Mavic Release Discussion

Perhaps we should wait a few months before overloading with excitement. The Phantom 3 had some stability issues. We raved and I still do for the phantom 4, it is a great piece of kit. The Mavic solves a lot of issues; weight, set up time and a few cool commands that can be made without having to touch the controls. I love the idea of the Mavic but when you read forums about the Yuneec Hex, the outstanding complaint was about too many moving parts. I'm not trying to piss on your parade folks but I want to see how durable the folding parts are on the Mavic. The Phantom series has and still is serving us well and one day I would like to see a Phantom 5 with the all dancing all singing gadgetry of the Mavic but with an 18 or 20 MP camera. Besides, I don't have a purse to put the Mavic in , I have the backpack to place all my P4 in.
Good points NL, although I preordered a Mavic, I know there's going to be issues. Each and every new product must go through a public testing period before kinks are worked out. I recall the excitement about the P4 when first announced, I owned a P3P at the time and swore I wouldn't jump on the "new" bird until a pro model or some advanced unit surfaced. Well, DJI suprised me as well as others by sticking with only this one model and I ended up selling my P3P and purchasing an Inspire 1 Pro.
Although I love my I1, I missed flying my Phantom yet stuck by the aforementioned and didn't buy a P4. I went as far as buying an Autel X-Star Premium as a second drone but was sadly disappointed and returned it. I believe the P4 is now a proven quad and wouldn't hestitate to own or recommend one. I've been sitting idle on the sidelines thinking what to do next and of course enjoying the heck out of my I1 when suddenly DJI sprung the Mavic on us. Is it perfect, absolutely not however, it does fill a huge void on convenience and for that simple reason, I have to own one. FWIW, I've never owned or flown any drone for business/commercial purposes, just simply for the enjoyment of flying and the great video/pics they deliver.

Reactions: Fplvert
Perhaps we should wait a few months before overloading with excitement. The Phantom 3 had some stability issues. We raved and I still do for the phantom 4, it is a great piece of kit. The Mavic solves a lot of issues; weight, set up time and a few cool commands that can be made without having to touch the controls. I love the idea of the Mavic but when you read forums about the Yuneec Hex, the outstanding complaint was about too many moving parts. I'm not trying to piss on your parade folks but I want to see how durable the folding parts are on the Mavic. The Phantom series has and still is serving us well and one day I would like to see a Phantom 5 with the all dancing all singing gadgetry of the Mavic but with an 18 or 20 MP camera. Besides, I don't have a purse to put the Mavic in , I have the backpack to place all my P4 in.
DJI stated the Mavic has survived over 5000 cycles of unfolding the arms. It is highly unlikely the arms will fail in its usable lifetime.

Reactions: Dronefriend
Hey, I have skimmed through these threads, but can't find the answer whether the Mavic only shoots in 4K. With my p3p I don't use 4K as currently I don't have a 4K playback system.
Just wondering if it has the same variety of video recording possibilities?

Thanks
David

I had that same feature over a year ago with my Yuneec Q500. I used it once. For me it wasn't that important.
Agreed. It depends on the person. I am using a canon 70D for my land based photography and the Olympus TG-4 for any underwater photography. For me I do not need the flexibility of the detachable gimbal. Of course I could definitely see where it would come in handy.

Winter is coming here in Chicago, I'll wait to see how people like it. Come spring I might get a new bird. For the time being, I'll stick with the P3P.

Just three things to consider before I buy one in addition to my P4, for easier travel:
1] Will filters for the P3P/P4 fit the Mavic?
2] Will someone make an aftermarket adapter so that phones thicker than 8.5mm can be used? My current phone is 10.5mm thick, altho 30mm shorter than the max 160mm. A replacement phone would be about $180 more, minimum, and I can't use my iPad mini 3.
3] Is the video quality up to the P4? Some early tests say not.

1) Newb question, what's a filter and what does it do?

2) someone said here on the forum that he will work on an adapter for a bigger phone/iPad as soon as he have a Mavic!

3) according to several other users, nothing is wrong with the footage. Search for 4K Mavic Test Footage on YouTube for a video of a professional photographer/film maker in order to get his opinion

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

1) Newb question, what's a filter and what does it do?

2) someone said here on the forum that he will work on an adapter for a bigger phone/iPad as soon as he have a Mavic!

3) according to several other users, nothing is wrong with the footage. Search for 4K Mavic Test Footage on YouTube for a video of a professional photographer/film maker in order to get his opinion

It's like sunglasses for a drone.

Just three things to consider before I buy one in addition to my P4, for easier travel:
1] Will filters for the P3P/P4 fit the Mavic?
2] Will someone make an aftermarket adapter so that phones thicker than 8.5mm can be used? My current phone is 10.5mm thick, altho 30mm shorter than the max 160mm. A replacement phone would be about $180 more, minimum, and I can't use my iPad mini 3.
3] Is the video quality up to the P4? Some early tests say not.

1 no, dji Will release nd filters later on, you could expect after market is already looking into it.
2 who knows, again after market is into everything it seems
3 time is moving fast, you should re-investigate and you will be surprised about the story developments.

Did they say how it stand when the arm hit a branch? Will it fold or break?
Being that they fold into the body, some of the force of a forward and backward crash may be negated.

I bought the P4, two extra batteries, Manfrotto backpack and some other odds and ends back in June. Love the P4, but have been planning some trips, one of them being Thailand. Just the other day I was sitting there looking at my P4 in the bag and was contemplating how much of a pain it s going to be to transport it. Then I saw the Mavic unveiling. Preordered as soon as I saw it pop up on Amazon, got a delivery date of Oct18-26. Immediately posted my P4 on CL for $1200. That gave me two weeks to sell it. Got a bite the next morning and it's gone. Kind of miss my P4 now but I feel I got a halfway decent price, considering how much the new ones have dropped already. I'm concerned about the video quality but I'm all in now and I really don't think I would have taken the P4 to Thailand. The Mavic I will.

One question - I've seen all the DJi teasers and see that the gimble guard is on sometimes and other times not. Wonder if it's a mistake because I can't imagine you'd get very good video through that thing.

Good for you and good decision, gimbal guard is what is says, guard. It is not meant to be on while filming but when you use it for fast moving low across the field or woods it might be a very good idea to sacrifice some clear footage for a little bit protection.
I can imagine that after market will create a crystal clear protector soon :)

Winter is coming here in Chicago, I'll wait to see how people like it. Come spring I might get a new bird. For the time being, I'll stick with the P3P.

If it's a winter like last year, you're going to miss some great flying time! I had the same reservations but since this is my first drone purchase I couldn't wait any longer!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT