Litchi...How much!!!

I don't have a problem with paying $15 for an app. People are way too used to free or $1 apps that they are shocked to pay $15. For a $1,000+ drone I am sure you can afford a $15 piece of software.
I agree. Adding the cost of the drone, carry pack, tablet, accessories, extra batteries, etc, etc, whats another $20 bucks

Reactions: Flyer91
I personally don't purchase anything on Android as it's so easy to download the apps for free including in game/app purchases.

On my Apple products I do purchase the apps.

I would love to know If apps are purchased more on one platform than on the other.

looked into buying the Litchi app, live in the uk cant believe how much it costs. £14.99 for the app then £3.99 for in app products, bloody ridiculous. I know these guys put a lot of time into the development etc into these 3rd party apps but surely they are costing them to high. I take it by the time you buy the in app products which is why most of us want these apps it will cost over £30 which is just pain naughty in my opinion. I would be interested to see what you guys think, Im not a tight arse at all, but i think there is a limit. £15 all in fair enough!!
To be fair, what you are saying is that whatever people are paying you for your service / effort / time ( your job, your business, etc) is not worth what you are being paid. And the effort and investment you put in to get yourself trained (education, professional training, experience) means nothing.

My understanding is that Lichi app isn't necessary to fly your quad. So there are no obligation on your part to buy it.

I also think a Lamborghini should cost about maybe $40,000 USD. Afterall, how much is the materials cost to make it?

And next time if a surgeon is costing too much, one can consider exchanging for a butcher. They both have the skill to cut you open and removed whatever it is that needed to be removed. A butcher will cost only a fraction. (Read surgeon = Lichi, butcher = DJI app. Not a good analogy, but I hope you get my drift.)

Last edited:
Unfortunately I missed out on the sale price, but I did email them to see if another sale was in the forecast, and they said they didn't know when it might be, but to follow them on FB to get any news.
So I did/am. :)

But I'm really just waiting until the 12'th of this month to see what happens after Google shuts down the Google Earth API.
I know apps like UF, Litchi, and the 3DR Mission Planner/Droid Planner/Tower/etc. (for APM FCs) are not supposed to be affected, but basically being fairly ignorant as to exactly what the shut down entails ... I just want to be sure before I buy.

I still have a copy of the old DJI Pilot app, and for some (semi-morbid) reason I want to see what happens after Google Earth API is dead on Saturday.
Kind'a like a kid kicking a dead cat to see if it moves ..... ;)
I don't think it will be like Y2k

To be fair, what you are saying is that whatever people are paying you for your service / effort / time ( your job, your business, etc) is not worth what you are being paid. And the effort and investment you put in to get yourself trained (education, professional training, experience) means nothing.

My understanding is that Lichi app isn't necessary to fly your quad. So there are no obligation on your part to buy it.

I also think a Lamborghini should cost about maybe $40,000 USD. Afterall, how much is the materials cost to make it?

And next time if a surgeon is costing too much, one can consider exchanging for a butcher. They both have the skill to cut you open and removed whatever it is that needed to be removed. A butcher will cost only a fraction. (Read surgeon = Lichi, butcher = DJI app. Not a good analogy, but I hope you get my drift.)
Agreed. And I like supporting developers to come up with innovative software. I hope they keep writing good stuff and are able to make a few bucks for their time along the way.

I agree. Adding the cost of the drone, carry pack, tablet, accessories, extra batteries, etc, etc, whats another $20 bucks
Bought my car for $20,000. Spent $500 in tires. What's another $1000 for floor mats?

Um.... because that comparison makes no sense.

What you pay for something does not dictate a a price on something else.

I'm not saying Litchi is over-priced... I'm just pointing out the _clear_ mistake of this typical response.

If you still think you are correct, please let me know.... I have some stuff I need to sell. Everything is priced very reasonably... as compared to what you paid for your house.

Vote with your own wallet. Think it is too expensive? Then don't buy it. Other people think it is great value and have bought and used it.

It does not need to be one or the other. I bought it, think it's worth every penny and I also think it's a little expensive for what it is. On top of that, I think the developer has done a wonderful job.

Everyone who posts that this, or any app, is expensive is not automatically saying they should get it for free or that the developer is charging too much or that it's unfair. They _only_ feel that the price is a little high.

Bought my car for $20,000. Spent $500 in tires. What's another $1000 for floor mats?

I'm not saying Litchi is over-priced... I'm just pointing out the _clear_ mistake of this typical response.

If you still think you are correct, please let me know.... I have some stuff I need to sell. Everything is priced very reasonably... as compared to what you paid for your house.
Sure, whatcha got to sell! And...........if you think it's too expensive, then it is. ........

I disagree that the comparison makes no sense. It makes perfect sense because you need to consider the potential importance of the item you are buying relative to the drone/car/whatever value.

$1,000 floor mats on a $20,000 car: That's 5% of the item price for a place to put your muddy shoes.

$15 application on a $1,000 drone: 1.5% of the item price for the primary system for control, visualization, programming, and interface with that drone.

If you changed your analogy to say, $1,000 for a new engine because its importance to the car is about as big as the impact of the control software to a drone, I would say that's a heck of a deal and you should buy it if you can.

You're not just purchasing a single use item @ $15, you're making an investment that allows you to take more complete advantage of that other thing you spent > $1,000 on...

Plus, for only $15 bucks you also get a direct pipeline into the development roadmap and support for the product... we've asked for features over the last 2 months that ARE.NOW.IN.THE.PRODUCT... how often do you get that?...

IMO it's a cheap price for the punch they pack into it... you'll spend more than that in one night at the pub and it won't give you a hangover but put a smile on your face every time you use it...

Stop tripping over the notes to get to the pennies...

They _only_ feel that the price is a little high.
It's fine you view the price a little high. I didn't buy Litchi when it was on regular price, I only bought to try when it was 50% off sale a few weeks ago. OP made it sounds like the price is shockingly high, may be he is comparing to those $1 apps. If you compare to those more expensive GPS apps like Tomtom then you might think differently.

One thing I love about litchi is that it's not pushing me to advertising junk and stuff I don't have. When I open dji go, why should I be flipping through inspires? What do i care about osmo announcements? Why am i constantly prodded into some social sharing network?

I want to start the app for my p3p and I don't want to be skipping through advertisements and things that don't relate to me. The app is already full of options and settings. I only want things that relate to me and my p3 flying on that day.

Last edited:
You folks are of course correct,and anything is/isn't worth whatever you feel it is/isn't to you.

If there is no sale on it soon, I'll be buying Litchi because of what it is and does.
In all honesty ....to me it's actually worth more than their asking price for it and the plugins, for all the reasons you guys/gals have commented on.

That said, I like the "price hunt" almost as much as I like the something that I'm looking to purchase.
My poor wife was thoroughly embarrassed recently when I haggled a better price on a Big Mac.
Seriously ... they gave me .$50 off, and considering it's a pre-priced item on their automated system, I totally consider that my mental "wall trophy/catch of the day"!! ;)

Heck .... $.50 cents will buy some electrical connectors off eBay ...with free shipping, out of China.
It amazes me that they can ship a 1/4 TS connector from China for a total cost that's less than we'd pay just for the shipping to send one from one side of town to the other!
Ignoring the cost to get it here from China ... somebody in China shipping made a 'great' deal with our domestic agent for doing the final shipping once it's here and out of customs.

I just wanna make that kind of deal with Litchi for my app ... even if they apply a one time, for me only ... $19.49 cyber-transfer fee! ;)

My initial problem isnt that it costs £14.99 i would say that was a little on the steep side but would probably pay it. Its once you buy the app you then have to spend £3.99 to get certain features...each!. Its popping up all the time in 3rd party apps, you think to yourself ok i will spend x amount on that app then when you open it you have to keep paying out for other parts that should all be there in the first place, its so frickin annoying and taking advantage of the consumer. The guy who likes the analogy about lamborghinis etc, if you were to buy one for £400000 or whatever you want 2 pay for one,you wouldnt then expect to pay another £10000 for the bloody brakes to work would you!! An app like this should be all in because when they keep bringing out better features for it etc you will have to keep paying £3.99 for the pleasure..... its not on in my opinion!!

Funny.... this is the "Pro/Adv" forum - (the cream of the crop ?) and people are quibbling over $20 to make your P3A/P a better tool... cracks me up!

My initial problem isnt that it costs £14.99 i would say that was a little on the steep side but would probably pay it. Its once you buy the app you then have to spend £3.99 to get certain features...each!. Its popping up all the time in 3rd party apps, you think to yourself ok i will spend x amount on that app then when you open it you have to keep paying out for other parts that should all be there in the first place, its so frickin annoying and taking advantage of the consumer. The guy who likes the analogy about lamborghinis etc, if you were to buy one for £400000 or whatever you want 2 pay for one,you wouldnt then expect to pay another £10000 for the bloody brakes to work would you!! An app like this should be all in because when they keep bringing out better features for it etc you will have to keep paying £3.99 for the pleasure..... its not on in my opinion!!
Have you got a games console? If you have how many games have you bought for it, and how much were they each?
Not trying to be clever with you, just trying to put in to context.

Have you got a games console? If you have how many games have you bought for it, and how much were they each?
Not trying to be clever with you, just trying to put in to context.
totally different thing altogether!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20