Is it possible to format/erase the internal memory?

Reaction score
P3A DJI-GO
Having just downloaded all the .DAT files from the internal memory (4Gb+ - took over an hour!) I would like to erase them so I don't have such a big file in the future.

Is this possible? I cannot find an erase instruction anywhere.

I would like to erase them so I don't have such a big file in the future.
Why would you want to do that? The .dat files are rarely, if ever needed unless for a crash investigation. Your .device logs are just fine for everything else. When you have the .txt file you know which .dat you need anyway, so just download the one you need. Final note, once the internal memory is full, the older .dats will be overwritten with new files. I don't really see any advantage here.

Using a Mac I cannot just select the file I want, I have to download the whole folder, at the moment some 4Gb in size and it takes more than an hour.
My thinking is that if I delete all the files, reduce the overall size, it won't take so long.
I don't need any of the files on there now as I have the one pertaining to my recent crash.

My thinking is that if I delete all the files, reduce the overall size, it won't take so long.
Sounds to me like you are in a bit of a "Pickle" so to speak. Using a MAC is not the most effecient method for obtaining any of the flight data availble. Being the fact that CSV View for MAC's wont load .txt logs either. That is unfortunate. The only way that I have heard of erasing the files is to actually dissassemble the aircraft and remove the internal SD card. Unfortunately, unless someone else knows another way you are stuck with what you have.

Apparently it was an option in the GO program, just under the Flight Data Mode in the menu on the GO app. However, that has disappeared now, no longer there.

Oh well.....

I know what I wanted to ask you, how did you identify which .DAT file pertained the the .txt file I uploaded in the other thread please?

how did you identify which .DAT file pertained the the .txt file I uploaded in the other thread please?
That is what I was trying to explain to you. Since the MAC version will not load the .txt records you won't know unless you
ask someone to locate it for you. On a PC you get this:

TEXT LOG.PNG

Apparently it was an option in the GO program, just under the Flight Data Mode in the menu on the GO app. However, that has disappeared now, no longer there.
If that was ever true it was a long time ago.
The internal data recorder is there for DJI to investigate for warranty claims.
It's not something they want you tampering with - just like the black box in an airliner.

Using a Mac I cannot just select the file I want, I have to download the whole folder, at the moment some 4Gb in size and it takes more than an hour.
I don't need any of the files on there now as I have the one pertaining to my recent crash.
I'm sure you can use "iFunbox" to select files instead of whole folders, I used it in the past for PC to and from crApple mobile devices.

The software states for Windows and Mac.

iFunbox | the File and App Management Tool for iPhone, iPad & iPod Touch.

Took over an hour?
Yeah I bet. ;)
Did you have a fan on the beeping Phantom?

Anyways, to erase it?
I don't think so, deleting your flight logs from the app, yes. ;)

I'm glad you got to study your own dat files, I will ask you for help when I get that urge. :)

Rod

:D It'l take a few goes to get proficient at it but I love exercising my 80yo brain!!
I was talking to DJI yesterday about this deleting issue and I believe it IS possible.
We got so far into the method and something didn't happen that they said should, so they asked me uninstall and reinstall the GO app.
By the time I had done that their online chat had closed so I'll go back to them today now that I've done that .......

We got as far as - you press on the little "paper plane" top left corner of the home screen of the App......
IMG_6735.jpg

then this screen will appear.........

IMG_6733.jpg

press the cloud top right and you should get a window with the option to delete files but I didn't, I just got a "synchronising files" window....
IMG_6734.jpg

I'll get back to them today and finish this post........

Last edited:
If you press the gear icon to the far left, just above the growth of value, you can delete your flight logs only. It doesn’t delete the internal.dat files.

Reactions: Oso
Those are your flight logs that are on your mobile device, you can sync them to DJIs cloud, then if you change your mobile device or use more than one they can all be up to date.

Those are not what is saved on the Phantoms glued in SD card.

Actually besides your flights, every time the the Phantom is powered on a new .dat file is started. As stated that when the card is full, it erases the oldest, same way the black box in a car.

Addition, if use Litchi, those flights won't show up in the logs you are looking at. :)

Rod

I was talking to DJI yesterday about this deleting issue and I believe it IS possible.
We got so far into the method and something didn't happen that they said should, so they asked me uninstall and reinstall the GO app.
By the time I had done that their online chat had closed so I'll go back to them today now that I've done that .......

We got as far as - you press on the little "paper plane" top left corner of the home screen of the App......then this screen will appear.........press the cloud top right and you should get a window with the option to delete files but I didn't, I just got a "synchronising files" window....

I'll get back to them today and finish this post........
1. It's not possible
2. You got one of their confused and less-than-helpful phone "advice" people who is only spreading more confusion.
DJI - great drones, not so great phone people.
He's misunderstood you and is telling you how to delete the .txt files in your phone or tablet.
3. Why do you want to delete the internal data anyway?

My reason is that, when I had a mishap with my drone I wanted to look at the (far more than on the .txt file) information on the internal memory. Using a Mac one cannot directly access it (don't know if you can with a PC) and I had to create an "image" of the disk on my desktop. It took more than an hour to do and then I did have all the data files.
I was thinking that as the files are of no use, other than when one has an issue, if I deleted them as I go along it wouldn't take so long to access them, clear all the old files out.

Speaking with Drone Doctor engineers they confirm that on the P3A one cannot access the drive unless you dismantle the AC.

Have you already tried the method linked below? I don't have a Mac, but I've seen this method posted here on the forum and in the .dat file instructions.

Excellent Oso. Just had a go and worked a treat, uploaded a file etc. but one has to keep the drone connected and "on" to access the files, they take quite a while to upload but better than the one hour + the other way but you still cannot delete them, I don't think.

Reactions: RodPad
Answering the original question (I confess I didn't read all the answers, but have a feeling there is no answer):

You can clean the sd-card by software, not sure if by single files though. Also, the data will be recoverable unless are overwritten by another log.

I think the option to format that sd-card was in an old version of Dji Go. Not completely sure though, that was years ago.

What I am sure is that you can format it or do other stuff by sending proper command by yourself, using comm_serialtalk.

And to figure out specific command, you'd need to study Wireshark dissectors.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Many thanks quaddamage but must confess W A Y out of my capability and comfort zone.
The Terminal method of extracting files suggested by Oso worked well, much quicker than mirroring the whole memory card but still not able to delete the files.
Not going to go any further with this as it will only be used should the unfortunate happen!!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj