Lost my drone in the Arctic

I would also be curious to find out if I can fly in polar regions in Atti mode....
In some areas you might be able to but in some you will have real troubles.
Atti mode only drops GPS data input. It still requires good compass data.
It's all about the compass being able to provide steady direction data.
The closer to the North Magnetic pole you get, the worse the compass is going to be.

I have a p2 I was thinking of bringing up to the arctic , guessing the same rules apply to the p2 , was planning on flying in atti

The problem was the compass. Not sure atti will help, as it is more related to the GPS ( satellite signal) and not the magnetic field of the Earth...

@droningandmore I understand it's the magnetic field, but I might be willing to take the chance , any stats on what percentage of drones actually do loose control , I'm a risk taker but I won't be stupid considering the p2 I have has a gopro. Can you or anyone tell me if I have a fair chance of getting a few low risk flights , taking into consideration the elements and tgat I am strong at flying manually, won't fly over water and am hoping I don't get a fly away or crash , your feedback would be greatly appreciated, not everyday I'm able to get up to the arctic so is it worth the risk?

I had wind and I couldn’t bring it back from the water... I would risk again, starting with close flights around you, in good weather conditions.

I had wind and I couldn’t bring it back from the water... I would risk again, starting with close flights around you, in good weather conditions.

Sounds like a good idea to me lol thank you so much I'll do exactly that . I'll see how the drone reacts small flights and I'll go from there . Will let you know how it went when I'm back in September. Thanks again .

I have one final question maybe someone can help me with , I am using a p2 with an fpv screen , I bought it used and the screen didn't cone with a charger, I've tried multiple chargers and noting can make it hold the charge , I am only speculating but I believe the connection foe the screen is in the drone since I can't pair a cell phone to use as fpv, can I buy a new screen and will that new screen pair with the current internal configuration? Please let me know , Greatly appreciated , I've looked far and wide for an answer to this question and have come up blank .

Puvirnituq, Nunavik that s were I'll be , I'm reading a lot about the compass issues in the high arctic , don't know if this location qualify s as "high arctic" can anyone confirm ?

Puvirnituq, Nunavik that s were I'll be , I'm reading a lot about the compass issues in the high arctic , don't know if this location qualify s as "high arctic" can anyone confirm ?

Let me give you my Drive By on this : Phantomrain.org

We have several research teams in Antartica and Alaska that are flying in the extreme cold an I imagine this place your going to in Quebec is also sub below at times.

Magnetic Activity is high in many of the polar parts so it is critical that you make sure your take off is perfect with no errors , no compass errors, no magnetic resistance detected.

Its a good idea to hover for about a good 5 minutes before you start your flight giving you the best change to see if you drone is going to kick out of GPS lock and go into Atti Mode.

It is a good idea to Hand Catch the drone and to hand release if possible .

Atti mode is difficult to navigate and if you have a yaw error most likely your drone is going to go haywire on you.

If you get any error on take off abort and move your position and try again.
That is the best advice I can give you when navigating Magnetic interference which is always a concern for everyone flying the drone.

I cannot stress it enough,

Let me give you my Drive By on this : Phantomrain.org

We have several research teams in Antartica and Alaska that are flying in the extreme cold an I imagine this place your going to in Quebec is also sub below at times.

Magnetic Activity is high in many of the polar parts so it is critical that you make sure your take off is perfect with no errors , no compass errors, no magnetic resistance detected.

Its a good idea to hover for about a good 5 minutes before you start your flight giving you the best change to see if you drone is going to kick out of GPS lock and go into Atti Mode.

It is a good idea to Hand Catch the drone and to hand release if possible .

Atti mode is difficult to navigate and if you have a yaw error most likely your drone is going to go haywire on you.

If you get any error on take off abort and move your position and try again.
That is the best advice I can give you when navigating Magnetic interference which is always a concern for everyone flying the drone.

I cannot stress it enough,
I sincerely thank you for your advice , I will directly as you mentioned and hope for a safe flight , defenitly goibgvto let it hover and feel out how the drone reacts . Thank you again , I'm off tomorrow and should be able to attempt my first flight in a week or two . No matter what I'm committed to attempting several flights but I won't push the envelope . Can't thank you all enough for your advice . Keep you posted .

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4