Do I get an ipad mini 4 with cellular unlocked or wifi only?

Reaction score
I want to buy an ipad mini 4 to fly my dji 3 pro using the Go app or possibly Litchi. I asked this before, but I was flying a standard 3 then. I've upgraded now to a pro 3. Do I need cellular or is wifi alone on the ipad mini 4 enough? Ive read the other threads, but found none that speak specifically to the 3 pro and ipad 4 mini. So, asking just to be sure. Im far from a techie. Thanks.

Reactions: bstanton89
I want to buy an ipad mini 4 to fly my dji 3 pro using the Go app or possibly Litchi. I asked this before, but I was flying a standard 3 then. I've upgraded now to a pro 3. Do I need cellular or is wifi alone on the ipad mini 4 enough? Ive read the other threads, but found none that speak specifically to the 3 pro and ipad 4 mini. So, asking just to be sure. Im far from a techie. Thanks.
Either cellular enabled version or a wifi only version will work well, but there are a few optional features you can't use with the wifi only version.

Read through this post for much more detailed info on the different features that work and don't work based on different scenarios.

Last edited:
Do I need cellular or is wifi alone on the ipad mini 4 enough?
A Wi-Fi only device will work just fine if you don't want to use the Follow Me flight mode or need to reset the home point to your current location after taking off (could be helpful if you fly in scenarios where you must move away from the takeoff point).

Thanks. Great advice and great links. Follow up: if I get wifi only, can I tether it to my iphone for gps?

Thanks. Great advice and great links. Follow up: if I get wifi only, can I tether it to my iphone for gps?
No. Tethering does not share the phone's GPS.
Read through this post which answers that exact question and explains options for external GPS should you choose to go that route.

Also, if you are interested click here for some tips that I often share with new P3A/P3P owners.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Last edited:
What is it you are wanting GPS from the phone for?
The Phantom has it's own GPS receiver that it uses for all flight functions.
The only limitations of using a non-GPS iPad are that you won't be able to do follow-me flight or reset the home point to the current location of the controller - which you would only use if flying from a moving boat or car etc.

What is it you are wanting GPS from the phone for?
The Phantom has it's own GPS receiver that it uses for all flight functions.
The only limitations of using a non-GPS iPad are that you won't be able to do follow-me flight or reset the home point to the current location of the controller - which you would only use if flying from a moving boat or car etc.
Can you still see your GPS maps?( Where you are etc)

Can you still see your GPS maps?( Where you are etc)
The maps aren't "GPS maps", they are just maps and the app displays the recorded homepoint and drone locations on the maps.
These locations come from the GPS unit in the Phantom.
As I said earlier ... The only limitations of using a non-GPS iPad are that you won't be able to do follow-me flight or reset the home point to the current location of the controller - which you would only use if flying from a moving boat or car etc.
Those are the only functions which require a GPS receiver in your tablet.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl