Just a Quick Litchi Question before Installing

Reaction score
I am about to "pull the trigger" on Litchi because of some really promising features, BUT very confused about something in Litchi's website/basic instructions....

The installation procedure seems to indicate two things that cause a LOT of hesitation:
1) The instruction pretty much states that you must remove DJIGo from your device before installing Litchi;
2) Litchi's information indicates the App will communicate with DJI Servers when installing the new App.

Are the above statements accurate? These are a BIG concern so I wanted to ask current Litchi users if I understand the above correctly.

Regarding the dump of the DJI GO App, well, I do not want to do that; it works fine, and is NOT the current version (my version is no longer available, if I want to re-install it).

Regarding communication between my device and DJI Servers, I DO NOT want DJI to detect my older firmwares and freeze things up until I update. My reasons are simple for that: What I have works flawlessly as-is, and I don't want to screw things up (or, in fact have added restricted airspaces contained in the program - I won't even go there - let's just say I believe airspace authorizations are MY responsibility, not DJI's).

Here is what I currently have:
Phantom P3 Advanced;
Firmware on Aircraft = 1.4.10 (I think this was the version that introduced POI, follow, 2K video, etc);
Remote Controller (according to GO App info screen) = 1.3.20;
Battery had the "cold temperature (?)" update with 1.4.10 aircraft update;
Device is Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.8 Inch (Android)

Anyway, is 1) and 2) above correct, and are my suspicions that DJI will insist on AC firmware update correct as well? If so, I will just stick to what I have.

Forgive me if this info appears elsewhere - I really took a long time to research any answers before posting.

I'm by no means a litchi vet lol only recently pulled the trigger but I'll answer to the best of my knowledge and hopefully a vet can answer further and clear things up :)

1) k as for question one. I was running tab with both apps installed and could fly no problem in litchi but it seemed to have a few little odd things here and there like I couldn't go into f mode, I'd flip switch but it wouldn't go to f mode would go to atti mode fine. Things like that. Now litchi says and others have said u must force close go app before using litchi. I of course did that in the settings I'd force kill it even tried killing it with advanced task killer (killed it not just stopped or close it) and dji go kept turning back on after awhile lol so I uninstalled go and litchi runs flawlessly now. Maybe others have better luck killing go and it staying off but I never did.

2) as for two if my understanding is correct it only needs internet connection the first time the app is started so it can authenticate with dji servers. I ran litchi for awhile on older ac firmware and didn't see any negative repercussions. I run litchi on 2 devices a phone that only has litchi on it I use for fpv flying with vr goggles and a tab. Neither has internet and are never connected to the internet now that they have installed on them all I want. I run dji go on my normal everyday phone and that has data on it but the litchi devices never see internet (well next to never I'll connect them if flying in a new area to cache maps but that rarely happens) I fly near my home 95% of the time as I'm surrounded by alfalfa fields for hundreds or acres all around so I rarely fly anywhere else so litchi devices really rarely see the net so I'd hafta so no litchi doesn't connect to dji servers except the one time first start up litchi mentions it will need. Hope that helps happy flying

I have both apps on my device. Don't remember if I uninstalled dji before Litchi was installed. Here are the older versions of dji go for you to browse through: DJI GO APK download | APKPure.co

Btw... you will LOVE Litchi!!

Here are the firmware downloads of older versions as well: Phantom 3 Advanced - Specs, FAQ, Tutorials, Downloads and DJI GO - DJI

Although I've never had the need you can also downgrade the controller firmware here:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The latest drone firmware has cold weather battery update v 1.9.60

As far as no fly zones, I use only Litchi and have the latest firmware across the board. I've flown well near the 5 mile limit of int'l airport and dont have problems, DJI go says its a controlled airspace, fly with caution, but it flies. Geofencing can be turned off in DJI go.

Thanks, Guys. I still have a TON of questions about Litchi before diving in, but your answers to the above help a lot.
Ask away :) I was apprehensive at first about jumping in and taking the litchi dive lol but glad I did it's great, not that go is bad it's a good app too litchi just has some added features that are really nice

I like Litchi over GO in one big way. Recorded waypoints access in saved waypoint missions. I don't like the way GO app handles it. Also using this: Mission Hub - Litchi is awesome and really helps planning flights before you even leave the house.

Reactions: GhostRdrTat
I have both on my iPad mini 4 (although I am running an earlier version of Go) and have never had a problem. Started with Go. And added Litchi later. I usually use Go to adjust some settings or if I am just flying around and Litchi for more formal missions but Litchi works fine for general flying too. Definitely want to close Go before opening Litchi. On the iPad, double tap the home button and then swipe the Go app up to fully close it out. My longest mission with Litchi wa almost 6 km long with a max distance of 1200 m and took 17 min. Flew just as planned and autolanded within less than a meter of the starting point. Go for it, but PLEASE download and read the manual. Many of the problems/questions people have had are covered in the manual.

Reactions: GhostRdrTat
I'm a Litchi user now, and I would have sooner if it wasn't for the high price. That price drop a few days is what made me finally pull the trigger. I've done at least 10 missions now, and all have been long distance. I use an iPad Mini 4, but I plan my missions on flylitchi.com.

When I fly missions, I make sure all of my other apps are closed down before opening Litchi. After the bird warms up, I open one of my mission files I created on line(since I'm logged in), upload it into the bird and send it on its say. It comes back like a puppy after about 20 minutes with some great video.

One quick story, I did a long mission where I had it end about a mile away since I wasn't sure my battery would last the flight all the way back. My plan was to drive to the landing zone after sending it off so I could retrieve it. On the way, I think my wife, who was holding the RC, accidentally pressed the RTH because I eventually heard the tell tale RTH beeping after a long disconnection. Since I was really new to Litchi, I didn't know where "home" was so I shut down Litchi and opened Go. After I got Go going, I reset my home to my location and I successfully retrieved my bird. It made it to point of interest almost 4 miles away, but it didn't complete the flyby since it was in RTH mode.

About Litchi contacting DJI, I have no idea but I wouldn't doubt it.

You can set litchi to Dynamic home point the home point will follow the controller

You can set litchi to Dynamic home point the home point will follow the controller
Thanks. There are other things I need to find out like formatting the SD card. I watched one of my videos on my computer and then moved it to the trash afterward. I then was about to send my bird out on a mission when I got the message that the video recording was stopping because my card was full. I'm used to Go so I presumed it was in the camera settings. I didn't see it there so I sent it on its mission with no video on that one run.

I've been researching web sites and watching informative videos on Litchi, but I still have a lot to learn.

Make sure that you reformat the SD card in the app. Just deleting a file or 'moving it to trash' doesn't completely zero out the file directory and you can get those card full messages. I make it my standard procedure to immediately copy the files to my laptop and reformat the SD card prior to takeoff.

Make sure that you reformat the SD card in the app. Just deleting a file or 'moving it to trash' doesn't completely zero out the file directory and you can get those card full messages. I make it my standard procedure to immediately copy the files to my laptop and reformat the SD card prior to takeoff.
Where is that function? I wasn't able to find it during that flight since it didn't appear to be in the camera settings menu.

Where is that function? I wasn't able to find it during that flight since it didn't appear to be in the camera settings menu.
It's in main settings

Thanks for answering, Grammaton. I haven't been somewhere that I could get to the app to check for ftttu.

Reactions: ftttu
DJI go and Litchi format SD card buttons
DJI go format.png
litchi format.png

Reactions: ftttu
I'm also a very new litchi user and have Go installed. Making sure both aren't open at the same time would be prudent, but I can't see where just having the app would cause a conflict. No problems with litchi so far.

The problem seems to be more of an issue on android. Apps have a tendency to sneak back on in the background. Several posts have describe this. And once the second app opens back up, you are in a potential problem situation.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers