iOS Ground Station on Phantom 2

Zippy1144 said:
OI Photography said:
Zippy1144 said:
6. There seems to be no current documentation for the Phantom/iPad GS.

Have you seen this? http://download.dji-innovations.com/dow ... .10_en.pdf

It doesn't specifically say it's for the Phantom, but it works the same on any NAZA it's compatible with.
Thank you for the link. Indeed, I have read it and the new app has an overlay that shows where the buttons are. But I haven't been able to find the auto-takeoff that has been alluded to in the PC version.

Ah, I see. In the PC version you just click "go" from the mission editor...I haven't messed with the iPad interface. I know it does have the one-button takeoff available (like described at the top of page 5 in that pdf), but I don't know about initiating missions that way.

Ah, I see. In the PC version you just click "go" from the mission editor...I haven't messed with the iPad interface. I know it does have the one-button takeoff available (like described at the top of page 5 in that pdf), but I don't know about initiating missions that way.

On the iPad GS app, you just click on the circular Attitude Indicator in the bottom middle of the screen for one button takeoff.

Here are a couple of photos from a waypoint test flight I did today. I lost contact once and as you can see I wasn't very far away.
iPadScreenshot_main.jpg

This is a closeup of the power levels. Not great considering the distance and clear view.
iPadScreenshot_Satellites.jpg

I think the problem may be my underpowered usb battery output. I see that DJI recommends 9-20 volt...I discovered my output is only 5 volts.

havasuphoto said:
standard usb is 5 volts. I thought i saw a plug for the PC that had 2 USB plugs on it-so that would be 10 volts.

Other options - connect a 3S Lipo to the supplied DC power lead or use a rechargeable USB Battery Pack (used for charging phones etc)

havasuphoto said:
standard usb is 5 volts. I thought i saw a plug for the PC that had 2 USB plugs on it-so that would be 10 volts.
Yes. This power plug has 2 usb plugins so and the ground station has 2 plug ins so I'll try that. Thanks guys.

Zippy1144 said:
This is a closeup of the power levels. Not great considering the distance and clear view.
iPadScreenshot_Satellites.jpg

Where do you have the BTU mounted? The signal strength you circled shows the connection between that and your iPad, has nothing to do with the connection to the Data Link on the Phantom.

I just put it on my backpack to keep it off the ground. Maybe I need to be more careful about getting too far away from the module. I did find the levels went up when I increased the voltage.

Zippy1144 said:
I just put it on my backpack to keep it off the ground. Maybe I need to be more careful about getting too far away from the module. I did find the levels went up when I increased the voltage.

Cool, how much power are you feeding it now?

crawf57 said:
havasuphoto said:

Other options - connect a 3S Lipo to the supplied DC power lead or use a rechargeable USB Battery Pack (used for charging phones etc)

I am using for my GS. It's usb power pack from radio shack. I like things that pull double duty. I can use this to power my gopro for timelapse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OI Photography said:
Zippy1144 said:

Cool, how much power are you feeding it now?
10 volts.

Did some GS tests today. Previously I had powered it with a USB power pack (10V total) and was losing connection at around 700-800m out and re-connecting somewhere around 200m out but sometimes not at all. This time I decided to use the 12V 26,000mAh power pack I have to see if it would make a difference.

One mission I set up was 6500m in total with a max distance of 1580m out. With it connected to 12V I did not lose connection at all even though there were a few spots where trees interfered with the FPV a bit.
I had another mission that went around behind me through many trees to a place where I had no FPV, Tx, or GS connection (there was also a wooden building in the way). When the P2 was coming back from behind the bush the iPad actually reconnected before I even had a good FPV picture, this was at about 950m away. Overall I'm very happy with how GS functions on 12V (I won't be using USB again), although I would still like to set up a good POI mission. All I can do right now is get the camera to turn towards the object at each waypoint and then carry on - not the effect I'm going for...it should keep the camera pointed and fly sideways the whole way right?

mcmax20 said:
Did some GS tests today. Previously I had powered it with a USB power pack (10V total) and was losing connection at around 700-800m out and re-connecting somewhere around 200m out but sometimes not at all. This time I decided to use the 12V 26,000mAh power pack I have to see if it would make a difference.

One mission I set up was 6500m in total with a max distance of 1580m out. With it connected to 12V I did not lose connection at all even though there were a few spots where trees interfered with the FPV a bit.
I had another mission that went around behind me through many trees to a place where I had no FPV, Tx, or GS connection (there was also a wooden building in the way). When the P2 was coming back from behind the bush the iPad actually reconnected before I even had a good FPV picture, this was at about 950m away. Overall I'm very happy with how GS functions on 12V (I won't be using USB again), although I would still like to set up a good POI mission. All I can do right now is get the camera to turn towards the object at each waypoint and then carry on - not the effect I'm going for...it should keep the camera pointed and fly sideways the whole way right?

Good information. I'll need to change my battery setup.

When the safety circle/altitude is activated does it only work when using ground station? I did a one point flight today and re gained control at the stop, but as I brought it back to where it took off. It would try to back up.

When will the new iPhone app that supports waypoint flight be released?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

im using ipad for gs on p2.
my question is, how do i update the goggle earth map (satellite mode) in the gs ?
when i looked at the map in ipad from gs, it show the old pictures. (ie, exist. bldg. now. but, not showing in the screen)

mtpisgah said:
im using ipad for gs on p2.
my question is, how do i update the goggle earth map (satellite mode) in the gs ?
when i looked at the map in ipad from gs, it show the old pictures. (ie, exist. bldg. now. but, not showing in the screen)

+1
Good question, mine is also using the old map from about 7 years ago.

A "feature" that could possibly be added, is the ability to import existing Topo maps. They are in Garmin Format-but, they exist for some parts of the country, and are highly detailed and accurate.
As for Goggle Earth....you're only going to get new "maps" about every other year, or so...and the Street View ones might not update for years-depends on where you live.

havasuphoto said:
A "feature" that could possibly be added, is the ability to import existing Topo maps. They are in Garmin Format-but, they exist for some parts of the country, and are highly detailed and accurate.
As for Goggle Earth....you're only going to get new "maps" about every other year, or so...and the Street View ones might not update for years-depends on where you live.

True but I think what we're speaking of is that there is a new map of our areas, but it isn't in the GS app. For me, Google Earth took a new shot just last fall, updating the one from 7 years ago and the quality is much better. What's strange is the PC version of GS is using the updated map but the iPad version is not.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164