Lens correction in Lightroom, I'm confused

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just started playing with my P4P, so satisfied! What a camera!

However, I'm confused about the Lens Correction in Lightroom CC. When I open a photo in LR, Develop module, and go to Lens Correction, after a couple of seconds the "message" "(i) Built-in Lens Profile applied" comes up. OK, so the lens profile for the camera FC6310 is applied automatically?

But, if I then mark the box "Enable Profile Correction", the "Model" 24.0 mm and the "Profile" Phantom 4 Pro FC 6310 - 24. 0 mm comes up and the image is changed, as far I can see the vignetting is changed (removed?). Hmm? What is happening?

If I look at images with a horizon, the horizon isn't straight, it is curved, and I can't change it enough with the Distortion slider (under Profile) to be correct. However, with the distortion slider under Manual I can fix the horizon (+3 or +4 seems to be ok).

Anyone else experiencing this? Is the lens correction for P4P not of the best quality?

Hi,

I've just started playing with my P4P, so satisfied! What a camera!

However, I'm confused about the Lens Correction in Lightroom CC. When I open a photo in LR, Develop module, and go to Lens Correction, after a couple of seconds the "message" "(i) Built-in Lens Profile applied" comes up. OK, so the lens profile for the camera FC6310 is applied automatically?

But, if I then mark the box "Enable Profile Correction", the "Model" 24.0 mm and the "Profile" Phantom 4 Pro FC 6310 - 24. 0 mm comes up and the image is changed, as far I can see the vignetting is changed (removed?). Hmm? What is happening?

If I look at images with a horizon, the horizon isn't straight, it is curved, and I can't change it enough with the Distortion slider (under Profile) to be correct. However, with the distortion slider under Manual I can fix the horizon (+3 or +4 seems to be ok).

Anyone else experiencing this? Is the lens correction for P4P not of the best quality?
Wow, I'm surprised your getting a curved horizon much to speak of. Not sure on the lens correction for the p4p in Lightroom. I have not had any vignetting at all on my p4p. I have used lens correction with my bigger DSLR files to skew a part of the shot but have not had any reason to use that on the drone pics. Mainly because it has a pretty decent rectilinear lens that keeps things fairly straight as compared to the older GoPro's.

I have experienced (and am still experiencing) the vignetting issue when I pull a 5 shot AEB into Photomatix. I'm not sure if that's exactly what you were seeing though. I never had vignetting issue with my P3A, but can't get it to go away with P4P

I have experienced (and am still experiencing) the vignetting issue when I pull a 5 shot AEB into Photomatix. I'm not sure if that's exactly what you were seeing though. I never had vignetting issue with my P3A, but can't get it to go away with P4P
Are you keeping the camera in auto when shooting your 5 shot image? If you set the camera on aperture priority or just do it maually you won't have the camera changing the aperture on you which is what is causing your vignetting because the aperture is being changed on each shot to get your 5 diff exposures. Would this help?

Wow, I'm surprised your getting a curved horizon much to speak of. Not sure on the lens correction for the p4p in Lightroom. I have not had any vignetting at all on my p4p. I have used lens correction with my bigger DSLR files to skew a part of the shot but have not had any reason to use that on the drone pics. Mainly because it has a pretty decent rectilinear lens that keeps things fairly straight as compared to the older GoPro's.
Well, if the horizon is close to the top of the image I get a curved horizon, not that much and it can fix it. However, I believed that I shouldn't get any curved horizon at all with the lens correction applied. But maybe I'm asking to much ... :)

Are you keeping the camera in auto when shooting your 5 shot image? If you set the camera on aperture priority or just do it maually you won't have the camera changing the aperture on you which is what is causing your vignetting because the aperture is being changed on each shot to get your 5 diff exposures. Would this help?
Well, that's what I thought based on our conversation the other day KevMo, but I tried again this past weekend with all manual settings, and I'm still getting the vignetting on every single AEB shot.

Well, if the horizon is close to the top of the image I get a curved horizon, not that much and it can fix it. However, I believed that I shouldn't get any curved horizon at all with the lens correction applied. But maybe I'm asking to much ... :)
Oh ok at the top if horizon is at top you will get a little bit. Sorry I can't help you on that. I will mess with that some and see if I can figure out a solution for you though.

Reactions: AndersGB
Well, that's what I thought based on our conversation the other day KevMo, but I tried again this past weekend with all manual settings, and I'm still getting the vignetting on every single AEB shot.
Dang that sucks man. Sorry I forgot who I talked to about this. LOL. I'm in and out here. Hmmmm. Wonder what's up then? I'll try a 5 shot image and see if I am getting it too. You say it's only vignetting on 1 or 2 of the 5 shots it takes? so some are and some aren't?

Dang that sucks man. Sorry I forgot who I talked to about this. LOL. I'm in and out here. Hmmmm. Wonder what's up then? I'll try a 5 shot image and see if I am getting it too. You say it's only vignetting on 1 or 2 of the 5 shots it takes? so some are and some aren't?
Well, I've only ever imported 5 shots at a time into Photomatix, so I'm not sure which or how many of the photos are to blame for the vignetting.

What lens profile are you talking about? From my understanding Adobe hasn't released the P4P lens profile yet. They haven't updated Lightroom in months.

What lens profile are you talking about? From my understanding Adobe hasn't released the P4P lens profile yet. They haven't updated Lightroom in months.
I have LR CC, "2015.8 Release and Camera Raw 9.8" and it looks like the images below.

Attachments

• P4P_LR profile.jpeg
    P4P_LR profile.jpeg
    79.6 KB · Views: 469
  • P4P_LR_lens profile.jpeg
    P4P_LR_lens profile.jpeg
    24.8 KB · Views: 550
But, wait a minute, the 24 mm profile is a profile I have downloaded from a friend here on Phantompilots (I'm sorry, I don't remember who it was, unfortunately). Sorry for mixing this up!

But, wait a minute, the 24 mm profile is a profile I have downloaded from a friend here on Phantompilots (I'm sorry, I don't remember who it was, unfortunately). Sorry for mixing this up!
It sorta sounds like the profile is being applied twice. Are you applying the lens correction on import?

It's not really necessary to use lens correction unless to remove chromatic aberration from the edges of objects in your video. If you are not familiar with chromatic aberration goggle it for a definition.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
This is what I see in LR when I go to apply the lens profile correction, it states there is also a correction that been applied

I am using Up to date Adobe LR CC

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-04 at 9.06.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-04 at 9.06.21 AM.png
    696.8 KB · Views: 427

Really?
I never get a curved horizon, a sometimes crooked one (gimbal issue, not camera issue). P4P... go figure. The only distortion I have is barrel distortion (to be expected from a 24mm lens.
zeldon50

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj