It happened.... helpppp

Reaction score
So my brother and I do vinyl graphics for vehicles and we had the drone (phantom 3 advanced) about 2 feet from my grand Cherokee getting pics for advertising and it decided to launch itself into the window with force. Because it wasn’t very high off the ground the Jeep took more damage than the drone itself. There’s one small chip, and a couple broken props. No big deal. But the problem is after it did this it decided to spin all 4 motors at full speed non stop. Now no matter what I do, when it’s on it is spinning full speed and I can’t even control it with the controller, I literally have to remove the battery with the props spinning in order to stop it. I noticed 2 things. One the screen said motor obstruction, and 2, one motor actually does catch and doesn’t rotate freely.

Sorry for the long post, now for the question. Is this simply a motor replacement and done scenario or does this sound more like a motherboard malfunction?

Thanks in advance!

Could be that the one motor that doesn’t rotate freely is what’s giving you the motor obstruction error.
As for the uncontrolled full throttle, I would start with a IMU calibration and a remote controller stick calibration. Do all start-ups with the props off.

Reactions: Capt KO
Ok, did the IMU calibration and it is no longer spinning at full throttle. The one motor definitely feels obstructed, can you point me in the direction of replacements? Amazon preferred since I’d like to get it back up and running by the weekend. What info would I need off the drone to determine the correct motors?

You’re a life saver! Thank you!

Definitely is the bad motor that causes the problem. IMU tends to make all motors rotate at the same speed. As one is not responding as desired it pushes up spinning.
It's the same situation if the drone turns at one side at touch down and blocks one or two motors. The free motors begin to spin to maximal level. It happened to me once. Terrible noise and smoke from one motor and I had to pull the battery out to stop that.
Pretty embarrassing for surroundings.

My Toyota pickup is a magnetic nightmare. Cant fly within 10 ft of it without problems. It attracts drones to it and screws up the compass. Cannot do a compass calibration anywhere near it or will get a 'flyaway' once it leaves the immediate area. Might be your problem.
Hope all goes well. Stay safe

Reactions: KachemakDiver
Just a warning to new pilots.
If ever near a vehicle and get the "calibrate compass" warning, DON'T! Just move away until the message goes away. Otherwise bye bye birdy. Same goes for any area with visible or unseen metal nearby. All can cause compass malfunction under certain conditions.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan