iOS Ground Station on Phantom 2

Thanks Neil, it only takes about 5 minutes to set up, I have to use a ground station as part of my flight assessment for the Civil Aviation Authority to grant me permission for aerial work.
Rob

robdigphot

Those are 2 words that shouldn't go together-like on oxymoron.
In the bottom of your phantom picture-I have a hard time making out IF there is even a gimbal+camera on the aircraft...??
Question; why did you chose to mount everything outside?

[/quote]
In the bottom of your phantom picture-I have a hard time making out IF there is even a gimbal+camera on the aircraft...??
Question; why did you chose to mount everything outside?[/quote]

Yes there is a Hero 3+Black camera fitted to a Zemuse H2_3D gimbal soon to be replaced by a H3-3D version.
It is fitted on the outside so I can change the configuration for different jobs quickly as this set up is used professionally also the video transmitter gets hot and it would not be advised to put it inside

Question; why did you chose to mount everything outside?[/quote]

Yes there is a Hero 3+Black camera fitted to a Zemuse H2_3D gimbal soon to be replaced by a H3-3D version.
It is fitted on the outside so I can change the configuration for different jobs quickly as this set up is used professionally also the video transmitter gets hot and it would not be advised to put it inside[/quote]
Yea, I get that part, I have a Ph1 with everything.
Question; how did you route the canbus wires from the iOSD mini to the Naza? did you have to drill or make any new holes?

I'm still thinking of mounting my iOSD mini inside the shell, next to the Naza unit-looks like a good spot. But, to update firmware-you have to take the Phantom apart...I hate that part.
Then mounting the VTX on the back somewhere, like I have on my P1-with sticky tape.

neiloakley said:
robdigphot said:
iphone03-L.jpg

That is one funky set up - How long does it take to set up and pack away compared to your flight time?

Are you using a ipad for your GS? If so what case are using to mount it to the friction arm and sun shade?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the air end of the GS can the antennas be ran down both legs along side RX antennas? If not what is the best placement of the antennas when mounting under the belly?

extrememc said:
With the air end of the GS can the antennas be ran down both legs along side RX antennas? If not what is the best placement of the antennas when mounting under the belly?

I believe the user guide states that the antennae need to be positioned at 90 degrees to each other, not parallel.

Right. Meaning I can run each antenna opposite of each other down a land gear leg like the radio antenna.

extrememc said:
Right. Meaning I can run each antenna opposite of each other down a land gear leg like the radio antenna.

:) We may be talking cross purposes here.... just to clarify - one should be horizontally and the other vertically oriented. So if both went down a landing gear leg wouldn't they be parallel?

extrememc said:

No not really, they need to be visible out the back of the Phantom. One going straight and the other has to be bent 90 degrees pointing down to the ground.

robdigphot said:
extrememc said:

No not really, they need to be visible out the back of the Phantom. One going straight and the other has to be bent 90 degrees pointing down to the ground.

OK - here's a pic of my setup... there are clearly more ways to skin that cat though :)

Attachments

• IMG_2700.jpg
    IMG_2700.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 383
crawf57 said:
****!!! Yes! Loop! Why would that be enabled by default?

First time I used mine it was in loop default and I luckily grabbed it w/Tx before it completely landed. Sorry about your crash - get the Zen 3D

robdigphot said:
extrememc said:

A 90 deg orientation is usually the optimal orientation for dual antenna to maximize reception, but they can and do work well when run parallel down separate legs, many people use them that way.

Remember that with the groundstation reception range is largely a non-issue....the mission gets uploaded before it starts, and will continue to execute even if reception is lost.

I launched my first test flight, today. No pictures because I'm waiting for the Zenmuse H3-3D and I never do early testing with the gimbal mounted. The overall results were good with a few operator fluffs thrown in to make it interesting.

I just tried the single waypoint only. It was a short distance and a very conservative flight. The wind was above my limits but I decided it would be OK for short distance.
1. Turned on the equipment in the following order...tx/remote....Phantom 2.....ground station...iPad.

2. Hit connection and the map and Phantom location was right on the money.

3. Made a way point and hit "Go"....but no results.

4. Used the tx to put the Phantom in the air. Made a single waypoint (35m distance,9m height; 1m/s) and hit Go. Phantom flew right to the target...even while being buffeted by heavy gusts.

5.First error. I hit auto land and it began to land as expected...here's the goof. I started to walk over to the Phantom's landing area while it was still in the air and my BT connection went out (I was about 20m away) ...DOH! I tried to take over with my tx...but no joy...I hurried back toward the GS, hoping to make a re-connection...and the iPad defaulted to Joystick mode. I really dislike the iPad Joystick (not much joy there) and the Phantom wound up upside down..with the props still active. I tried to shut them down using the usual sticks down and in as I use on the tx...but they didn't respond. Nor did they respond to the tx. So I had to carefully reach the battery button and shut it down.

6.I immediately set up for a second test...basically the same thing and it worked perfectly. It hovered over the waypoint...I hit landing and it landed itself just fine...despite the gusts.

CONCLUSIONS:
1.Don't stray from the GS with the iPad
2.If you want to stop the auto program....hit Pause
3. I guess I'll have to do a lot of practice with the iPad joystick
4. I need to find a way to switch control back to my tx from autonomous flight (if possible).
5. None of this is as easy as it looks on the demo videos.
6. There seems to be no current documentation for the Phantom/iPad GS. Where is Colin, now the we really need him? DJI seems to be depending on the Phantom community to provide advice.

neiloakley said:
Flick to ATTI mode on the tx then back to ATTI GPS to regain control.
Thank you. I'll give that a try on the next test flight. I assume that is the toggle on the upper right of the tx.

OI Photography said:
Zippy1144 said:
6. There seems to be no current documentation for the Phantom/iPad GS.

Have you seen this? http://download.dji-innovations.com/dow ... .10_en.pdf

It doesn't specifically say it's for the Phantom, but it works the same on any NAZA it's compatible with.
Thank you for the link. Indeed, I have read it and the new app has an overlay that shows where the buttons are. But I haven't been able to find the auto-takeoff that has been alluded to in the PC version.

The Phantom is on the ground. I set my waypoint and push Go...but the Phantom just sits there. If I put it in the air, it responds. What am I doing wrong? Thank you for your help.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164