Is anyone actually happy with their P4P??

I had to have my first P4P replaced due connectivity issues. (I have had four other Phantoms over three years.) My replacement is a P4P+ which I really like though I have only test flown it a couple of times due weather. The integrated screen is great but it does change some features and settings options of the craft. And, of course there is no real manual on the new screen.

I am happy with my P4P+. The GO2 software and perhaps some bits of firmware are in need of improvement but, then, so am I.

Reactions: ATPhoto
im loving my p4p! the biggest issue so far is that the batteries run down, so ive ordered more...;)

Reactions: ATPhoto
My P4P is supposed to be here on Wednesday and I'm beginning to wonder if I made a mistake. There are so many threads dedicated to issues people are having I'm beginning to wonder if it's even worth getting.
Had mine for a month now. Flys great, but the video and the stills are insane. Granted the machine is very complex, and theres little minor twists and turns that I've figured out or learned to live with. Other than that, I'm enjoying the **** out of it. Word of advise, shoot stills and video in manual mode just like a DSLR and you'll get great results.

My P4 was a Christmas gift, the first one had a defective drone battery, it would do NOTHING, no lights, no nothing, with or without the charger connected. I spent literally two days trying to get ANYTHING out of DJI, what a total farce their customer service is. I finally took it back to Best Buy and they happily exchanged it for another P4, no questions asked. Next came another two days of trying to get the firmware in the drone updated, again DJI was no help whatsoever. All they said was to box it up and send it back, and they couldn't even give me an estimate as to how long they would keep it before sending it back. I finally figured out that the P4 is not Mac friendly and I have Mac computers. After 4 days of trying to speak to a real person, I was finally able to do that, after approximately 4.5 hours total on hold. He was clueless, but just as a last ditch effort he suggested trying a PC instead of the Mac for the firmware update, and that worked. I finally got it up and running, and am very happy with it, I just hope and pray that I never have to deal with DJI again. I wasted conservatively 20+ hours over a four day period either trying to live chat with them (hours and hours and hours waiting in line, only to be sent back to the bottom of the chat list) and when I finally did get someone, they made contact, read my question, and sent me (again) to the bottom of the chat list. Potential buyers be aware of their complete lack of customer service, if you can deal with that, I think it's probably a good product, although I only have a couple of hours on mine so far.

I LOVE mine... too many people post only negative comments. I had intermittent connection problems, couldn't link controller to drone... turned out to be a problem with memory in my tablet. Once I cleared up memory, all went well. No problems since. 36 flights 77 total miles flown

Reactions: snowwind168
Which do you find best to fly under. 5.8 or 2.4? I live in a small town and lots of countryside around me so I'm assuming that either one is ok. What are your thoughts on the matter?

Bud

The low signal strength complaints would all or most be cured if the user understood that they can select 2.4GHz.

You don't need a pic or mac to update... you can update it with the GO app.

My P4 was a Christmas gift, the first one had a defective drone battery, it would do NOTHING, no lights, no nothing, with or without the charger connected. I spent literally two days trying to get ANYTHING out of DJI, what a total farce their customer service is. I finally took it back to Best Buy and they happily exchanged it for another P4, no questions asked. Next came another two days of trying to get the firmware in the drone updated, again DJI was no help whatsoever. All they said was to box it up and send it back, and they couldn't even give me an estimate as to how long they would keep it before sending it back. I finally figured out that the P4 is not Mac friendly and I have Mac computers. After 4 days of trying to speak to a real person, I was finally able to do that, after approximately 4.5 hours total on hold. He was clueless, but just as a last ditch effort he suggested trying a PC instead of the Mac for the firmware update, and that worked. I finally got it up and running, and am very happy with it, I just hope and pray that I never have to deal with DJI again. I wasted conservatively 20+ hours over a four day period either trying to live chat with them (hours and hours and hours waiting in line, only to be sent back to the bottom of the chat list) and when I finally did get someone, they made contact, read my question, and sent me (again) to the bottom of the chat list. Potential buyers be aware of their complete lack of customer service, if you can deal with that, I think it's probably a good product, although I only have a couple of hours on mine so far.

Just to add one more positive comment about P4Pro, I love it. I come from the P3Pro (I still own it) and the camera is a big step ahead. The P3P need 6 month of firmware updates and trimming to go at the best condition about camera quality. The new Ambarella chip used by the Sony camera sensor has an incredible price/performance ratio. Just to clarify, DJI depends on ambarella library to implement video/photo compression and picture quality management. So when fixes come out from ambarella, DJI is quite fast to update firmware.
About 2.4 or 5.8 GHZ bands, they are both unfortunately dreadful, for different matters, but there isn't other choice or alternative due to international regulation. The best would be in the 800-900 mhz band, but this can't be used with so wide bandwidth for video.

As side note I must say that H.265 is not a really solution for the moment, but little by little software and hardware will support it natively and computation power needed to encode/decode it will be affordable for everyone. H265 can sport 50% more quality than H264 at same bitrate, but at the moment I don't see any plus in the output video from p4p.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

My P4P is supposed to be here on Wednesday and I'm beginning to wonder if I made a mistake. There are so many threads dedicated to issues people are having I'm beginning to wonder if it's even worth getting.
For whatever it's worth, I LOVE my P4P. I have a P4 and the Typhoon H pro as well. I have had no problems with my P4 from day one

My only gripe is that my P4P does seem to suffer from that buzzing fan issue other folks have noticed. An engineering and/or assembly issue I would assume, but it's not bad enough for me to even think about sending it back and I'm not brave enough yet to disassemble it to fix it myself.

Hey misterCB - this might come in handy when you get "brave enough" for a fix.

The fan case is only held by two screws (one on each corner) and the unsecured part is vibrating due to a resonance - you can see the fix in the photo is adding some foam under the opposite corners of the fan case/housing - buzzing sound gone!

114014tuf8f55857897lzp.jpg

113952dursrt53p7m7ugrp.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: azgeek
Very happy with my P4P+. Two flawless flights up to now. Very impressed with the speed, stability and with the brightness of the controller screen. Have not flown my Mavic since I've got the Phantom.

Have not flown my Mavic since I've got the Phantom.

Wow - that pretty well sums it up! When the Mavic was first announced some were actually "ridiculously" thinking and mentioning the Mavic will replace the Phantom!

Just got back from almost 2.5 hours of non-stop (other than battery swaps) practice. I was using the P4P controller with an iPhone 6 and did not have a single problem, other than RTH on a 5' Hoodman pad. It got to about 3 feet and then said the area was unsuitable for landing and to use the sticks to bring it down. Will try to see what this issue is if I can get that to repeat. I also was prompted for my first ever compass calibration which completed on the first attempt without any problems. Tried out Sport mode for the first time because I was in a wide open area. Fun to play around with but don't think I will ever use that very much for filming --- the angle of attack in that mode is pretty crazy. Also tried follow-me and POI modes. Follow me worked well, but I have some reading up to do on how to set the subject for POI. The bird circled just fine, but not around what I thought was the subject. Most likely user error. All-in-all very happy with the P4P (just not the + controller right now). :)

Last edited:
Reactions: photoskyview
My p4p was faulty and fell out of the sky and crashed into the roof of a car. I had to pay to have it fixed or I was told I would go to jail. Never bye one again :(

Newby... first drone P4P+ - great
Had a problem with my back sensor. But the support of DJI was really great. Helped me out immediately and fixed the problem for free. Have a lot of fun with the drone

I had a good experience with DJI support. I got my P4P+ in China Shanghai. I had a small problem with my back sensor. But the fixed it quickly and very quick.

I still have some mixed feelings:

- I've had 3 GPS losses in 34 flights where I had none with my P3 Pro in 278 flights. The P4 Pro was even blown away a bit by the wind in ATTI. Without sight it would have gone.

- The camera has better quality when there's no motion, no question. But in motion (even in slow) it shows visible ghosting/smearing effects that visible affects image resolution in UHD. I wonder why only few people complain about that. It's even visible on a Full HD screen and reported by several users.

- The codec, even H.264 is somewhat crappy. Both Premiere CC and EDIUS show very bad performance and even crash sometimes while editing. Rendering hardly is a problem.
I have many other cameras that operate in 4K/30p/100Mbps from other vendors (Sony, Panasonic) and none shows this problems with the files.

I am thrilled with mine. I upgraded from a p4 and it was well worth it.

Oh, how better is it? I have the P4 too... and considering an upgrade - I'm hesitating between the Mavic's portability and the 1 inch sensor of the P4P... What's your take on the differences between the P4 and the P4P?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor