Suggestions Please For Reducing or Eliminating Lens Distortion In Post Production

Reaction score
Greetings!

Yep… I’m still running the Phantom 4 Pro in 2021!

After searching online without success I hope to learn from the forum:
Preferred approaches for reducing or eliminating P4P lens distortion while maintaining a level horizon line.

I use Lightroom Classic and Photoshop (both 2021)… on a Mac running Mojave.

I’m familiar with Lightroom’s “Lens Corrections” pane.
I’m familiar with Photoshop’s Lens Correction Filter, but I’m still not getting satisfactory distortion corrections.

Attached are two sample images from Lightroom:

Image 1:
Enable Profile Corrections are NOT enabled.
A Built-in Lens Profile has been applied (but I don’t understand which one?)
Image is distorted with buildings leaning left and right.

Image 2:
Enable Profile Corrections ARE enabled (Adobe PHANTOM4FC330) appears to be the only profile for the P4P?
Image changed only slightly and remains distorted.

Thank You!

01.jpg
02.jpg

The lens correction tools are mild. When photographing from a drone it is nearly impossible to get true verticals (think architecture) because you usually can not get the camera lens axis parallel to the ground or square to a structure's vertical members. You should use the more powerful tools under Edit (in PS after you select all) to play around with distort or other tools to get the look you want. This does have a learning curve. I've been doing it forever..

Reactions: RotorWash_UAV
The lens correction tools are mild. When photographing from a drone it is nearly impossible to get true verticals (think architecture) because you usually can not get the camera lens axis parallel to the ground or square to a structure's vertical members. You should use the more powerful tools under Edit (in PS after you select all) to play around with distort or other tools to get the look you want. This does have a learning curve. I've been doing it forever..
Thanks for your reply, JeffreyS. I photograph real estate interiors using a 16-35mm lens so I understand what you mean about verticals being tough to perfect when the lens is tilted. I'll play with the Photoshop Transform tools as you suggest. Do you happen to have a distorted before-and-after image you've corrected using the Transform tools you'd be willing to post so I can see how much of a transformation I can expect to achieve?

Yep… I’m still running the Phantom 4 Pro in 2021!
Nothing wrong with that.
DJI still haven't produced a consumer drone that's better for photographers.
Image 1:
Image is distorted with buildings leaning left and right.
The distortion is completely a result of looking downwards with a very wideangle lens.
You would see the same with your high-end SLR and a wideangle lens.

Image 2:
Enable Profile Corrections ARE enabled (Adobe PHANTOM4FC330) appears to be the only profile for the P4P?
Image changed only slightly and remains distorted.
Adobe doesn't use profile corrections for DJI cameras after the original P4
Instead, the cameras produce images with a lens profile included in the image file.
So you don't need to do anything if you are using Adobe software - the corrections happen automatically.

If you want your verticals to be vertical, don't tilt the camera downwards ... just the same as when you shoot internals for real estate.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan