LIMP GIMBAL

Reaction score
Looking for some advice, my gimble suddenly stopped working.

The app shows a roll error, people say its the ribbon but i cant see any damage and camera works fine.

The issue is the gimble no longer does its diagnostic dance on power on or does it respond to the controller.

Ive tried the usual imu calibration, gimble calibration sd card change etc with no luck and am lost for a fix!

A friend of mine has a complete phantom advanced gimble and camera and since there are no answers on the internet can i swap my standard gimble and camera out for the one from my friemds phamtom advanced?

Welcome to the Forum!
Wow, 118 ;)

The first member I can think of at the moment to help you out is:
@quaddamage

Wait to see if he comes by.

Rod

Last edited:
Reactions: JonTheMagnificent
Quaddamage hasn't been signed on for a couple of days.

Maybe @Oso, can help a little quicker.

What are the status lights doing on the camera?

Rod

The app shows a roll error, people say its the ribbon but i cant see any damage and camera works fine.

The issue is the gimble no longer does its diagnostic dance on power on or does it respond to the controller.

This usually does mean the Flat Flex Cable is damaged. Asking people not to call it ribbon cable seem to be hopeless cause.

A friend of mine has a complete phantom advanced gimble and camera and since there are no answers on the internet can i swap my standard gimble and camera out for the one from my friemds phamtom advanced?

P3S and P3C have different gimbals. You'd have to be very creative with soldering to connect one to the other.

Gimbal issues seem to divide into two categories:
1. Gimbal gives up and stays limp
2. Gimbal drives motors, but moves instead of stabilizing, or keeps itself in boundary position

I draw this conclusion from limited set of cases, so can't be sure. But I think:
1. If gimbal does not receive data from its IMU (located near the sensor), it doesn't arm any of the motor drivers and gimbal stays limp; this can be caused by FFC, or the sensor board with IMU, or connector on gimbal top board
2. If gimbal receives data from its IMU, then it tries to drive motors; issues with driving are either caused by FFC or any of the 3 motor drivers

I'd first check if gimbal controller gets power (just check whether all pads marked with voltage have that voltage on them).
Then buy a new FFC.
If that won't help, there's probably damage around gimbal IMU.

thumb-up-terminator pablo M R.jpg

Rod

Quaddamage hasn't been signed on for a couple of days.

Maybe @Oso, can help a little quicker.

What are the status lights doing on the camera?

Rod

Hi Rod the 2 lights on the gimble board i can see flash a few seconds when i power on the both go solid green

The drone its self makes a constant 3 beeps.

Reading your descriptions below the gimble stays completely limp, it doesnt even make the effort to the diagnostic movements when you power on the drone.

I really appreciate all your help

Reactions: RodPad
I know this is an old thread but am hoping someone can chime in and give some suggestions.

The gimbal on my P3S suddenly started periodically staying limp on startup (no initialization). I can usually get it to iniatialize by gently shaking and tilting the drone.

I have only ever had one crash and that was almost 2 years ago. The gimbal was fine but I had a stuck IMU which I fixed by tapping the IMU. Ever since then my P3S has been rock solid.

I have inspected the gimbal and cable and can’t see and damage. When the gimbal is limp I get a few errors related to the gimbal (can’t remember the exact wording) but when it’s operating properly there are no errors.

My P3S is almost 4 years old.

Any help appreciated.

Chris

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31