Just a Quick Litchi Question before Installing

Be cautious!! I have an iPad mini4 and have had issues using the Litchi app with the DJI app open in the background. I've had other issues with the Litchi app some of which are covered in the manual, others are not. There are dozens of people on this forum who have used the Litchi app without a hitch. I was not as fortunate.

A couple of issues with this app:

1) Using it negates your DJI warranty. They don't cover 3rd party apps even if you have the extended insurance.
2) Litchi is not very helpful in reconciling issues with the app. (They tend to blame the user before having any of the facts)
3) You lose all obstacle avoidance functions with the app
4) You will almost certainly fly missions where the aircraft flies beyond "line of sight" creating potential navigation hazards
5) Regaining control of the aircraft at a critical moment has proven to be hit and miss. Litchi has specific instructions on how to cancel the mission and regain control but I lost my first P4 when that feature failed and I couldn't regain control.

In mid October of this year I had an un-commanded descent into a swamp while using the Litchi app. After several days of research, retracing all my steps, uncovering my mistakes and the shortcomings of the app I determined the app was unsafe for me. If it worked as designed and the safeguards could be utilized it would be a top notch application. The mission planning and ability to use google maps for terrain following is a wonderful tool. Unfortunately the app by design disables some critical features creating unnecessary risk.

Using the app is a bit like driving a car too fast on a mountain highway without a guardrail. If you know you'll be driving fast you had best choose a road with a guardrail. If you know the road doesn't have a guardrail, slow down. This app is missing the guardrail. I no longer use it.

Last edited:
The problem seems to be more of an issue on android. Apps have a tendency to sneak back on in the background. Several posts have describe this. And once the second app opens back up, you are in a potential problem situation.

Wow, yeah. That could indeed cause a conflict!

Wow, yeah. That could indeed cause a conflict!
Definitely, I removed dji go from the devices I use litchi on. I could never get go to stay stopped no matter what method I used to force stop it it would just sneak back up and be running in the background after a few minutes. No issues at all with litchi on the two devices I run litchi on since removing go, it runs like a charm, and go I have no issues with on the device I have only go on. The two apps don't play well together it seems lol all three devices are android so I can't comment on if there is an issue there on iOS as well but definitely on android it seems best advice is to not have the two apps on the same device.

So I downloaded Litchi last night, installed it and opened it up, but it did not do any sort of registering with the DJI server and it would never connect to my P3S. So I had to do the refund thing because I was unable to make it work. Maybe I missed something?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl