It finally happened! Just fell from the sky....

Reaction score
First let me ask this. How do I recover the video file since it’s corrupted because when the camera crashed to the ground it was still recording??

Okay, a bad day for me finally was in the cards. I have had countless successful flights with my P2v, P2v+ and probably….no, exactly 32 with my P2V+V3 but flight number 33 was a disaster!!! I went out and did my usual start up procedures that we’re all familiar with. Let it hover for a few minutes to make sure everything was good. Then sent it off on a nice medium length GS mission. All was great as it came back to the last way point right over my home point. Took control to do a bit more flying and got about 30’ away and BAM!!! All of the sudden the motors started to sputter and all was lost!!! Fell about 240’ to the ground. The camera is trashed and my cable that connects the Flytrex 3G is a goner. I’m just so pissed and now I can sympathize with anyone who has had this happen.

I need to figure out how to recover the corrupt video file and how to check the Flytrex data to see if I can pinpoint what the hell went wrong. Any advice would be appreciated! Guess I get to sit in the LOOONG line of the DJI warranty cue now…..SON OF……!!

Sorry to hear this. Not sure how to recover the data but having a look under the shell at the boards and wires would be one thing I would check after you get your data.

Well, everything looks okay under the hood as far as I can see. No burnt ESC's or lose connections. I'm thinking it was a battery failure. The battery was about 15' away from the bird and still on showing 2 sold led's and the third flashing as if it were still in the Phantom.

Looks like the only real damage is to the camera and the little plug for the Flytrex. Motors all spin up and no cracks or breaks on the shell.

uploadfromtaptalk1429306595692.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1429306692614.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1429306708130.jpg

If your still getting power to your camera stick the card back in and power up the phantom as I think the camera can sort out the video file with only cutting off around 20 sec of the end. Not sure if you can recover the last 20 seconds. It would be good to see small back up power source with in the camera to help save the the video in a crash.

If your still getting power to your camera stick the card back in and power up the phantom as I think the camera can sort out the video file with only cutting off around 20 sec of the end. Not sure if you can recover the last 20 seconds. It would be good to see small back up power source with in the camera to help save the the video in a crash.
Unfortunately the camera is completely dead. Tried a repair software I found on Google but no love.

I'm sure someone will answer that can help you out with it. Hopefully you find some good evidence of a malfunction to send to DJI.

I have the Flytrex log AND the log from The DJI Ultimate Flight app. Just not 100% sure how to analyze it!
If anyone here wants to look at the logs and tell me what ya see let me know. I'll be more than happy to send em to ya!

Unfortunately the camera is completely dead. Tried a repair software I found on Google but no love.

Don't need camera to work. You just need the gimbal board with the card to turn on. Stick your card back in and turn on and let it finalise.

Don't need camera to work. You just need the gimbal board with the card to turn on. Stick your card back in and turn on and let it finalise.

The camera/gimbal are completely dead. No power at all to it. I did still try but no luck.

Pull out the 3 grey cables that plug into the gimbal board. Check the pins, especially on the 4 pin-clip in. Insert firmly back in.

Use djifix.exe. to recover your corrupt video files.
I found this thread the other day and downloaded djifix.exe for Windows.

Here is the thread where you can read up on its capabilities and operation.

http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/bad-video-file-can-it-be-salvaged.33927/#post-316266
I was able to figure out the fix software and get the video to play. It's running in 2x speed but unfortunately the last few seconds are cut off! That's what I needed to see.

Overall I guess I got lucky! The only damage was the camera. Not even a broken prop. Considering it fell from about 240'!Not sure how the hell it landed but the camera took all the impact.

Sorry to hear of your crash AmosMoses. Sounds like you got pretty lucky as far as the bird itself goes. Hope you can recover enough data to find the cause.
Good luck.

Reactions: AmosMoses
Thanks IflyinWY.

Here's the video of the flight. Unfortunately the last 8 seconds or so are missing which is what we all wanted to see! Everything was going just perfect than BAM! lights out....

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Yep, like flicking a light switch... OFF

Reactions: AmosMoses
Brother I don't know how your bird stayed together !! You were lucky there !!!
It don't take it long to hit the ground from 240'..did ya watch it ?

Brother I don't know how your bird stayed together !! You were lucky there !!!
I don't take it long to hit the ground from 240'..did ya watch it ?

I didn’t see the actual impact because I was in the back of my house on the deck. It gave a quick sputter then the motors went quiet. You are 100% right. It sure does come down fast!! No time to do anything other than put a big eyed stupid look on your face and watch in awe……

I’ve been trying to figure out how it could have landed and I think it hit dead center on the neighbors split rail fence after falling through the small trees. I’ll have to go over tomorrow and look to see if there are any marks on the fence.

DJI had better cover this or I’m going to freak out! LOL!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31