Losing signal to remote

I mention "causing any problems" component because someone said to do so too often can cause problems
I think that's just a misconception. I've never seen anyone prove it.

Reactions: smackc4
Also I assumed since it uses GPS; it was like any other GPS that actually refers to your exact position on the globe and returns to that exact position...

Not sure I understand your comment, but it seems you got it right: the GPS coordinates of the Home Point are saved in the AC at take-off (or when instructed by the pilot, via DJI GO) so that the AC always knows where to go when RTH is engaged.
I don't know the exact algorithm used by the P3S, but it could be as simple as calculating the bearing between current position and Home Point (e.g. Calculate distance and bearing between two Latitude/Longitude points), turning the AC in that direction (hence the need for compass) and going straight. This process is likely repeated x times per second.

Ok. I mention "causing any problems" component because someone said to do so too often can cause problems
Nearby metallic objects can cause issues with the compass, either during calibration or in flight. These are however most apparent during calibrations. For the most part during flight if you are well away from metal structures you should not have any issues.

GPS coordinates of the Home Point are saved in the AC at take-off
Ah...THAT makes sense of course! :)
So, my tablet doesn't NEED GPS itself to use with drone?
(mind you, the extra reason I bought one WITH GPS is that I use an Aussie 'Can I fly there?' app.

The Go lady always says "The home point has been updated. Please check it on the map". As long as the map is accurate and I see the little icon, away we go!

"The Go lady" hahaha; when I saw the email popup about a reply; I assumed this to be someones nickname! LOL
Yes, 'she' does. So, if I DON'T calibrate compass at each location, 'she' will do this via GPS lock all the same?
- I've only heard it AFTER I do the 'dance of the drone' calibration...

"The Go lady" hahaha; when I saw the email popup about a reply; I assumed this to be someones nickname! LOL
Yes, 'she' does. So, if I DON'T calibrate compass at each location, 'she' will do this via GPS lock all the same?
- I've only heard it AFTER I do the 'dance of the drone' calibration...
Yes. Even if you don't do the dance, you should hear that message. Then check the map on your mobile device.

Yes. Even if you don't do the dance, you should hear that message. Then check the map on your mobile device.
...Meaning if nothing else; my buying a tablet with GPS IS useful for that. hahaha
...Just WISH I could SEE these **** screens in strong sunlight!! I CAN'T be the ONLY ONE who struggles?!
(secretly, I admit most of the great drone videos on my youtube channel, ARE more of a FLUKE!) LOL; I have to mostly TAKE A GUESS at where the cameras aimed! ;):eek::D

Many pilots struggle with bright sunlight. A few things that have worked for me:
1) wear a big hat to shade your screen
2) dark clothing helps reduce reflective glare
3) look for a tree
4) fly around dusk around an hour before sun sets

Many pilots struggle with bright sunlight. A few things that have worked for me:
1) wear a big hat to shade your screen
2) dark clothing helps reduce reflective glare
3) look for a tree
4) fly around dusk around an hour before sun sets
1. I don't own one
2. I always do (I'm the man in black, reincarnate)
3. Have done that didn't help a great deal but slightly.
4. Makes a big difference but unfortunately tends to not be applicable when you need good daylight shots.
5. thanks!

Ah...THAT makes sense of course! :)
So, my tablet doesn't NEED GPS itself to use with drone?

The Home Point is recorded by the AC (using its own GPS) so whether your tablet has or has not a GPS is irrelevant for this. Running DJI GO on a device with GPS enables you to use the Follow Me feature (the AC is effectively receiving the GPS position of the device, and follows it), see the RC position on the map, and do a couple other (minor) things that right now I can't remember.

Last edited:
So, if I DON'T calibrate compass at each location, 'she' will do this via GPS lock all the same?

I think you're still missing the point: Home Point is always and only recorded via GPS, so your compass could be totally off but the Home Point would still be recorded accurately. During RTH, the compass is needed by the AC to know its bearing and properly navigate from its current location to the Home Point. Compass calibration only ensures that the compass gives precise readings in that specific location on Earth. Compass does not point toward the Home Point and the AC does not follow the compass to return home.

Last edited:
The Home Point is recorded by the AC (using its own GPS) so whether your tablet has or has not a GPS is irrelevant for this. Running DJI GO on a device with GPS enables you to use the Follow Me feature (the AC is effectively receiving the GPS position of the device, and follows it), see the RC position on the map, and do a couple other (minor) things that right now I can't remember.
Ok... I'm starting to understand how it all works now - I get confused a bit when there's three items in use; the drone, the controller, and the phone/tablet.

I also have that original problem, ie, loss of control signal warning. Usually, the first I know of it is that it goes RTH. I can cancel, but I wait till it gets closer to do that. It starts warning me of weak signal at about 60m distance. The last flight a few minutes ago also told me I had reached the maximum permitted altitude at 30m! So I will check my settings. Regarding the range problem, I had an experienced DJI person fly it to check, and he said from his experience, that is the best I will get from it. From my experience and reading here, I am sure it will do better than 60m range! All comments are appreciated thanks.

Last edited:
@Hopeful,
If a P3S is working properly in clean air it will due what is advertised (on the box). If you can't get 1/2 of that something is wrong.

Phantom 3 standard Rc signal lost

Controller weak signal

Rod[/QUOT
Ok thanks Rod, is there any way to confirm hat it is at rated output. Or do I just trust that the GPS location has caused the output level to be set correctly? It is a new transmitter purchased separately.
Thanks.

Uh, dunno what happened there.....Is there any other way of setting output level rather than rely on the GPS location to set the output accordingly? I too, have been suspecting low output because of that warning.
Praps I should mention that I bought this Tx because the original needs a technician. During doing an Argtek antenna upgrade, I found that one of the WiFi connectors had never been done properly. I a2m wondering if the ant connector on the new one is the same. The relevant socket had never been installed & the plug simply stuck into the white goop. True, I had pics.

Will get back to you on that - can't get that info at the moment as I'm not at home.

Will get back to you on that - can't get that info at the moment as I'm not at home.
Ok thanks. I just had another flight & simply climbed vertically. I started getting weak control warnings
At 20m and soon after, it went into landing mode. It is a new stock standard tranmitter. I dont want to get a 3rd one if I can help it!

Ok thanks. I just had another flight & simply climbed vertically. I started getting weak control warnings
At 20m and soon after, it went into landing mode. It is a new stock standard tranmitter. I dont want to get a 3rd one if I can help it!

Make sure you have beginner mode switched off in the DJI go app.

Mine has always had a bit of an issue with going straight up... you will find you'll be able to climb higher if you have the drone rather slowly Ascending as it goes away from you.

I'm not at my PC at the moment but there is a little software hack I think I found it on this forum actually, that enables you to increase the output of the controller. I can't say I've noticed a big difference but still it's worth trying. It uses Telnet to check if there's been a change. Also something I'm looking into somebody told me the other day on here you can get WiFi boosters that is small enough to attach to the underside of your controller however you do need to come up with an external power source for them.

Have just checked; my firmware is 3.1.26 Go app version 1.9.20 +

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94