrs prior to the flight, directly before the flights take place (giving my name, phone #, location of flight, duration of flight period, and max altitude I'll be flying) and I call at once I am back on the ground and the flights are concluded for the day. This has worked out GREAT because I've been called back on a few occasions when MAMA ((Mountain Area Medical Airlift) was dispatched to my area. They give me ample warning of where she's coming from, altitude, and where she is headed. It's worked splendidly.

For transparency I am a commercial operator so I am legally required to make contact and get prior approval for near airport operations.

Good info! I am hoping the hospital calls me back with a reliable point of contact so I can do just that. Mine is for rec use only (for now), but I am learning a lot and who knows where this goes.

I fly for an HEMS company in AZ. The hospitals that I fly into have security do all the coordination with the multiple helicopter operators that land at these pads. Call security and they can alert our Communications Center for when you're planning to fly in the area. Should work similar at other locations as well.

Regarding the small personal gliderport and airfield you mentioned, it would be the owner of that Aerodrome that you would have to contact directly if they have no traffic controller.

update: The Vice President of Operations for the hospital called me back, applauding me for trying to do the right thing, but they have no policy and nobody to talk to, but he promised he would spearhead an effort to create a policy and also mentioned if any drone service were needed in the future I'd be his guy. That was nice. Expecting a follow-up call in a week.

Good deal, I also have one that's like 4.9 miles away, I think it's a personal airport, never picks up, rings and rings, I've since quit tryin to call it, for one, it's some guy that has no report, or way to contact, and second it's barely in the five miles, if it was 4.9 from a medium airport even if feel more inclined, but this one dude who's never there?
I'm not calling it anymore

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Sounds like you've done your research, and there's no buddy you need to contact, now go out and fly would you,i've been flying by my small airport for a year and a half nobody's gave a crap

Reactions: umneycreep
If you can't reach anyone then use common sense and as they say, we are the bottom of the food chain when it comes to using airspace. So if you see an airplane, etc. lower down/land and give them the right of way.

Just trying to play by the rules here. I have 3 "airports" within the 5 mile radius (provided by the B4Ufly app.

1) Gliderport - ~3.5 miles away, number disconnected when I call (using google's provided number). I think a farmer owns it/owned it for crop dusting to be honest. No traffic controller.

2) Some ritzy neighborhood that has an airfield available to residents for small planes. 4 miles away. No traffic controller.

3) Large hospital, 1.7 miles away, they have a heliport. I call, lady that answers literally laughs upon my request to "speak to the person that manages traffic for the heliport". Transfers me to Emergency room, who transfers me to risk management who tells me nobody at that hospital does that, but someone at another hospital can provide info. Call the other hospital, person there says Susan isn't the person, but she gathered my info and will have the actual person get with me... eventually.

So.... is the basic rule of thumb that is you are near an ACTIVE airport? One with actual planes/helicopters flying around are to be notified? I feel like these 3 are all exceptions.
The person to ask about this that I know would DEFINITELY have the right answer is @daconproductions . He is a private pilot and once gave me detailed info on the proper way to not only contact the necessary towers but what to say to them to get authorization.

For Canada a great resource is the Transport Canada Aeronautical Information Manual (AIM). It lists all airports and with contact details for each and specifics regarding that airport. If operating in controlled airspace than the UAV operator should contact the airport tower, aerodrome operator and inform them of your operations and leave contact information. A Notice To Airmen (NOTAM) should be issued to the correct authority (listed in AIM) and the UAV operator should have a Restricted VHF - Aeronautical license to give a notice to air traffic of your operations.

Now if you are a hobbyist and flying in uncontrolled airspace it would be still good practice to know of your surrounding facilities, and if there might be any air traffic to know they have the right of way.

Same issue here. I live 1.8mi from a hospital helipad. No helicopter is stationed there, but they take arrivals from several (unspecified number) different private companies. Nobody at the hospital had a clue who to call. Gave me phone numbers to several life-flight companies that bring patients to the hospital. I called a few, they all wanted to be notified of my drone flights (although that's definitely not what the faa guidelines say I'm required to do). So eventually, I got transferred to the regional international airport control tower, who said they could take the notification. I'm about 9 miles from that airport, so technically, I don't think I have to inform them either. What I'm not doing is calling 15 different companies who might fly a helicopter to the hospital to let them know.

It sure seems as the "the man" is trying to make it virtually impossible to meet all the regulations associated with flying drones in my state. Trying to follow the rules has never been more frustrating.

Same issue here. I live 1.8mi from a hospital helipad. No helicopter is stationed there, but they take arrivals from several (unspecified number) different private companies. Nobody at the hospital had a clue who to call. Gave me phone numbers to several life-flight companies that bring patients to the hospital. I called a few, they all wanted to be notified of my drone flights (although that's definitely not what the faa guidelines say I'm required to do). So eventually, I got transferred to the regional international airport control tower, who said they could take the notification. I'm about 9 miles from that airport, so technically, I don't think I have to inform them either. What I'm not doing is calling 15 different companies who might fly a helicopter to the hospital to let them know.

It sure seems as the "the man" is trying to make it virtually impossible to meet all the regulations associated with flying drones in my state. Trying to follow the rules has never been more frustrating.
I've got two small hospitals within 5 miles of me, neither have a helicopter and the pads aren't even close to their ERs. Really you just need to worry about the hospitals with the true emergency flight for life facilities which are normally in big cities, at least around these parts. I called the closer one and they were confused so I just don't worry about them anymore.

Reactions: BamaMania

Not notified..........permission ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj