Sent P3A for new case (motor mount cracks) am told it's toast.......

Reaction score
New here, been reading discussions for months, 1st post - sorry it's so long....

I have a P3A that I sent to DJI for a replacement shell as the casing under 3/4 motors had cracks. I was using the drone for real estate aerials a day or two before I sent it to California. It took a week to get there from the Alabama gulf coast via UPS with a prepaid label from DJI. I got results of examination a little while ago and was astonished.

This message is from DJI Support:

A quote detailing the cost to repair your product Phantom 3 Advanced is included in this Email. Click Repair Progress Inquiry for the detailed damage information. For further inquiries, please contact [email protected]

Remark
Dear customer, We regret that the service is not covered by warranty based on the results of damage assessment, please find details as follow: Water damage We will either repair it or replace it with a product that’s new or equivalent to new in both performance and reliability after payment has been received. For more information, please visit (After-Sales Service Policies - DJI)"
Item List
Phantom 3 Professional and Advanced Aircraft (Excluding Remote Controller, Camera, Battery, and Charger) V2
Quantity: 1
Net Price : 349.00
Total Price: 349.00

Phantom 3 Advanced HD Camera
Quantity: 1
Net Price : 259.00
Total Price: 259.00

Shipping Cost

Total Amount

Discount

Total Payment (USD$)

I called to try and find out how this transpired and asked the clerk if I could talk to person that did assessment. Answer sounded like it was being read and was a big no. They must be a secret society. I asked clerk if she understood that the drone was functioning and taking pictures a day or two before I sent it to them. She would never acknowledge yes or no that she understood my question.

I don't know where to go from here as they have me over a barrel. I bought the drone used from a friend in July 2018 and have had no issues with it at all. I crashed it one time, it wasn't in or near water, and was flying it later the same day. I have a call in to my friend to see what he knows about its life previous to mine.

The clerk told me no way it got water damaged in route as it was sealed. I asked to speak to someone higher up the chain. I suspect she was in Asia or some other far away place and she said she would escalate and give me a call tomorrow. Probably be some other higher up in a far away place saying no as well.

Kind of reminds me of when United broke Dave Carroll’s guitar and how he was treated. IF you’ve time to kill search for united breaks guitars and watch the first video he put out about it. 19+ million views and cost United 180 billion in stock drop.

Maybe I should just pay the $516 and have a new Phantom, at least that’s what she told me it would be. And she said there are no phantoms in production now. Guess I’ll do that and just sell it or keep as backup. Already bought a Mavic Pro Platinum so I can keep working…….

If anybody has any advice or experience on how to get to technicians please let me know and thanks!

Welcome to the forum!

If I were you, I would just buy a new shell and replace the cracked one myself. Its not hard, though a bit time consuming. There are lots of posts here and YT videos showing the process. The last I checked, new shells were in the $60 range.

Will DJI send it back to you as is?

Also, they have built in water indicators that change color. Its likely that it got wet at some point before you bought it used.

Reactions: mbaggs
Welcome to the forum!

If I were you, I would just buy a new shell and replace the cracked one myself. Its not hard, though a bit time consuming. There are lots of posts here and YT videos showing the process. The last I checked, new shells were in the $60 range.

Will DJI send it back to you as is?

Also, they have built in water indicators that change color. Its likely that it got wet at some point before you bought it used.

I thought about that. I wonder if condensation going from a/c house to summer humidity would cause indicator strip to change. The part about the camera being bad mystifies me as it was working when it left the house. Must be out of their specs. Thanks for your input.

I thought about that. I wonder if condensation going from a/c house to summer humidity would cause indicator strip to change. The part about the camera being bad mystifies me as it was working when it left the house. Must be out of their specs. Thanks for your input.
FYI - I doubt there is anything wrong at all with the camera. My guess is that they saw the indicators, didnt do any bench testing, and sent out their standard email offering a refurb unit.

Reactions: JoBe
Just bang your head against a wall. You would get more done doing that than arguing with DJI. Higher up I believe is just made up. Don't buy their refurbished. It can be worse than the one you have. Have a independent shop work on it or do it yourself. Good luck.

Just bang your head against a wall. You would get more done doing that than arguing with DJI. Higher up I believe is just made up. Don't buy their refurbished. It can be worse than the one you have. Have a independent shop work on it or do it yourself. Good luck.

Thank you sir! I see a few out there when I search, any particular one that stands out above the others for customer service and quality of repairs?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20