Lost P3P - Naples, FL

Reaction score
I have had my drone for only a few weeks, as it was a Christmas present. I am down in Naples, FL at my place in a residential tower near the beach. The tower has a slight U-shape to it, and I found that I couldn't get a proper compass readout when I tried taking off from there. I went around back and was fine for takeoff. I then however, stupidly flew it around the building. I immediately lost signal, and unlike other times when that has occurred, the screen didn't start to suggest that Return To Home had begun. So I ran to where the GPS coordinates showed it was last, in case it was hovering there. It wasn't. My guess is that it lost compass, went into ATTI mode and just flew off. But I am so desperate to get this back! I will upload anything anyone needs to try to help me figure out where it is now.

Attachments

• Drone.jpg
    Drone.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 636
Reactions: TheDrone8122Master
Here's the flight record:

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2017-02-05_[10-20-03].txt
    2 MB · Views: 340
I have had my drone for only a few weeks, as it was a Christmas present. I am down in Naples, FL at my place in a residential tower near the beach. The tower has a slight U-shape to it, and I found that I couldn't get a proper compass readout when I tried taking off from there. I went around back and was fine for takeoff. I then however, stupidly flew it around the building. I immediately lost signal, and unlike other times when that has occurred, the screen didn't start to suggest that Return To Home had begun. So I ran to where the GPS coordinates showed it was last, in case it was hovering there. It wasn't. My guess is that it lost compass, went into ATTI mode and just flew off. But I am so desperate to get this back! I will upload anything anyone needs to try to help me figure out where it is now.
That flight record appears to be from another flight - one where you landed safely with 22% battery at the point it was launched.
The flight records all have the date in their file name. See if you can find a later one.

You could post the .txt file or you can upload it to:
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
And visually check to see if it looks like the right one and then just post a link to the report it provides.

Thats the last one that shows up when I arrange the files by time/date. Is it possible that when the P3P doesn't reconnect, I dont get that flight record?

*Edited: Check below, I posted the correct, below

Last edited:
What did you have loss of signal set to? Hover or RTH? If RTH, and you didn't set the RTH height above the building height, it's probably sitting on someone's balcony. Probably some cranky snowbird just waiting for someone to ask about it.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I had it set to RTH. I can't check the RTH height that was set at the time, but my memory was that I set it to 122m. Is it possible that it actually landed on someone's balcony and didn't just crash into the side of the building? I have walked around the entire building and no pieces are on the grounds below, so if it's on a balcony that would make the most sense, I guess...

This is the correct flight record:

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2017-02-05_[10-31-41].txt
    367.7 KB · Views: 344
@jatreat
Draw a straight line from the last point to where you took of (your home point). Your altitude was 177' if you RTH was set at 122m that would be 400'. I first I thought it would have started to head back to the home point, but it should have climbed to 400' then headed back. So where is 400' on the South East Corner of that building.

All I got so far.

Rod

Return Path.jpg
I'm confused if you flew over the building or around it, and why you didn't loose signal before that.
I also don't know how to tell how tall the building is, I'm usually looking at trees.

Rod

Yeah, I have sent an email to the folks living on that side of the tower to ask to look out on their balconies...so we'll see...

I flew around the building and didn't lose signal until it was on the other side of the building.

Yeah, I have sent an email to the folks living on that side of the tower to ask to look out on their balconies...so we'll see...

I flew around the building and didn't lose signal until it was on the other side of the building.
So how tall or how many stories is the building?

Rod

@jatreat
Draw a straight line from the last point to where you took of (your home point). Your altitude was 177' if you RTH was set at 122m that would be 400'. I first I thought it would have started to head back to the home point, but it should have climbed to 400' then headed back. So where is 400' on the South East Corner of that building.

All I got so far.

Rod
400' should be above the building. 400' (if a floor is 10-12') would be a 33-34 story building which is definitely taller than this. If I hadn't altered the RTH height, does anyone remember what its set at, out of the box? I didn't think it would have known to stop before hitting the building, so would it be in pieces if its on someone's balcony?

Yeah, I was wondering about the building height I was thinking 10 x 20 = 200' + 20' (bunch of stuff on the roof).
The path looked like you went over the building and not around it. If it return to home and the default seems to be 20 meters (66 ft.), Your last elevation was 177 ft. There is the answer that adds up. :rolleyes:.
It would return at 177'

How good are your Spider-Man skils. :eek: :D

Rod

Last edited:
Reactions: gerfoto
@jatreat ,
Wow, its been a couple of weeks, what floor was it on, the thirteenth? ;)

Rod

@jatreat ,
You in the air, or on the ground?

Rod

Sorry I never closed the loop on this. It ended up on a neighbors balcony, exactly where you guys thought it would be. Just had to wait for them to go out on their balcony and see it. Two props were broken and the battery had come out, but it flies just as it did before (with new propellors on), so no harm no foul. But I will be installing a tracker, to avoid this issue in the future.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues