Is <1500 foot fpv range normal in urban areas?

Reaction score
I've had a V+ V3.0 for 4 months now and through 40 flights I have never been able to get it above 1300 feet out from home point. Is this just a case of wifi interference from all the wifi in the area I usually fly?

Distance is affected by a lot of factors.
The major ones are how well the antennas are directed toward the Phantom and the geometry of the angles between you and the Phantom antennas.
Under some conditions it's hard to get more than 1500 feet while sometimes I've managed up to 3200 feet.
Try flying at different heights and angles.
Flying straight up is the trickiest angle to maintain good signal.

Have you thought about doing a modification to the transmitter and WiFi repeater. It's a pretty easy mod . I would definitely consider myself a novice at best when it comes to taking things apart and changing out a couple wires and I didn't have any trouble at all. I went from 1800' to over 5500' in a residential environment. I would definitely recommend the itelite DBS phantom antenna. For the price of less than 100 dollars and 45 minutes it's the way to go. I also have the fpvlr stage 2 antenna and it's double the price and only about an extra 300 feet in range. It has made flying even more fun and I didn't think that was possible. Good luck!!!

I have never been able to get it above 1300 feet out from home point. Is this just a case of wifi interference from all the wifi in the area I usually fly?

Yes. Area you fly in makes a big difference. A city park is only a block from my house but I can fly twice as far at the park than I can my house. At my house surrounded by many Wi-Fi I get about 600ft. The park is about 1/2 mile long and quarter mile wide, so I fly down the middle of it and get about 1600ft on average. With the the itelite DBS phantom antenna I went twice as far in both environments.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers