lower frame cracking on my phantom 4

If you bought it brand new and send it in I would make sure they don't send you back a refurb.

I bought it brand new back on Dec 26.

I purchased the black edition at Best Buy so I'm assuming I'm screwed as far as them repairing/replacing with black parts.

I'm starting to think that my first DJI drone will be my last DJI drone.

This is clearly a HUGE problem with these....

Well I'm now on board with you all. Found a hairline crack top half starting at the motor.

This is B.S.!! I have absolutely babied this thing!

So what is the deal with DJI's warranty concerning this obvious flaw? It clearly states that the frame is not covered at all.

Are they honoring your all's returns for repairs?

Mine is 5 months old.
Yep, welcome to the club. No crashes, no hard landings and no tip overs, but I still had cracks. Again, I got a new one back so that was good, but I'm past my warranty period. Again, I will never purchase another DJI Phantom if they continue with this design.

Well good luck with it and hopefully they'll just send you a new Black one in exchange. I'm still on the fence about sending mine in or not. I've got the cracks stopped/repaired and no new ones are showing up so it may be ok.

I'm not sure what other drone can go two miles away reliably and take good video. Cracks or not I'll be flying dji for a while. I just don't see anything even close to the capabilities of Phantom or Mavic.

Last edited:
I don't know if you've been looking or not but there's a lot of companies out there bringing some pretty nice stuff to market now so it's just a matter of time before somebody gives DJI a little competition.

I just noticed a crack the other day. It broke my heart. My p4 has about 40 cycles on the battery. I can't say how much it's flow cause I got it used but I suspect it hasn't been in the air that much because the P.O. had the battery set to discharge after 1 day so I imagine it was charged more than one that's set to 5 days or whatever. It did get crashed but I checked every inch of it when I bought it and it was clean. A week later and it has a crack. I can't send it to DJI so it's my problem. I'm going to epoxy it from the unexposed side while I have it apart doing the gimbal repair and reinforce it with something stronger than the plastic.
0036ea25a062fc7b62fafefca5ae83a1.jpg
Just a thought . I never push my battery in hard and listen for the click as they tell you to do in the dji support tutorials. I always depress both locks and push it in and then lightly pull to make sure it's in . Never had issues with cracks around battery compartment or batteries coming loose ✌️

here was the stress cracking of my drone. I just got an invoice from DJI for $239. Replacing frame parts and gimbal. I have 60 flights from 3 to 10 minutes. I hand caught about 50 of these flights (landed on the ground first 10 flights). I am very careful with the drone as I use it for my real estate business (faa certified part 107). I usually fly in winds under 10 mph. only used sports mode twice. I fly between 9.7 and 17 mph in flight. I was wondering if anyone knew if repairs are made before or after invoice and how long repairs take after payment. I noticed a similar invoice (same exact repairs) on another phantom 4 pilot only NO charge for shipping. I asked for expedited shipping and saw a charge of $12. the customer service rep indicated two-day shipping instead of 5 days with expedited shipping. HMMM, we will we see if I get back my same drone and when.

Attachments

• stress crack 1.jpg
    stress crack 1.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 293
  • stress crack3.jpg
    stress crack3.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 291
  • stress crack4.jpg
    stress crack4.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 341
Last edited:
Well I'm now on board with you all. Found a hairline crack top half starting at the motor.

This is B.S.!! I have absolutely babied this thing!

So what is the deal with DJI's warranty concerning this obvious flaw? It clearly states that the frame is not covered at all.

Are they honoring your all's returns for repairs?

Mine is 5 months old.

Right with you. Babied mine too. Fly in minimal wind, temp 50 or above, rarely used sport mode, take supreme care, etc. Found crack in January below motor on bottom shell. 8 months old. Sent it to dji. Took 3 weeks including 2 weeks shipping (Ohio to California to Ohio). No charge. Did not get back the same drone. I was happy they addressed the issue under warranty but, I've owned 2 Phantoms (3 and 4) and both developed stress cracks under motor. If I buy another dji drone it will have to be a new design or 2nd version Mavic. The plastic in the Phantom line in my experience is too fragile.

You should post a picture so others can learn from your experience.

Right with you. Babied mine too. Fly in minimal wind, temp 50 or above, rarely used sport mode, take supreme care, etc. Found crack in January below motor on bottom shell. 8 months old. Sent it to dji. Took 3 weeks including 2 weeks shipping (Ohio to California to Ohio). No charge. Did not get back the same drone. I was happy they addressed the issue under warranty but, I've owned 2 Phantoms (3 and 4) and both developed stress cracks under motor. If I buy another dji drone it will have to be a new design or 2nd version Mavic. The plastic in the Phantom line in my experience is too fragile.

You should post a picture so others can learn from your experience.

Well I sent them an email yesterday concerning this and have yet to get any response.

Any idea how long it takes for someone on their end to get back to me?

Or am I experiencing that great CS that I've read so much about..:grimacing:

Well I sent them an email yesterday concerning this and have yet to get any response.

Any idea how long it takes for someone on their end to get back to me?

Or am I experiencing that great CS that I've read so much about..:grimacing:

I opened my ticket on their website. I didn't interact with anyone. It took their system 24 to 48 hours to send me an email with a shipping label. The entire experience from start to finish had no human interaction. While I prefer talking to people and such it was nice to have a drone back in a three week window. Granted it was not the same drone I sent them.

I un screwed all the motors, mixed up just enough for 1 motor at a time. Poured it in the motor area to just about a credit card thickness from the standoffs top. then the remainder once it thickened, used it like puddy and reinforced the arm area towards the inside where you typically see other cracks. Takes about 15 minutes per arm but once it cures it's like a diamond.. very tough and bonded better than even the original plastic. I would guarantee in a crash the plast-aid would survive where everything else would be destroyed.

Martin,

Can you post pictures of your drone with the plast-aid?

What is the kicker in all this is the fact that you can send it in for a replacement drone but as others and I have proven it's just gonna crack again. This is the reason I have made my mind up to not send mine in and just do the Plast-Aid treatment to it and let it go.

What is the kicker in all this is the fact that you can send it in for a replacement drone but as others and I have proven it's just gonna crack again. This is the reason I have made my mind up to not send mine in and just do the Plast-Aid treatment to it and let it go.

Have you considered sending it in, getting a new frame then ,,,, apply plast-aid as a preventive measure once it's returned? That way your drone gets its stress cracks addressed at the cost of time and your drone gets a clean bill of health.

Have you considered sending it in, getting a new frame then ,,,, apply plast-aid as a preventive measure once it's returned? That way your drone gets its stress cracks addressed at the cost of time and your drone gets a clean bill of health.
Yeah that's an option.

view this video. all drones must be registered.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic