Phantom 4 Pro v2.0 Range is awful

It depends on which band the cell is on. The further from 2.4GHz, the better the separation from interference. For instance, Verizon uses band 13, which is LTE 700MHz. That would be less of a problem than Sprint, using 1.9GHz. Also, cellular transmissions are much more powerful than Wi-Fi, as they must travel miles to reach a tower. Wi-Fi is limited to about 300' on average.
The stronger the out-of-band signal is, the more likely it will swamp the receiver on a different band that is not far removed from the interfering equipment's band.

It depends on which band the cell is on. The further from 2.4GHz, the better the separation from interference. For instance, Verizon uses band 13, which is LTE 700MHz. That would be less of a problem than Sprint, using 1.9GHz. Also, cellular transmissions are much more powerful than Wi-Fi, as they must travel miles to reach a tower. Wi-Fi is limited to about 300' on average.
The stronger the out-of-band signal is, the more likely it will swamp the receiver on a different band that is not far removed from the interfering equipment's band.
I fly around cell towers all the time, never had a problem.

Me as well, but there's this one soccer field that's near a tower, and since the firmware upgrade, have been having fatal aircraft disconnects when the Phantom is at close range. It's only happened at that location and there's a tower about 500' away from our practice area.

Me as well, but there's this one soccer field that's near a tower, and since the firmware upgrade, have been having fatal aircraft disconnects when the Phantom is at close range. It's only happened at that location and there's a tower about 500' away from our practice area.
I would tend to blame the firmware update if it hasn't done that before at that location. Firmware/app updates will changes your settings. Try flying 5.8 AUTO. Make sure you have WiFI TURNED OFF on your iPad/Android device.

BTW, if you get your firmware/app to work, good enough to be happy, stop upgrading. Turn off auto update on your tablet apps, and freeze the setup. Decline all firmware update suggestions. You won't get surprised that way and you'll have a more consistent experience.

Reactions: SdA
I'm not sure how long the AC will be allowed to fly without a firmware update, and it sure nags every time you start up. DJI might make it mandatory at some point. I usually wait a few weeks to a month to see how others are receiving the new update and how well it works before I update. I didn't hear any horror stories, so I concluded that there was no downside, and a few bugs fixed.

But yes, it's consistent when I fly in close range.

The times when I stream flights live on the internet, I'm using both Wi-Fi and cellular data and have not had a disconnect. In those instances, the AC was up to a mile away and the flights were longer, manual flights.

Both disconnects were at close range, no Wi-Fi streaming, and while hovering as we were setting up the Tracking feature in IFM.

The disturbing part is that it is impossible to reestablish contact with the AC, except by landing and powering down all three devices.

I'm not sure how long the AC will be allowed to fly without a firmware update, and it sure nags every time you start up. DJI might make it mandatory at some point. I usually wait a few weeks to a month to see how others are receiving the new update and how well it works before I update. I didn't hear any horror stories, so I concluded that there was no downside, and a few bugs fixed.

But yes, it's consistent when I fly in close range.

The times when I stream flights live on the internet, I'm using both Wi-Fi and cellular data and have not had a disconnect. In those instances, the AC was up to a mile away and the flights were longer, manual flights.

Both disconnects were at close range, no Wi-Fi streaming, and while hovering as we were setting up the Tracking feature in IFM.

The disturbing part is that it is impossible to reestablish contact with the AC, except by landing and powering down all three devices.
When the WiFi is connected to an access point you won't have a problem. But when the WiFi is on and NOT connected to an access point the WiFi will hunt for a connection endlessly on all channels and ruin the craft video connection in the process, because it's so close with rogue 2.4ghz signals.
It's is a hassle refusing all requests from DJI to update, but don't do it and you'll be better off IMO, no surprises.

Reactions: SdA and Basspig
When the WiFi is connected to an access point you won't have a problem. But when the WiFi is on and NOT connected to an access point the WiFi will hunt for a connection endlessly on all channels and ruin the craft video connection in the process, because it's so close with rogue 2.4ghz signals.
It's is a hassle refusing all requests from DJI to update, but don't do it and you'll be better off IMO, no surprises.

That makes sense. Like a cell with no service, it will ping up and down the band looking for service. Makes sense. I'll try airplane mode or just turn off the phone's and the Crystal Sky's wi-fi and see if that helps.

That makes sense. Like a cell with no service, it will ping up and down the band looking for service. Makes sense. I'll try airplane mode or just turn off the phone's and the Crystal Sky's wi-fi and see if that helps.
Optionally you can fly with 5.8Ghz AUTO. That band doesn't seem to exhibit the problem if you inadvertently leave your tablet WiFi on.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers