Lost drone...... Found hours later. ??????????

I've never heard of a Phantom resetting the Home Point unless you used that dynamic home point feature, but I believe, correct me if I am wrong, the NEW home has to be a new location of the Remote.

Reactions: Pharm
...does it not always record to the drone itself [?]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Yes, it does. Either you grabbed the wrong log file off of the drone or you grabbed the wrong drone. If you try to fly it and it won't link to your controller, you might want to put it back in front of the post office.

i wish someone could tell me why it reset the homepoint...
We're not sure it DID reset the home point. That's only a supposition at this point and a rather unlikely one in my opinion. I'm beginning to think more about the possibility that he grabbed someone else's Phantom by mistake. The other guy's at home, crying over a pile of Phantom parts saying, "How did it crash??? It should have landed at the home point, right in front of the post office!"

Yes, it does. Either you grabbed the wrong log file off of the drone or you grabbed the wrong drone. If you try to fly it and it won't link to your controller, you might want to put it back in front of the post office.

I've been flying since this happened so it's definitely my drone and not someone else's lol. The only other log file is a .dat file.

Reactions: Pharm
Thought i would do one last flight for the day when all was going great until I was disconnected. I waited about 10 minutes for it to RTH but nothing, off I go for a walk to the last known location shown on the DJI app with RC in hopes it reconnects. Now I get worried as it's not where it said it was and no reconnect so I walk the path it was going, not to mention the sun is almost down and I have no flashlight. About an hour later I go home and try to figure something out. After an hour and a half of trying to figure out how to find it I get a call from a friend asking "did you lose your drone?". -ME- LOL YES, where did you see it? "It's on the front lawn at the post office!". Off I go to the post office and there it is, light flashing away in the dark. So my question is why would this have happened? Why did my P3S think this was it's home point? I didn't set it to here after it recorded it's own home point. Link to my flight record will be attached along with a screenshot of where my P3S landed. First time adding a flight log here so hopefully it works lol. Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
View attachment 73109
Can you provide us with a legend for this? There are 3 marks on here (red circle, flag, bw circle). What does each mark indicate? Did you look at the end of the green line anyway?

We're not sure it DID reset the home point. That's only a supposition at this point and a rather unlikely one in my opinion. I'm beginning to think more about the possibility that he grabbed someone else's Phantom by mistake. The other guy's at home, crying over a pile of Phantom parts saying, "How did it crash??? It should have landed at the home point, right in front of the post office!"

Haha not likely.

Can you provide us with a legend for this? There are 3 marks on here (red circle, flag, bw circle). What does each mark indicate? Did you look at the end of the green line anyway? Are you 100% sure it's YOUR Phantom you have?

The RC and drone wouldn't connect if it wasn't mine and the video on the card and the DJI go app has me on it in my back yard and the drone has my crash mark on it from my first flight. Haha it's mine.

The RC and drone wouldn't connect if it wasn't mine and the video on the card and the DJI go app has me on it in my back yard and the drone has my crash mark on it from my first flight. Haha it's mine.

That's just what they want you to believe! They're very crafty, you know, those aliens!

Drag the DAT file off of there. I don't know where all the experts are but one of them can glean tons of info. Hopefully one of them will show up soon. This is intriguing and yet I'm sure there's an amazingly simple explanation.

That's just what they want you to believe! They're very crafty, you know, those aliens!

Drag the DAT file off of there. I don't know where all the experts are but one of them can glean tons of info. Hopefully one of them will show up soon. This is intriguing and yet I'm sure there's an amazingly simple explanation.

I know there are lots of very knowledgeable folks on here that can help I'm just patiently waiting for one to come on lol. I have the dat file and I'm just trying to convert it so it's readable.

Have you been able to locate/download the LATEST log file from the drone? (not from the tablet)
If so, put a link to it, and we can start investigating. As to whether or not it's your drone, I assume you have some markings on it (such as your FAA #) to positively/definitely confirm it is yours. The guys on this thread are right ... ALL drones look the same :)

Last edited:
Have you been able to locate/download the LATEST log file from the drone? (not from the tablet)
If so, put a link to it, and we can start investigating. As to whether or not it's your drone, I assume you have some markings on it (such as your FAA #) to positively/definitely confirm it is yours. The guys on this thread are right ... ALL drones look the same :)

He already stated that the video on the sd card had him on it...lol...its his drone fo sho.

It's always set to RTH and I confirm all settings after any firmware update and IMU calibrations just to make sure. I've never had a problem with RTH before and for it to land where it did and not at the recorded home point is baffling.[/url]

Did you press rth when you lost connection?. If yes, what method did you use? Did you use the physical rth button on the rc or the one in the GO app?

If you used the GO app button, is it possible you reset the home point by accident? If yes, and you used an iPad without cellular, you don't have GPS, in which case the drone would set the home point to its present location.

This scenario above is the only way I could imagine this happening.

Glad you got it back.

Fly often, be safe

Reactions: Jimmers
HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters
Did you press rth when you lost connection?. If yes, what method did you use? Did you use the physical rth button on the rc or the one in the GO app?

If you used the GO app button, is it possible you reset the home point by accident? If yes, and you used an iPad without cellular, you don't have GPS, in which case the drone would set the home point to its present location. The home point was still my take off point, no change.

This scenario above is the only way I could imagine this happening.

Fly often, be safe

I did not just lose connection, I was completely disconnected. The log shows 100% then nothing, disconnected. In app setting was for it to RTH upon signal loss, not land or anything else. I did nothing to initiate RTH as I was disconnected and wouldn't be able to anyway, that's what failsafe RTH is for. There was no beeping as to it RTHing or landing as the remote does.
HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

The app said "disconnected" not "no signal" which is like it maybe dropped the wifi connection.? Didn't take notice if that happened or not but would I not be able to fly it still as it doesn't need it to fly.?

You may have answered this already but ... did you have LOS (line of sight) throughout until the moment t disconnected?

You may have answered this already but ... did you have LOS (line of sight) throughout until the moment t disconnected?

I did up to about 15 seconds before it disconnected then I got off my roof and waited in my back yard at the home point for it to return. Started looking for it within 10 minutes of it not returning.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94