Mavic Release Discussion

Will be interested to see how much difference the CE mode makes to the distance quoted. Bearing i mind that UK law doesn't allow out of sight flight then it's largely irrelevant lol.
Still want one though, sorely tempted to preorder at quadcopters in the uk.

Hmm waiting on those tilted horizons threads popping again...

674d354c33e10875cefcb9a400539abd.jpg

As seen on iJustine's initial footage[emoji4]:

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Am I the only one hoping the Mavic was going to be a racing drone?

Can't really justify getting another camera drone. I have a P3P and Inspire already.
look at dji snail propulsion system

I wonder if gopro be like...."WTF!!!"

Gopro spent several years to get their drone out and DJI probably put theirs together in less time and more tech. Its what you get when playing with the best I guess

Reactions: scootrkitz
Will be interested to see how much difference the CE mode makes to the distance quoted. Bearing i mind that UK law doesn't allow out of sight flight then it's largely irrelevant lol.
Still want one though, sorely tempted to preorder at quadcopters in the uk.

upload_2016-9-27_22-52-53.png

As taken from the specs page.

Reactions: Kwaka Pants
Anyone notice with the controller being so small i wonder what the battery life ia going to be like.

For the bird if u make it smaller/lighter then u can make the battery smaller, but that doesn.t apply to the controller i wouldn.t have thought

My guess is the controller doesn.t have as long a battery life or it doesn.t charge ur phone

I wonder what the Max distance is listed on the spec page:

upload_2016-9-27_22-59-6.png

If it's a fail-safe preventing the bird to go further from the takeoff point some modders would be unhappy but then why list 0 wind??

Watching a couple reviews and there's a lot of tilt. Top right is always higher than the left side.

Wonder if that's because of the Gimble only being connected from one side.

Anyone notice with the controller being so small i wonder what the battery life ia going to be like.

For the bird if u make it smaller/lighter then u can make the battery smaller, but that doesn.t apply to the controller i wouldn.t have thought

My guess is the controller doesn.t have as long a battery life or it doesn.t charge ur phone

So...

Used this tool (1st result in google, no affiliation whatsoever).

Used the battery specs from the specs page.

Gives about 2,2 hours or about 2hours and 10 minutes battery life for the controller.

Reactions: LakeTravis
I gotta say that there is way to much emphasis put on whether the mavic is a phantom killer and if dji will ditch the phantom series, its not going to happen. Two totally different drones, dji needed to fill this category of small sport drones to keep their market share up. Enjoy the phantom series and lets chill out a bit when it comes to phantom killer's :)

Watching a couple reviews and there's a lot of tilt. Top right is always higher than the left side.

Wonder if that's because of the Gimble only being connected from one side.

Well most 3D gimbals over light cameras are.

I think it's a non-issue as I see how it works on mine, I will see tilted horizons under strong crosswinds and always in the same tilt angle as the bird.

My theory is that the horizon is mostly corrected from accelerometers values and gravitational pull and the forces resulting from the bird compensating constantly for the wind to stay in place at the birds's scale affect its perception of the vertical by definition gravitational pull, thus tilting the horizon.

Now the Mavic is lighter and the camera being aligned/at the same level with the body and its centre of gravity would mean that the above is even more accentuated in the Mavic's case.

Don't know if any f this makes sense...

I don't know where you guys keep coming up with 4 miles... DJI says 8 miles...
Mavic Specs
AIRCRAFT
Weight (including battery and propellers) 1.62 lbs (734 g) (exclude gimbal cover)
1.64 lbs (743 g) (include gimbal cover)
Max Ascent Speed 16.4 ft/s (5 m/s) in Sport mode
Max Descent Speed 9.8 ft/s (3 m/s)
Max Speed 40 mph (65 kph) in Sport mode without wind
Max Service Ceiling Above Sea Level 16404 feet (5000 m)
Max Flight Time 27 minutes (0 wind at a consistent 15.5 mph (25 kph))
Max Hovering Time 24 minutes (0 wind)
Overall flight time 21 munites ( In normal flight, 15% remaining battery level )
Max Flight Distance 8 mi (13 km, 0 wind)
Operating Temperature 32° to 104° F (0° to 40° C)
GPS Mode GPS / GLONASS

The video I posted above stated something about a transmission range of 4.2 miles so I assumed that was its listed range without ever seeing the specs. Sorry, but even so, over 4 miles is spectacular...and 8 is just unbelievable.

what really got my attention is the DJI googles. sad there's not much information on that one.

would be perfect if DJI released a bundle paired with the goggles in time for Christmas.

The new OcuSync tech looks rad as well. dat mad range is sweet. RIP GoPro Karma.

Looks like the controller only fits smartphones? no tablet compatibility?

Reactions: konidair

Personally, I will give my Mavic's tilted horizon a pass if its not "too" bad, if it is similar to my P4 due to the Mavic being smaller and probably lighter. The still I see in this post is bad, but watching iJustine attempting to open the P4 case when she got it, shows she doesn't appear to be the sharpest tool in the shed. I may be wrong but she may not have calibrated the IMUs before her flight and/or the wind near the ocean was just too strong to allow for the Mavic to straighten out the horizon.

what really got my attention is the DJI googles. sad there's not much information on that one.

would be perfect if DJI released a bundle paired with the goggles in time for Christmas.

The new OcuSync tech looks rad as well. dat mad range is sweet. RIP GoPro Karma.

Looks like the controller only fits smartphones? no tablet compatibility?
That one package the Mavic introduction video showed was their $1,299.00 which didn't include them. I'm hoping they will, but I'm betting if not, a vendor surely will.

Also, due to the connectivity, there is no worry of having to instal an HDMI connector to the controller to use them with the Mavic.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20