Lost drone...... Found hours later. ??????????

Reaction score
Thought i would do one last flight for the day when all was going great until I was disconnected. I waited about 10 minutes for it to RTH but nothing, off I go for a walk to the last known location shown on the DJI app with RC in hopes it reconnects. Now I get worried as it's not where it said it was and no reconnect so I walk the path it was going, not to mention the sun is almost down and I have no flashlight. About an hour later I go home and try to figure something out. After an hour and a half of trying to figure out how to find it I get a call from a friend asking "did you lose your drone?". -ME- LOL YES, where did you see it? "It's on the front lawn at the post office!". Off I go to the post office and there it is, light flashing away in the dark. So my question is why would this have happened? Why did my P3S think this was it's home point? I didn't set it to here after it recorded it's own home point. Link to my flight record will be attached along with a screenshot of where my P3S landed. First time adding a flight log here so hopefully it works lol. Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
lost and found.jpg

It is a bit odd that the RTH was the post office. I try to do an RTH at the beginning of every flight, just to make sure it's set properly.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: dgd3
Have you checked to see what your settings in the app are for what the aircraft does when RC signal is lost? It can be set to any of the following...RTH, Hover, or Land. Maybe you've got it set to Land.

It is a bit odd that the RTH was the post office. I try to do an RTH at the beginning of every flight, just to make sure it's set properly.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Yes it's definitely very odd for it to think that. I always wait for my home point to be recorded before take off every time and do a listen/look over while it hovers then fly away. Even in the log it shows that it's home point is recorded with no change. Very odd.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Have you checked to see what your settings in the app are for what the aircraft does when RC signal is lost? It can be set to any of the following...RTH, Hover, or Land. Maybe you've got it set to Land.

It's always set to RTH and I confirm all settings after any firmware update and IMU calibrations just to make sure. I've never had a problem with RTH before and for it to land where it did and not at the recorded home point is baffling.

Why would it not be recorded in the flight log showing it flying back to the post office and landing? That's what baffles me the most. Flight log was transferred from drone to computer not synced from the app. I can see it not recording data back to the rc and or phone but does it not always record to the drone itself.

It could have at least told me what it was applying instead of doing it behind my back lol.

Surely glad you found it unharmed, but I am really curious as how something like this happened. If you figure it out let us know. I'm not letting mine watch any more late night TV alone until you get to the bottom of this!

im wondering too why there was no record on the flight log of the returning flight..this happened to me dec 31..i was flying in stiff wind which i shouldnt have..i got disconnected and thought i lost it..got home and found there was 2 flight logs showing for the one flight..2nd flight log showed that the bird reset the homepoint then landed...i went back with flashlights and it took me about 10 minutes to find it.

Just curious:
1. You found the drone 'physically' near the post office.
2. How about the flight log that's on the drone itself (not on the tablet), does it show that the drone did land at the post office?
3. Unless someone found the drone elsewhere and put near the post office (very remote possibility)

I try to check BOTH logs, on the tablet and on the drone ... one never knows.

Why would it not be recorded in the flight log showing it flying back to the post office and landing? That's what baffles me the most. Flight log was transferred from drone to computer not synced from the app. I can see it not recording data back to the rc and or phone but does it not always record to the drone itself.

That's what I don't understand. That's where I got the log from.

c29dc18b7ea336b0dafa8dcadfa9702b.jpg

These were my last movements before it just disconnected and just flew back and landed.
I've since change to Litchi.

To me it seems you need to recover logs from both tablet AND drone, make sure the timestamp (file creation date) coincides with the timing of the event, then explore/study such logs.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4