iOS Ground Station on Phantom 2

Ksc

Reaction score
For all those who have purchased a Phantom 2 and ground station and are wondering why it is not working. It requires a firmware update that DJI has not made public yet.

Please be aware that your ground station is not broken. When you connect the air end to your phantom 2 and the BTU to your ground end, nothing will happen. The bluetooth device will have a red light but you will not be able to connect it to your iPad. This is not a problem. This is ok. Nothing will happen with your ground station until you update to the newest firmware (which is not out yet).

For those of you who are thinking about purchasing the ground station, this is what you need: http://1uas.com/DJI-IOS-Ground-Station- ... %20station

The above package also includes a mini iosd (and can bus hub which you will not need but should save for the future in case, never know) and if you already have this or do not need this, you can purchase this instead: http://1uas.com/2-4Ghz-Bluetooth-Data-L ... S%20ground

If you wish to connect everything in advance, you will connect the ground station air end directly to the can bus port on the leg. If you are using the mini iosd, you will connect the iosd to the can bus port and then connect the ground station air end to the can bus port on the mini iosd. The ground end is easy, connect the BTU to the can bus port on the ground end and connect the power connector to your power source. Most people wire it to a spare phantom battery but you can pick any sort of 12V power source that you wish. This is all you need to do.

Once the firmware update has been completed (once again this firmware is not available yet) you will update your phantom and the BTU will change from a red light to a green light. You will then be able to connect your iPad to the ground station and fly with waypoints. Until then your BTU will have a red light and it will not be detectable on your iPad.

Just relax and get used to flying the phantom with the TX. Get an understanding for heights, distances, and nose angle. A solid knowledge will help you fly better when you use the ground station.

Attachments

• dji-phantom-2-big004.jpg
    dji-phantom-2-big004.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 12,775
Thanks Ksc again for your leadership on this topic here and other places!

I am excited about iPad Ground Station for my P2 soon.

Do you know anything about what appears to be the dumbed-down version of iPad Ground Station for the iPhone for our Phantom 2 VISIONs also coming soon? It appears no new hardware required for this one and the communications getting to the P2V through the same wifi connection/extender used to talk to the camera?

I don't know anything about the Vision ground station. I am under the same impression as you are. The ground station will work through the vision app. I believe it will be an extremely dumbed down version if that is the case. I honestly don't know how they could achieve this. I have a feeling that the reason we don't have the firmware for the P2 yet is because they are working on the vision firmware at the same time and will unleash them together.

I personally think the ground station for the vision will need to be controlled on an iPad. http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/5/527789 ... e-canon-5d
if you look at the picture in the link above, an iPad sits on the table next to the vision and P2. We will probably know more about the ground station tomorrow.

The world is unfair. No such thing as equals. But I would think they would bring it to other platforms. Just a question of when.

So once all the new firmware is released what will I need besides my Phantom 2 Vision and iPad Air?

What I have on the right back leg looks like this

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 12,099
You have a vision so I think your ground station is going to be different. I suspect it will be incorporated into the vision software. Don't quote me though but thats a thought.

I just purchased the "DJI 2.4G Bluetooth(R) datalink" for my phantom 2. are we still waiting for this firmware or is it out yet, and if it is out how would I go about installing this firmware?

so, when the firmware is released, what is the process for preparing the data link for my ipad? I downloaded the "2.4G Bluetooth DataLink Installer" I'm guessing I will be uploading the firmware through this?

Ksc said:
If you wish to connect everything in advance, you will connect the ground station air end directly to the can bus port on the leg. If you are using the mini iosd, you will connect the iosd to the can bus port and then connect the ground station air end to the can bus port on the mini iosd. The ground end is easy, connect the BTU to the can bus port on the ground end and connect the power connector to your power source. Most people wire it to a spare phantom battery but you can pick any sort of 12V power source that you wish. This is all you need to do.

Once the firmware update has been completed (once again this firmware is not available yet) you will update your phantom and the BTU will change from a red light to a green light. You will then be able to connect your iPad to the ground station and fly with waypoints. Until then your BTU will have a red light and it will not be detectable on your iPad.

Just relax and get used to flying the phantom with the TX. Get an understanding for heights, distances, and nose angle. A solid knowledge will help you fly better when you use the ground station.

Thanks for the xcellent post....wd you mind posting a picture of your layout on the underside of the P2. I'll be installing avl58, iosd mini and the data link stuff and am curious how to lay them out neatly.

Ksc said:
If you are using the mini iosd, you will connect the iosd to the can bus port and then connect the ground station air end to the can bus port on the mini iosd.

Has this been shown to work? I ask as this is the way i'd like to rig mine up...
Thanks.

I am wondering what the difference is between the Phantom 2 with NAZA-M V2 and the NAZA-M V2 equipped F550 that I built. I installed the GS and Datalink in the F550 and it works great, both with the iPad and also with a computer. I have not tried it in the P2.

rmklaw said:
I am wondering what the difference is between the Phantom 2 with NAZA-M V2 and the NAZA-M V2 equipped F550 that I built. I installed the GS and Datalink in the F550 and it works great, both with the iPad and also with a computer. I have not tried it in the P2.

The P2 doesn't have a Naza-M V2. It has a Naza built specifically for it and the new battery.

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/attac ... om%202.jpg

xpower180 said:
Ksc said:
If you are using the mini iosd, you will connect the iosd to the can bus port and then connect the ground station air end to the can bus port on the mini iosd.

Has this been shown to work? I ask as this is the way i'd like to rig mine up...
Thanks.

Its how I had mine rigged on the 450. Until we have a firmware update, we don't know for sure.

skavan said:
Thanks for the xcellent post....wd you mind posting a picture of your layout on the underside of the P2. I'll be installing avl58, iosd mini and the data link stuff and am curious how to lay them out neatly.

I went with the newer immersionrc setup over the older avl58. You can install yours two ways.

You can put it under the mini iosd in this picture: http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/attac ... 7134-1.jpg

Or you can put it on top of the avl58 and put the avl58 on its side: http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/attac ... 150750.jpg
http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/attac ... 150642.jpg

It depends on how you want to lay everything out. You can also put the iosd on the leg and the ground station next to the avl58 on the belly

moveease said:
so, when the firmware is released, what is the process for preparing the data link for my ipad? I downloaded the "2.4G Bluetooth DataLink Installer" I'm guessing I will be uploading the firmware through this?

you just need to download the iPad software. I'm not sure if the data link will require an update or if the phantom is the one that requires the update. good question.

Just a question that I was hoping somebody could help with. I have just ordered P2 with Ground Station etc. my iPad is wifi/Bluetooth but not 'air'. Will Ground Station work if I hook my iPad up to my iPhone as a wireless hotspot?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl