Is anyone actually happy with their P4P??

Sure did, John. This is definitely a defective gimbal. I've tried every diagnostic I can to clear this issue up.
I had a DOA gimbal on my first drone a couple years ago, a Yuneec Q500. It happens. These gimbals are delicate devices, and it continues to amaze me how well they can work, when they are working right. I think there are still some firmware or IMU sensor bugs to maintain a level horizon. IMO DJI has some more work to resolve this problem that plagues pilots from time to time. I personally don't see it much, but it does crop up occasionally, kinda of annoying.

Reactions: AerialZ
I had a DOA gimbal on my first drone a couple years ago, a Yuneec Q500. It happens. These gimbals are delicate devices, and it continues to amaze me how well they can work, when they are working right. I think there are still some firmware or IMU sensor bugs to maintain a level horizon. IMO DJI has some more work to resolve this problem that plagues pilots from time to time. I personally don't see it much, but it does crop up occasionally, kinda of annoying.
Agreed. And it would not surprise me one bit if damage occurred during shipping. Seeing a corner punched on the outside of the outer shipping box was a clear sign this thing was tossed around in transit. These gimbals can take some stress, but they do not hold up to impacts (guard in place or not.) 1,000 things can go wrong after a significant impact, whether in the box or not.

very happy. but this is my 1st drone. I also dont seem to have the problems others are.
p4p+

A have an osmo plus I ordered from BH photo, first ever order with them. It's essentially DOA and not working properly. Tried to setup an RMA exchange and they said I have to work with some 3rd party vendor for DJI products... Not good service to me. In my experience dealing with a 3rd party only delays things. I'd also have to wait for return, wait for verifying/process return (5 days for this step according to them), before they finally ship a replacement. Also not very good. It means I might finally get my working item two or more weeks after I originally bought it.

I'd rather use amazon or Best Buy.
Look into Advexure. I received an Osmo that would not charge, and they sent me a new one without charging my credit card or waiting for me to return the defective one. Their customer service is excellent and I used them to purchase my P4P and Mavic. Some of the best customer support I've seen in recent memory. Highly recommended.

Reactions: Langstonius
Look into Advexure. I received an Osmo that would not charge, and they sent me a new one without charging my credit card or waiting for me to return the defective one. Their customer service is excellent and I used them to purchase my P4P and Mavic. Some of the best customer support I've seen in recent memory. Highly recommended.

This is likely the only thing i would change: going through DJI directly

Thanks this is the kind of service I like. If companies want to compete with big box they can't wait to ship out replacement for DOA.

I'm still waiting to hear back from the 3rd party company BH uses even though BH has emailed me several times today. :/

The low signal strength complaints would all or most be cured if the user understood that they can select 2.4GHz.

Would you elaborate on that a bit? I'm new to this and have a P4P on the way. Does 2.4GHz have a longer range? Is the transmitter more powerful? Should we change out the antennas?

Thanks.

Adding to the chorus, I'm very happy with mine. I have not experienced any serious issues on the 20 or so flights I was able to get in before the weather turned bad. This included a flight just under 2 miles away over multiple hills. Some minor issues like the file timestamp being wrong, and settings resetting themselves (even without a firmware update) but these are all minor and I expect them to be fixed eventually.

I agree with other posters that many issues are user/pilot error. As advanced as the P4P is it does not fly itself. There is a lot of technology involved and you need to fully understand how it all operates. This is my 4th Phantom (I've had one from each series, plus a Mavic), I have a lot of flying hours, yet I have still studied the manual many times. I even practiced with the flight simulator before my first P4P flight. In many ways it reminds me of learning how to 3D print: it took 6 months or so to really understand all the settings for a print and how they interact with the physical printing process. This is similar. Many people expect the process to be plug-and-play but it isn't yet.

Reactions: Blue Phantom
Someone said earlier you get 7 days to fly it around. I'd imagine if your not satisfied or it has issues you can get a replacement or give it back all together.
Anyone banking on this trial period should take a look over HERE
I wouldn't buy direct from DJI for exactly the reasons mentioned in that thread. If you're just not sure, buy it from a box store or some place with a rock-solid return policy. Well, unless you can live with those funds being tied-up for a considerable amount of time.

Read the answer here https://www.quora.com/Why-is-5Ghz-wifi-faster-than-2-4-GHz-wifi
*Im no radio expert but it seems the same principles will apply to our RC's using these frequencies.

The article is correct, but not all of this applies to the P4P. One item that does apply is that 5.7/5.8GHz will not carry as far as 2.4. It also does not penetrate walls/objects as well as 2.4. If you are going for distance, then 2.4 will be better in the nominal case. If you are in an area with a lot of 2.4 WiFi signals then this may not be true and 5Ghz may be more open. Also, ignore all the stuff about multiple signal paths, which apply to a MIMO router but not to the P4P.

What Sim did you use? Thanks.

The one built into DJI Assistant as well as the one in Go 4. It's limited, but useful as an overall operation orientation check.

The article is correct, but not all of this applies to the P4P. One item that does apply is that 5.7/5.8GHz will not carry as far as 2.4. It also does not penetrate walls/objects as well as 2.4. If you are going for distance, then 2.4 will be better in the nominal case. If you are in an area with a lot of 2.4 WiFi signals then this may not be true and 5Ghz may be more open. Also, ignore all the stuff about multiple signal paths, which apply to a MIMO router but not to the P4P.
The p4p has more power transmitting the 5.8. So effectively the p4p has the same distance max for 5.8 as 2.4 has. (28dbm vs 26dbm)

Reactions: sideburn
I am ecstatic with mine, it's amazing. It is my first drone, but I have lots of RC experience with cars/trucks from my childhood. My only gripe is that my P4P does seem to suffer from that buzzing fan issue other folks have noticed. An engineering and/or assembly issue I would assume, but it's not bad enough for me to even think about sending it back and I'm not brave enough yet to disassemble it to fix it myself.

I got one DOA P4 battery from an ebay purchase, but I sent it back and got refunded. The battery that came with the drone, the P4P battery I ordered from Advexure, and the P4 battery I got from Best Buy all have worked great.

Got 2 P4P+. Video freezes up on both. Talking about the vid feedback to the tx. Updated both including the TX. Have never had a prob with DJI except on these. Wish I had kelp my Mavic. But glad to see some people are having success. I'm sure dji will come out with a fix they always do.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Would you elaborate on that a bit? I'm new to this and have a P4P on the way. Does 2.4GHz have a longer range? Is the transmitter more powerful? Should we change out the antennas?

Thanks.
Common belief is 2.4Ghz will have better range and penetrate better (walls and trees) than 5.8Ghz. This is generally true in WiFi access point home applications that are using the same power output from both frequency bands. However the P4P does not use Wifi, it's using Lightbridge (with no TCP/IP protocol) technology in these same frequency bands. The various frequencies that DJI uses in the 2.4Ghz and 5.8Ghz band are also throttled for power output, for some strange unknown reason (FCC version in USA). P4P is disproving this common belief that expects 2.4Ghz to perform better. Most owners are reporting it's best to leave the GO4 app on "Auto" for channel selection. The reports say the app will indicate that it stays on the 5.8Ghz band most of the time. Reports indicate that if you select to use 2.4Ghz only, this will likely produce less range.

Reports are indicating the P4P range is so good while flying on "Auto" that an antenna mod wouldn't benefit you much because you don't have enough battery to support going any farther. However, I heard Itelite will be offering an antenna mod later this month, specific to the P4P frequency needs.

Last edited:
Received mine a couple of days ago and this is my first drone experience. Quite impressed about the system but having great problems to remove the batteries to the point that i am going to return the system. Tried a spare battery but have the same problem. Noticed that a sticker was glued inside the battery compartment. This might be the problem but unable to remove the sticker as i am still in the "return" period. For the rest, simple to set up and easy to fly. Sharpness is bit of hit and miss but assume that this related to operator issues.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT