Just bought the parrot disco, will keep my phantom 3 in addition.

That was cool, could you please let me know how/where you came across that "Let me Google that for you" site.

We've been using LMGTFY for a good while now. I don't know where Frank heard about it but I started using it when I saw it on another forum a good while back.

Monte you're incorrect. When flying it does make a WORLD of difference if you're flying against or with the wind. If you're flying along and your ground speed is 50mph but you have a tailwind of 40mph your airspeed is now roughly 10mph. If the wing needs an airspeed of 20mph to avoid a stall you have a serious problem on your hands.

The exact opposite is also true (which we try to use to our advantage). Say you're flying along and your ground speed is 50mph and you are flying directly into the wind of say 40 mph. Your "Airspeed" is now 90mph. Let's assume this particular airplane has a stall speed of 30mph. You could, in theory, land this airplane with a ground speed of 10mph (airspeed 40mph - stall speed of 30 mph = ground speed 10mph).

That mass of air is very fluid/dynamic and if you're flying close to the stall speed of the aircraft you can bet your bottom dollar you'll want to know which directly and speed the wind is traveling in. This is exactly why planes will be landing from one directly (lets say East to West) and suddenly ATC switches them West to East. This is because they want to always land INTO the wind and when the wind direction changes enough ATC will change the traffic pattern to facilitate landing with a HEAD wind and not a tail wind.
Sorry for the thread drift, but this post still just boggles my mind.

Sorry for the thread drift, but this post still just boggles my mind.
By all means take it into a PM and we will hash it out. But please explain to me exactly what it is that boggles you so. It's possible that I'm tired and over looked something or even mis-spoke/typed. . .

By all means take it into a PM and we will hash it out. But please explain to me exactly what it is that boggles you so. It's possible that I'm tired and over looked something or even mis-spoke/typed. . .
It is completely incorrect. What boggles my mind is that it's written by a licensed pilot.

Last edited:
I just realized this is a full blown highjacking over some plane mumbo jumbo!

You guys realize we're talking about a Parrot product? A styrofoam airplane?

I love parrot innovation.... but their service is horrible, worse than DJI.... and their products are sloppy and horrible.

Best Parrot device I had was a car stereo... and then it caught on fire.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

The software will increase thrust (where by trying to increase speed) and lower angle of attack if the aircraft gets too slow.

Yes it "can"stall physically but the Flight Controller over rides operator input to prevent stalls.

HI BigAl07

Try telling that to the 'spirits' of the poor aircrew of the Airbus 'Chainsaw' that crashed at an airshow in the 1980's(I think). That stalled into a forest after a low slow pass.

A320.......flight controller vs pilot vs ground

:)

Last edited:
Funny :grinning:, I did that. Was more wanting to know how he stumbled across it, been on different forums for many years and never came across it. Think I'll be over using it now, watchout.

The controller had a full disconnect from the bird. Thats what happened. I have attached images of the onboard computer and its readings for the entire flight duration. Here they are again. IMG_6064 2.PNG IMG_6066 2.PNG IMG_6065 2.PNG S is the start of the flight. On the ground and E is the end of the flight, That is in the air............ The E should be on the ground even if it crashed.

Reactions: Philltayl
The controller had a full disconnect from the bird. Thats what happened. I have attached images of the onboard computer and its readings for the entire flight duration. Here they are again. View attachment 66885 View attachment 66887 View attachment 66886 S is the start of the flight. On the ground and E is the end of the flight, That is in the air............ The E should be on the ground even if it crashed.

Right, looking at that, I would say that at the 'end' the aircraft climbed sharply (ie the yellow line at the end) speed over the ground (ie slightly less yellow and more greenish) slowed , stalled and then gravity took over. Hence the crash.

No indication of what the airspeed actually was.

The controller had a full disconnect from the bird. Thats what happened. I have attached images of the onboard computer and its readings for the entire flight duration. Here they are again. View attachment 66885 View attachment 66887 View attachment 66886 S is the start of the flight. On the ground and E is the end of the flight, That is in the air............ The E should be on the ground even if it crashed.

do you have any FPV video of the 'end' of the flight?

The air speed was around 70-80 feet per second. This did not stall, it was a powered dive. The log on this is not like an normal log. Even after a crash the E ends up on the ground where the bird crashed. This is still in the air. It was a complete system failure. The FPV footage shows the bird flying at level and then stops.

This was a complete and total failure of the disco. It just went haywire.

The air speed was around 70-80 feet per second. This did not stall, it was a powered dive. The log on this is not like an normal log. Even after a crash the E ends up on the ground where the bird crashed. This is still in the air. It was a complete system failure. The FPV footage shows the bird flying at level and then stops.

This was a complete and total failure of the disco. It just went haywire.

Please post the FVP footage if you can.........I still think a deep full power stall caused the crash.

Did you initiate the steep climb or did the 'flight controller' do that?

IMG_6078.PNG More pictures and stuff. Please note two pictures showing the flight info. Notice how the one says "Crashed" that is triggered even if you set it down hard. Notice my last flight? The ill fated flight? No crash..... I think you are missing the point. There was a complete disconnect. Where it shows E in mid-flight? That is where I was no longer in control or had any communication with the plane. View attachment 66892 View attachment 66892 View attachment 66893 I will up load the video in a bit. The contrast is horrible so I will clean it up in final cut pro. You are saying something that I and two other witness's did not see and we were standing there. It was flying level and power dived. Dive under throttle is not a stall.

Attachments

• IMG_6077.PNG
    IMG_6077.PNG
    66.9 KB · Views: 285
Please post the FVP footage if you can.........I still think a deep full power stall caused the crash.

Did you initiate the steep climb or did the 'flight controller' do that?
That was not a very steep climb. This thing is moving at 45-60 mph most of the time. The software limits the climb rate to whatever is best for the drone regardless of my input. It sort of removes the complete fun of the experience but still leaves enough to keep you wanting to fly it. It is like an autopilot that is very loose. It watches for movements and throttle pushes that could endanger the aircraft and it wont let you do them.

Reactions: Philltayl
This is how far off the ground it was when everything just stopped functioning properly.

Attachments

• IMG_6065 2.PNG
    IMG_6065 2.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 325
That was not a very steep climb. This thing is moving at 45-60 mph most of the time. The software limits the climb rate to whatever is best for the drone regardless of my input. It sort of removes the complete fun of the experience but still leaves enough to keep you wanting to fly it. It is like an autopilot that is very loose. It watches for movements and throttle pushes that could endanger the aircraft and it wont let you do them.

See my post re A320 crash in France..........:)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj