lower frame cracking on my phantom 4

A few things going through my mind whilst reading the previous few posts.

That type of crack possibly is better to have than one on the arms under the motors?? Possibly that position will not be affected as much by wind in flight? Just thinking out loud here.

Also I think the termination drill hole is a great idea. It's basic engineering to stop cracks spreading. Again thinking out loud. If you opened up the shell. Spot drilled it and then filled both the spot drill hole and he crack with epoxy from the inside theoretically I think it would be strong and good to go.

Regarding dji i totally agree if they had some decent competition they would certainly up theor game regarding the cracks, it's a silly problem to have.

Question time. Does anyone know if a crack would actually inhibit flight? I mean yeah a big crack near or under the motors could eventually lead to the motor coming de attached from the bird which would cause a crash, but just a crack in the shell ? Would it still be flight worthy?

Funny thing is all my cracks seem to appear at the same place every time. And I've never had any cracks near the motors. I've got some "Plast-Aid" that I may use to layer the inside of a new bottom shell and see how long that would hold up. Seems to be pretty good stuff. I don't mind a small crack so long as it doesn't spread.

I can see what you are saying and where you are coming from, however, i think in this day and age with cost and quality of manufacturing no blade from dji should ever need to be balanced, remember these things are aimed at and sold to the consumer market designed for people who have no knowledge of this type of thing, its a bit like when some of the older generation ask about gaping a spark plug, in this day and age it is not necessary ..... Just my 2 cents worth

I totally agree, it should not need to be done and the shell should not crack. I still have a feeler gauge ... we are starting to date ourselves.

Reactions: Dazzauk
DJI took about a week to receive, analyze, repair, test fly and ship back to me. However, they lied about everything! I had sent it in for warranty repair but I messed up and paid the bill $239.00 quickly hoping to get it back soon. They sent me a new drone! But they have still refused to tell me why my Phantom 4 flipped over, inverted and flew into the ground from about 200 feet/ I sent them proof that showed it had to be a warranty issue because of the events, etc. but they said that since I did not send in any "flight records" with the drone, they could not prove my claim. I am going to send all my data that I have accumulated to the main office in China to press my appeal. I don't care about the $239 but I want to know why it flipped. Anyway, from reading posts here and other forums, kiss your drone good by because you won't see it again. You will most likely get someone's other drone that they have "refurbished". Just a heads up.
Anyway, good luck,
Jim
WA5TEF
Jim: I asked the service rep if I would get my own p4 back. he said I would. If not I will have to deregister my current drone and register the replacement. question is if I get a refurbished unit how will I know if it has been deregistered to the FAA and what happens if it is not been deregistered?

I'm one of the MANY with that same cracking of my first P4, but DJI replaced it with a new one. I'm out of warranty now, so I will be footing the bill in the near future when it happens again with no fault of my own. No more Phantoms for me because of this.

My P4 cracked at exactly at the same place. My first repair was with locktite 420 (capillary action) the crack was hairline, this lasted about 6 batteries. The crack now opened like yours, I glued with locktite 414 that has a higher viscosity, 4 batteries later it is still holding. From the first repair to the second the crack opened up more but did not go further down towards the leg. I don't realy want to open the shell and I am considering hand drilling a terminating hole just after the crack ends. This is the only stress crack I have in one year of flying over 4,000,000 feet and over 200 flights with no crashes.

dab7dc4084ed7fd1d58821e5381959cb.jpg
I'm gonna try this stuff right here next time I take it apart (again I wait for parts) in the next few days. I'm hoping it's gonna work ok. It uses uv light to harden it. Should work ok.

Jim: I asked the service rep if I would get my own p4 back. he said I would. If not I will have to deregister my current drone and register the replacement. question is if I get a refurbished unit how will I know if it has been deregistered to the FAA and what happens if it is not been deregistered?

You don't register the drone, you register the person.

I am planning on doing just this myself. Seems like it would have to help at least.

How did you apply yours, pour it in runny or did you mold it into the shell with it firm a little?
I un screwed all the motors, mixed up just enough for 1 motor at a time. Poured it in the motor area to just about a credit card thickness from the standoffs top. then the remainder once it thickened, used it like puddy and reinforced the arm area towards the inside where you typically see other cracks. Takes about 15 minutes per arm but once it cures it's like a diamond.. very tough and bonded better than even the original plastic. I would guarantee in a crash the plast-aid would survive where everything else would be destroyed.

I un screwed all the motors, mixed up just enough for 1 motor at a time. Poured it in the motor area to just about a credit card thickness from the standoffs top. then the remainder once it thickened, used it like puddy and reinforced the arm area towards the inside where you typically see other cracks. Takes about 15 minutes per arm but once it cures it's like a diamond.. very tough and bonded better than even the original plastic. I would guarantee in a crash the plast-aid would survive where everything else would be destroyed.
Oh I bet. I've got some of it here now and have used it a couple of times and it does do the job. Good stuff. Thanks man I'm gonna try that myself since I can't seem to be able to keep a shell on this darn thing!

And only if your craft is new and still under warranty you must realize the warranty is really only for DJI to hold your craft hostage for a while till it runs down and out. As a DIYer and a hobbyist, A warranty is of no use to me. Unless it's internal chip programming or something out of reach for may skill level. I bought it.. I'll fix it, and in most cases better than the manufacturer can. They do things generically to get it out the door, I make improvements that are suitable to the way I fly and allow for maintenance and easy updates to more robust hardware.

Reactions: pomonabill220
Has anyone else had their lower frame crack coming from the legs up toward the battery compartment? I have three hairline cracks. Two in the back coming from the legs and going in the direction toward the battery compartment ( a third of the way) and one crack coming from a front leg . I hand catch the phantom 4 from the right rear leg and have not had any crashes. I examine the craft regularly and just noticed these. I have sent the craft in to dji for repair for this issue as well as a crooked horizon issue (calibration did not solve). Has anyone else sent their p4 in for these issues?How long does it usually take to send in and get back? What is the usual repair cost.? Dji would not give me an estimate until they have seen the aircraft.
...you've joined the Club.. how many hours?, image of my cracks on web-site ---> Equip-Page ---> Phantom Tab...
IIIDaemon
www.GasRecovery.net

Well mines under warranty but I'm not going to send it back because the one they send me may be worse off than the one I already have!
You may want to rethink that. I sent mine in and got a brand new drone in return, no refurb. It's no different risk than initially buying. I'm pretty happy with my replacement P4. If you can get the crack resolved, it may last long enough for you to sell it when P5 is released this fall (that's just a guess). A non cracked drone will be worth more than a patched crack drone.

Well I'm now on board with you all. Found a hairline crack top half starting at the motor.

This is B.S.!! I have absolutely babied this thing!

So what is the deal with DJI's warranty concerning this obvious flaw? It clearly states that the frame is not covered at all.

Are they honoring your all's returns for repairs?

Mine is 5 months old.

Reactions: jogforfitness
I've been told that they are just swapping them out whenever you send it in so you will probably not get the same drone back.

If you bought it brand new and send it in I would make sure they don't send you back a refurb.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl