Lost my whole new setup

John Shaw said:
Koviatt - I am not sure what you meant by the photo in 3d.
I did my plot separately in Excel. I get my aerial views from Google Earth. I also worried about possible errors in bearing angle - true, magnetic etc. but I decided it didn't matter because when I overlay a picture of the polar plot on the picture from Google Earth and then stretch and align the plot overlay to match the locations at specific times as seen in your video it automatically takes care of scaling and rotation. I think the biggest error in my analysis is that it assumes you camera is looking straight down. If the camera is not looking straight down it introduces error.

Possible good news - if it is in the canopy as your now thinking it may have helped break the fall.

John,

You know how you can place a pin in google earth and place it any distance above the ground, if you move all around you can see the pin floating around from different perfectives. I did this with a pin above the last known position and drew a line from it to the earth, Then I moved the view all around, zoomed in and out, etc - kind of scary to see how high it was above the terrain. AND to think I was another 400 meters above that at one time...grief. Feel like I will never ever see it again. Here is a snapshot of what I was talking about. Hard to tell - but the dot is 1200 meters above te last known location.

Attachments

• long way up.jpg
    long way up.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 519
Koviatt - Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware of 3d pins. I did a quick trial and it seems it will take some practice to use it effectively - but good to know. Thanks

BTW. I don't think the subject has come up yet in this topic but since you're still flying another Phantom...

I get the distinct impression you weren't flying in NAZA mode where you could have IOC enabled with Home Lock mode. In situations with loss of orientation this is the flight mode of choice. Just flick S2 all the way down and pull the right stick towards you and your bird will fly straight towards you where ever it might be. I'm even wondering whether you have IOC enabled on your P1 which only has NAZA mode but needs it to be enabled through the Assistant software. That action, combined with throttle ¾ down for maximum descent speed would have been the most effective way to get your bird home as quickly as possible.

So if IOS is not yet enabled on your P1 you should do it ASAP. If you already have/had it enabled and are familiar with HL then I'm somewhat surprised you hadn't done the same on your P2.

Big Ben,

Funny you should ask. I have heard a few of you all mention Naza mode and figured I needed to see what you were talking about. I have been flying the Phantom 1 for over two years. I use IOC frequently when I get far away that I cannot discern orientation. I assume that IOC is Naza mode?

As for the loss... IOC never even occurred to me. Crazy. Completely crazy. I was so freaked that I made it to one mile high, and then the video broke up and then I realized that I had drifted (the numbers were there the whole time - wind blowing me off course).

All I can say is that I lost my head. You are SO RIGHT. IOC was set up on my P2. When I saw that I was in trouble I spun around to get local video of my location in case I lost the craft. But it never occurred to me to snap into IOC and pull the stick back. But at that point I was in panic mode - is there a switch for that?? Heh. I am a regular heli guy and learned orientation flying the hard way and so using IOC has always felt like cheating. In this case it was my "get out of jail free card." But alas...

Like I said, I learned a lot in this experience. I should never attempted this kind of distance challenge without a flying partner. My son is experienced in FPV and always keeps a cool head. He would have immediately noticed that we were drifting off course and got it back. OR he would not have attempted the flight at all until he was confident that the craft could return under power.

koviatt said:
Thanks for the insight. I did not realize that 2 m/s was the max descent rate. If I did the math right, that would be more like 13 minutes. Wow. So seriously, 2 m/s is the limit? I switched in and out of GPS and ATTN a couple of times trying to "increase" the controls.

Just for reference I own a vision but I was up 1000 ft did a csc on the sticks counted to 10 and powered back on
it fell like a rock flipped upside down and tumbled but once the props restarted it only took moments before she has righted herself and gone back to hover. Fell a total of 350ft before it recovered
So in very low battery a situation and up high this works to speed the decent :eek: :shock: :shock:

Okay, this is the best post I've read in a while. You're a bad ***! Was it out of desperation (low batt) or curiosity or just general ballsiness? Do you have video you can share? Would love to hear it suddenly go quiet, with only wind roar as the altimeter spins down, then the sound of restart, and gradual return to stability. I will throw $20 toward your possible repair bill if you will do it again with full OSD and DVR!

Kelly

skyhighdiver said:
koviatt said:
Thanks for the insight. I did not realize that 2 m/s was the max descent rate. If I did the math right, that would be more like 13 minutes. Wow. So seriously, 2 m/s is the limit? I switched in and out of GPS and ATTN a couple of times trying to "increase" the controls.

Just for reference I own a vision but I was up 1000 ft did a csc on the sticks counted to 10 and powered back on
it fell like a rock flipped upside down and tumbled but once the props restarted it only took moments before she has righted herself and gone back to hover. Fell a total of 350ft before it recovered
So in very low battery a situation and up high this works to speed the decent :eek: :shock: :shock:

Gutsiest move I have ever heard! Do you have a video of it?!!!! dude... that's like Maverick hitting the brakes in Top Gun!

d4ddyo said:
skyhighdiver said:
koviatt said:

Gutsiest move I have ever heard! Do you have a video of it?!!!! dude... that's like Maverick hitting the brakes in Top Gun!

talk to me goose !

Re: Lost my whole new setup UPDATE

Its been about a month since I lost this set up. You all were so supportive and offered a LOT of great wisdom. I wanted to give you an update. The wheat fields (about 100 acres) have been harvested and there is no evidence of the copter. So that leaves the woods. As I said here earlier, we have searched a LOT of the woods, but the canopy in some of these is pretty thick. Some neighbors have offered to search the woods. I put up a $200 reward. So far no takers. Looks like now that my next recourse is to wait until winter and look again. Anyway, I wish I was able to give you good news. I am saving for a new set up. The empty case, two unused batteries and my new video receiver and such is all sitting here in my shop as a constant reminder. Ha.

This has been a real bummer. Hope you get your new one soon and start with the first item to add to it: A tracker.

Something to consider for risk takers[emoji16]

http://www.helidirect.com/mars-mini-par ... -35427.hdx

Sorry for your loss!! I've been doing long range and altitude flights myself and occasionally get nervous losing FPV, and have used fail safe several times already.. Recently discovered a new path taken and have decided to a "Custom Build" which would render an expense at which obviously proves my obsession[emoji16].

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404275128.795247.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404275128.795247.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 543
koviatt, Thanks for the update. I have been checking regularly and hope for the best. I will be checking for future updates - and hopefully news of success.

May 24th, 2014 I sent my new P2 up and hit the 1.6 Km altitude goal. Winds aloft took it away, and the numbed-down firmware upgrade prevented me from getting it back (long story).

It is still out there somewhere. We searched for about 100 hours. Lots of assistance. No luck. We decided that the quad was probably stuck in the canopy. That was over 5 months ago.

The tress are now about bare. I am putting together a posse to do another intense search. We have lots of data to use (you can read about it in this thread). Maybe this time we will find it. This empty case, controller, and extra batteries are a constant reminder of my loss.

Ill keep you posted.

I have already decided that if we don't find it this time (about our tenth search) then I will do a memorial service and move on. :)

I was hoping DJI would have a new model out by now...but I DO plan to buy another.

KO

I'm not really sorry for your loss.. I'm a private pilot. and you are flying a drone in class Echo airspace. You have no business doing that. The last thing I want to worry about is some idiot flying a device at heights that are not only risky to others, but risky for people/buildings on the ground. Doesn't matter if you're in the middle of nowhere, there is absolutely NO reason for you to fly a Phantom at those heights. Trying for a personal record? why? is it worth it to lose almost 2 grand in equipment just to show you went high up?
This is a technology that is in early development, let the pros push the boundaries, and the last thing the drone community needs is more legislation against drones because someone hit an aircraft, building, or person due to losing control of a drone.
I hope you have learned your lesson.

Deathcode said:
I'm not really sorry for your loss.. I'm a private pilot. and you are flying a drone in class Echo airspace. You have no business doing that. The last thing I want to worry about is some idiot flying a device at heights that are not only risky to others, but risky for people/buildings on the ground. Doesn't matter if you're in the middle of nowhere, there is absolutely NO reason for you to fly a Phantom at those heights. Trying for a personal record? why? is it worth it to lose almost 2 grand in equipment just to show you went high up?
This is a technology that is in early development, let the pros push the boundaries, and the last thing the drone community needs is more legislation against drones because someone hit an aircraft, building, or person due to losing control of a drone.
I hope you have learned your lesson.

By reading his posts, he has learned his lesson.

Haven't had a chance to read the whole thread, but I feel your pain after losing my Phantom (fortunately for me it was a barebones Phantom 1) but anyway, I picked up a P2 and searched via overhead and still no luck although I'm going to try again with the leaves finally off the tree. Have you used google earth? Also, there may be historical wind data for the time of your flight and with a drop out of the sky with an assumed velocity, you could narrow your search window. But woods are tough, I'm one to know. Good luck and keep us posted.

One final update. I deeply appreciate all the input you guys gave me these past several months. Here is the final update on this thread.

After the leaves fell, and trees were clear, we did two more thorough sweeps of the hot zones you all suggested, based on telemetry, winds, maps, etc. Nothing turned up. We are now of the opinion that the range of a falling quad from those altitudes gives a much greater potential diameter fall zone, perhaps because of winds. Hard to say because I lost telemetry at a high altitude. In other words, we are confident it is outside the initial search area. We have been quite thorough using different search teams and strategies, gridding, GPS tracking, etc. There is always a chance that we walked past the quad, but not likely, given our care.

Anyway, I don't need to rehash all that. Thanks again for all your help.

P2, may you RIP.

Can you tell me how you recorded your flight info?

Yes, I agree I think your quad most likely drifted/fell outside your search area (same as me), as I find it hard to believe (like maybe a 1% chance) I might have missed it while searching.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4