Is Weak Signal 400 Foot Directly Above Normal?

Reaction score
Hi

I had a bit of a bad landing last month. My drone hit the ground at speed and ended upside down. It seemed ok apart from a very minor crack on one leg, which I've sealed.

I am bit paranoid that I've done more damage to the drone however. I was flying it today, and on quite a few occasions when it was directly above my head at maximum legal height of 400 feet it reported 'weak signal,' and for a second 'lost signal.'

I know that there can be signal issues flying directly above due to the way the radio signals emanate from the antenna (perpendicular.) However, is it normal to get 'weak signal' only 400 above in area with no interference?

I have to add, I also managed to fly the Phantom, 386 metres (1266 feet) horizontally over a lake with no signal warnings (it did weaken though.) Does this maybe suggest that there is no antenna damage from the crash I had last month?

Thanks in advance.

The rc antenna is made to swivel so you can reorient it when necessary. When flying directly overhead, you should orient the antenna so that it is parallel to the ground for the best possible signal. I would also add you should reorient the wifi until so the flat surface is facing the Phantom.

Reactions: dronezone1010
While positioning the antennas properly will help, the signal directly above the remote controller is going to be weaker than when flying further away from the remote controller. Check out the following video for more details on getting the best signal:

Reactions: dronezone1010
Hi

Thanks for both responses. I was aware of the antenna alignment issue, and did make the recommended adjustments. However, I'm still left wondering even if my antenna alignment was a bit out, is it still normal to 'Lose RC Signal' at only 400 feet directly above my head?

I thought that the antenna alignment would only become a big issue, at much higher altitudes?

Thanks for both responses. I was aware of the antenna alignment issue, and did make the recommended adjustments. However, I'm still left wondering even if my antenna alignment was a bit out, is it still normal to 'Lose RC Signal' at only 400 feet directly above my head?
Optimum signal is maintained when the antennas of the controller and Phantom are facing each other and parallel.
Putting the Phantom straight up is the worst possible angle for good signal as there is no way to have the antennas aligned properly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav