ipad 2mini wifi .....what do i need to know ?

Reaction score
just bought an ipad 2mini 32gb wifi only to replace my iphone on the p3s
-from what ive read, i need to cache maps before i fly?( will need to do more reading on how)
- wont be able to reset homepoint if i change location ? not sure if i fully understand that .
-follow me mode wont work.

anything else i should be aware of ? i do have a plan to mount the ipad that doesnt involve drilling or other mods to the rc.

just bought an ipad 2mini 32gb wifi only to replace my iphone on the p3s
-from what ive read, i need to cache maps before i fly?( will need to do more reading on how)
Yes you have to cache them prior to your flight (at home from the wifi, or in the field from you phone's temporay hot spot wifi). This is because your mini 2 doesn't have the Cell service, so you won't be able to acces the maps by means of mini 2's own capabilities.
See this pic, showing the enabled background map caching

IMG_0426+.JPG
Procedure is simple, while connected to wifi, open DJI Go app and maximise the map window. Then slide to the area where you intend to fly. Then zoom it at maximum to have as much a possible terrain details.Slide the map in all 4 directions of the screen, to make sure the map is covering completely your flight area.

- wont be able to reset homepoint if i change location ? not sure if i fully understand that .
Unfortunately not, again because the no-cell mini 2 version automatically doesn't have neither a GPS. Reseting the home point based on your new RC position needs your Lat/Long coordinates, that the no-cell mini 2 cannot provide.

-follow me mode wont work.
No, due to the same reason. The bird is actually following the GPS position of the tablet attached to the RC. Since your tablet doesn't have the GPS module, it cannot instruct the bird what to follow. The bird will may go home just to its own position at take-off point.

anything else i should be aware of ?
As you can see in my signature, I use too an iPad mini2 (but with Cell service). Be prepared to notice the mini 2 lacks in delivering acceptable brigtness levels in sunny days, so if you wish to step fwd in terms of your confort, buy the HDMI module and some googles (image no less than 720p because all below resolution 480p / 360p offer you a blurry image)

i do have a plan to mount the ipad that doesnt involve drilling or other mods to the rc.
you don't have to drill the RC in order to mount the mini 2

See my answers inside your quote.

I just got a used iPad mini 2 for my new P3S (wi-fi only). The iPad is connected to my Phantom using wifi

I tried tethering it to my Android smartphone using Bluetooth hotspot. When I just use the hotspot tethering outside of the DJI Go app, everything works as expected (i.e. data flows thru Bluetooth)

If I launch the DJI GO app, it loses connection to the P3S partially. I can see the video, but there no other connectivity with the P3S (i.e. can't see battery status, change settings, etc). As soon as I turn off Bluetooth, the connection gets restored.

It looks as if Bluetooth hotspot tethering somehow prevents a proper wifi connection to the P3S

What am I doing wrong?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj