iOS Ground Station on Phantom 2

Anticipate said:
Everyone: The current GS app for iPad won't work with the latest BTU FW. So if you update your P2 but do not update the BTU you can use the current app. (I tested this, like others, seems to work ok. I flew waypoints ok, TX at the ready in case). I read (but obviously did not test) that if you update the BTU today, you can't use the current app but need to wait for the new one, presumably coming next week.

As far as the question about the USB cord needed to update the transmitter, it's the same one you use for the P2. It is indeed, in the P2 box.

Yes Aniticpate, I guessed this yesterday and unfortunately the rule follower in me upgraded the BTU before I tried it. So when yours is working is your BTU green light solid or flashing?

Thanks!

Anticipate said:
As far as the question about the USB cord needed to update the transmitter, it's the same one you use for the P2. It is indeed, in the P2 box.
Thank you for that info! I even just watched a few P2 unboxings on YouTube trying to figure out if a data cable comes with it. Perhaps I lost the one that came with my unit. Yes, that's certainly possible. No wonder I rushed to blame DJI though, as they've dutifully earned my doubts. I know DJI definitely sells things that don't work yet, but I can admit that the missing cord thing might just be my own fault.
Off to acquire a new data cord. Thanks again.

Anticipate said:
Everyone: The current GS app for iPad won't work with the latest BTU FW. So if you update your P2 but do not update the BTU you can use the current app. (I tested this, like others, seems to work ok. I flew waypoints ok, TX at the ready in case). I read (but obviously did not test) that if you update the BTU today, you can't use the current app but need to wait for the new one, presumably coming next week.

Does anybody know if that holds true for the existing Assistant settings app as well, or just for the GS app?

I have a P2, not yet upgraded this week, a GS and its software that have been sitting in their box for a couple months now, and am PC-based. I gather from various threads this week that:
1) The PC version of GS software can talk to the ground unit. Yes, UI is clunky, circa late 90's, but it works?
2) DJI server issues are behind us, and several folks have upgraded their Assistant and P2 firmware to the latest version.
3) While the latest P2 firmware version still has compass problem, and perhaps disappointing in other ways, there are no known regressions at this point?
4) If one were to upgrade to the latest P2 firmware, install GS on PC, and take it through its paces, there are no known issues at this point with that plan. Some folks have successfully flown waypoints with their P2 from presumably PC-based GS software?
5) Independent of GS functionality or lack thereof, geofence features in latest software/firmware seem to be working.
6) If update to latest P2 and Assistant and run into problems, I can downgrade to 1.8 or whatever the current version was as of last week.
7) If I end up becoming a GS test pilot, having my Futaba 14SGH on hand allows me to take control of my P2 just in case HAL decides to close the pod bay doors on me.

Appreciate anyone speaking up if the above summary is not accurate as of today, based on the collective tribal knowledge and experiences this week.

Gracias,
Kelly

I have installed all latest software and have been happily test flying it around from the ipad, no problems

I only problem I have had is the version 2 Phantom update stopped my Gimbal working, a update on the controller through RC Assistant and recalibration in RC Assistant and Phantom Assistant and all is working again.

I have now flown it for around 2 hours with the different Waypoints, Triangle, Circle, up and down, and single, moved in to and from the standard RC

I have had the Bluetooth Ground Station disconnect a few times, from the Ipad, but it appears to carry on with the Waypoints, and you just reconnect it, I am not sure if that's me to near the Bluetooth (DJI Suggest not within 1.5M) or the Griffin Survivor case I have installed on it

Simon

Anticipate said:

Can I backout the BTU upgrade and go back to the old firmware so I can use the GS app?

simon3000gt said:
I have installed all latest software and have been happily test flying it around from the ipad, no problems

I only problem I have had is the version 2 Phantom update stopped my Gimbal working, a update on the controller through RC Assistant and recalibration in RC Assistant and Phantom Assistant and all is working again.

I have now flown it for around 2 hours with the different Waypoints, Triangle, Circle, up and down, and single, moved in to and from the standard RC

I have had the Bluetooth Ground Station disconnect a few times, from the Ipad, but it appears to carry on with the Waypoints, and you just reconnect it, I am not sure if that's me to near the Bluetooth (DJI Suggest not within 1.5M) or the Griffin Survivor case I have installed on it

Simon

Congrats Simon. That sounds like the most successful report of the week. Maybe one of you GS pioneers can post a video from on-board and/or the ground of a P2 flying a small course, demonstrating takeoff, landing, and various waypoint turn modes.

Kelly

I just flew with waypoints on the PC Ground STATION and it was a blast! Perhaps not as easy to point and click as an iPad, but it sure did work. Very cool!

And I lied about my BTU. It is solid green when the P2 is off. It is also solid green when it is plugged into the main CAN-Bus on the landing leg of the P2, but it blinks green if attached to the CAN-bus hub or the one on the mini iOSD? Can't find a pattern here.

I guess I will wait for the iPad App update "this coming week".....

Congrats TX. That sounds like a blast.

Just skimmed the GS manual to make sure it doesn't appear to have this bitchin' capability: learning mode. Let me hand fly a route, and GS will record it, then in post production GS and I could simplify the recorded route to a limited number of waypoints, converting nearly straight lines into straight lines, adapting curve types, tuning timing, camera orientation, etc. Once I've taught "HAL" my favorite route, he flies it clean, records it again, and we continue to refine it in post until it's just right.

Kelly

DKDarkness said:
Does the controls include camera pitch control? I know the instinct is to say "NO!" but it is after all just another Tx input / NAZA-M output?

Current version does not, but many are hoping X1 control is included in the upcoming iApp.

what is the maximum speed of the phantom 2?
I assume those with iosd would know in meters/second.

given that number and considering battery capacity, how far can the phantom 2 go in 10 minutes assuming a battery life of 20 minutes? (need to save battery to comeback)

I'd like to know how far i can possibly fly BVR.

Top speed for continuous use would be around 18-20m/s and that's pushing it. 20min wouldn't be possible with anything but an empty P2.
Furthest you could probably go is 7km and still get back. At those numbers, in theory with an empty bird, you could make it to 10.8-12km and still get back but you'd have to be in something on the ground to keep in contact with it. Control range is around 5km with stock radio and I've heard less with the DS.

Still wondering about rolling back the firmware on the BT... anyone?

Some have asked what the status of the BTU light was when I was able to use the P2 with the GS. It's flashing green when connected (the BTU and one of the lights on the airside as well blinks green). It's BT low energy, so you don't need to pair the iPad with it. The app pairs itself.

Just to clarify - did not update BTU FW, air tx and ground receiver were already up to date, updated P2 to V2.0 FW, and running the latest GS app for iPad works. I suspect when the next version of GS drops next week (with it's no-fly zones, waypoint recording, etc.), the BTU will have to be updated to the latest version that was released along with the P2 2.0 FW.

I flew a successful mission again today, about 3000m worth in one flight. The data link was dropped at about 800m out (horizontally... it was 133m high). On the iPad, nothing showed... it was like I never started a flight. On my FPV (avl-58 w/iOSD mini) however, which I could still see fine, the P2 was still flying the waypoint program. And the iOSD still reported GPS mode (presumably from the tx I had on and on standby). I did not flick the transmitter to regain control and kept watching. Sure enough, even with no data link signal, the P2 kept following the program and then reacquired signal on the iPad about 300m away from home point.

All in all it's quite nice. Doesn't have the range of the tx or FPV, but it will retain the program when it loses connection and keep flying.

I can't possibly see how people can use the GS alone. It's dangerous if it loses connection, as the P2 keeps moving along but you have no idea what it is doing if it's BVR. I plan to use the GS with my TX around my neck ready to go, and FPV beaming back what is going on. I can also aim the camera tilt that way as it flies; it doesn't stop the mission from running.

There's also the caveat that if you don't set your starting waypoint close, or all your waypoints at the same height, you risk crashing into something. The GS will ramp up or down to flight altitudes you specify as it travels between waypoints. It doesn't go to one height, then travel to the next and rise up. This makes sense if you think about it (you can get some neat altitude transitions this way), but can be disconcerting if you aren't careful with your programming. On my first flight I took off and set a starting waypoint close by but near trees at 100m. It stared booking over to that spot after takeoff, rising to 100m on the way, and neatly hit the trees! Lesson learned.

By the way, I also noticed a few other things: yaw wobble was similar to the last FW, but the P2 seems more stable now. I don't have to correct it as I used to have to when it first goes up to 'get it to settle'. It just goes up rock solid. Even in 15-20mph winds.

I also noticed that Go Home lands at 4m/sec. As I recall it used to be much slower, like 1.5m/sec. Manual down stick still maxes out at 3m/sec.

OI Photography said:
Anticipate said:

Does anybody know if that holds true for the existing Assistant settings app as well, or just for the GS app?

Good question I will have to try that...

mcmax20 said:
Top speed for continuous use would be around 18-20m/s and that's pushing it. 20min wouldn't be possible with anything but an empty P2.
Furthest you could probably go is 7km and still get back. At those numbers, in theory with an empty bird, you could make it to 10.8-12km and still get back but you'd have to be in something on the ground to keep in contact with it. Control range is around 5km with stock radio and I've heard less with the DS.

Still wondering about rolling back the firmware on the BT... anyone?

With a stock radio, I have been able to go no more than say, 1300m out without it turning home. That's moving at about 10m/sec. I get about 17 min total flight time going down to 25% battery with the P2, H23D, GoPro, a Garmin GPS tracker, iOSD Mini, and avl58 tx attached with antenna - at 45 degrees F air temp. Minus one min if you add the data link on top of that.

I don't think anything more than say 2000m is possible and still get it back home, and that's assuming you could keep a radio link to it which you can't at that distance with a stock Tx, as far as I know.

Pootoo said:
what is the maximum speed of the phantom 2?
I assume those with iosd would know in meters/second.

given that number and considering battery capacity, how far can the phantom 2 go in 10 minutes assuming a battery life of 20 minutes? (need to save battery to comeback)

I'd like to know how far i can possibly fly BVR.

The simulator in the app estimates flight time based on waypoint locations, altitude and speed. Obviously it would not be able to take into account effects of wind speed though.

can anyone that has the app working, in flight or sim mode tell me if it displays the aircraft's current position with latitude and longitude? Also-does it display the aircraft's altitude? Is it height above the take-off point-like what's displayed on the current iOSD mini?(useless).
Is it possible to import Terrain maps?

Also-note to DJI; hire someone to upgrade this software into the 21st century, for PC!! It's not that difficult. Need X1 enabled, so we can tilt the camera, with this GS. And, while you're at it, tell us the number of degree's the camera is tilted, in relation to the true horizon. I'd also like the ability to program a latitude/longitude point, tell the aircraft to tilt the camera 30 degree's from the horizon, hold that position for 10 seconds, then return the camera to 0 degree(straight ahead), fly to the next point, and repeat.

Just having the ability to see the current lat/long, and enter a waypoint that way, could save lives!!! You see, I live in a smallish town, on a Lake/River, that is surrounded by mountains and desert. people like to hike/drive into those area. Sometimes they get hurt, or break down. It can take hours, to get a helicopter here(we have 1 at the Hospital-I used to fly it, and we normally didn't do "search and rescue"), to find these people. However, with a P2 and this GS and camera, you can climb up to 1000? feet, and have a quick look around.
If you spot something, you can fly over and take a look-if you find them, you can "mark" that position. Then the rescue team can enter that into their GPS, and get to them with their all terrain vehicles.

This lat/long ability also has a lot of scientific and agricultural benefits. But, it has to be repeatable, to a certain degree of accuracy. 2.5M is enough accuracy, if you know that's the margin of error.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing