iOS Ground Station on Phantom 2

wkf94025 said:
I am currently flying the Futaba 14SG without throttle centering spring, and it's nerve wracking focusing simultaneously on camera lighting, course lock, ship speed as surfer rips down the line, smooth yaw, etc., while still keeping my P2 out of the water. Kelly

I'm with you regarding the use of the 14SG with throttle center spring. My email and phone calls to Futaba have gone unanswered. A little frustrating.

Lenny7118 said:
bernardb said:
I don't have a picture of the inside at the moment, but I mounted the iOSD Mini inside (removed case from iOSD), removed the external leg-mounted Canbus, attached the new Canbus cable that comes with the datalink setup to it, sent it out thru a widened side vent hole and down to the airside of the Datalink. The iOSD sits nicely behind the aft end of the battery.

This pic shows the outside where the Canbus cable comes out the vent hole. The other cable is to the Flytrex.

Nice , I can leave the case on the iosd mini if I want and still run the cable the way you did , correct ?

Thanks
Here's a pic of my external setup -

Attachments

• IMG_2700.jpg
    IMG_2700.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 425
Pic of my internal setup for anyone who is interested.

Attachments

• IMG_2701.jpg
    IMG_2701.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 384
havasuphoto said:
How do you update the firmware of the iOSD Mini, without taking the top off?

That is the only (minor) inconvenience to me, of having the iOSD internally mounted.
Updates are hopefully infrequent and I've got the time for unscrewing the lid and screwing it back on down to a couple of minutes now. :)

crawf57 said:
Lenny7118 said:
bernardb said:
I don't have a picture of the inside at the moment, but I mounted the iOSD Mini inside (removed case from iOSD), removed the external leg-mounted Canbus, attached the new Canbus cable that comes with the datalink setup to it, sent it out thru a widened side vent hole and down to the airside of the Datalink. The iOSD sits nicely behind the aft end of the battery.

This pic shows the outside where the Canbus cable comes out the vent hole. The other cable is to the Flytrex.

Nice , I can leave the case on the iosd mini if I want and still run the cable the way you did , correct ?

Thanks
Here's a pic of my external setup -

Thanks, nice ! Just a small notch in the phantom 2 shell where it splits open.

Thanks Again

crawf57 said:
havasuphoto said:
How do you update the firmware of the iOSD Mini, without taking the top off?

That is the only (minor) inconvenience to me, of having the iOSD internally mounted.
Updates are hopefully infrequent and I've got the time for unscrewing the lid and screwing it back on down to a couple of minutes now. :)
I have mine inside my p1 now and it's a pita to update-but those are rare.
I'm trying to figure out if I want everything mounted outside-right behind the 3-axis gimbal on my PH2. I think there's room behind the gimbal for the iOSD mini, then put the air station on top of that, and the VTX behind those 2-so everything would be outside and easy to get too. Just don't know how much room there will be with the H3-3D. And, I don't know how many wires you can run, extra-through the hole in the belly that the new gimbal mounts too.

RickF said:
wkf94025 said:
I am currently flying the Futaba 14SG without throttle centering spring, and it's nerve wracking focusing simultaneously on camera lighting, course lock, ship speed as surfer rips down the line, smooth yaw, etc., while still keeping my P2 out of the water. Kelly

I'm with you regarding the use of the 14SG with throttle center spring. My email and phone calls to Futaba have gone unanswered. A little frustrating.

That is too bad. I emailed [email protected] last Thu, and they responded the next morning that a spring kit was on the way. I have been out of town all week, so don't know if it actually arrived or not.

Kelly

wkf94025 said:
RickF said:
wkf94025 said:

That is too bad. I emailed [email protected] last Thu, and they responded the next morning that a spring kit was on the way. I have been out of town all week, so don't know if it actually arrived or not.

Kelly

I got the same email. Is there a video or picture on how put the spring in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good bye PC GS... I enjoyed u for a day or two but...

Yes, I too now am flying with the iPad app and even flew beyond even my FPV range. I have a GPS tracker on it ;-> and have two P2s so I risk it.

I LOVE IT!

Though I do seem to lose connectivity from the iPad data radio link to the air end at 750m or less sometimes. And then the iPad never seems to connect again when it gets close. Others report it connects again around 200m. I need to test more. iPad just goes to showing nothing when connection is lost. Too bad. I am sure others will soon offer higher range telemetry radios to replace DJIs 2.4G radio?

Still love it though!

Thanks EMCSQUAR for posting video.

TXhillcountryphantom said:
Good bye PC GS... I enjoyed u for a day or two but...

Yes, I too now am flying with the iPad app and even flew beyond even my FPV range. I have a GPS tracker on it ;-> and have two P2s so I risk it.

I LOVE IT!

Though I do seem to lose connectivity from the iPad data radio link to the air end at 750m or less sometimes. And then the iPad never seems to connect again when it gets close. Others report it connects again around 200m. I need to test more. iPad just goes to showing nothing when connection is lost. Too bad. I am sure others will soon offer higher range telemetry radios to replace DJIs 2.4G radio?

Still love it though!

That's funny because I have had the same exact experience as you, down to the flying waypoints just beyond FPV range (scary!), the gps tracker, the two P2s, the loss of data link issue. The GS has some issues but it's still fun though. And useful!

Well that was an expensive crash.... :(

GS waypoint flight - successfully flew to each waypoint at the assigned speed and altitude and the last waypoint was meant to be the landing. It landed OK then took off again within seconds and flew into a tree, fell onto a path and broke all 4 props and killed the H3-2D.

Did this on the sim many times to make sure it would be OK but I guess I screwed up somewhere along the line. I know I screwed up by not having the TX ready to take over...

The Zenmuse got pretty banged up and now refuses to work at all... Do I wait and bite the bullet for the 3D or suck it up and get a 2D now... :roll:

Live and learn...

Did you have the GS set to loop because mine was pre-set to that. The first time I took off using waypoints I worked fine but after it completed its mission it took off again because it was set to loop and I had to take over control using the hand held transmitter to land.

iphone03-L.jpg

iphone02-L.jpg

iphone01-L.jpg

iphone04-L.jpg

****!!! Yes! Loop! Why would that be enabled by default?

That's nice setup. I have got all gear for my photography and will me doing the same. Except I am putting everything in a yellow hard case. Power, monitor, ipad, etc. Thanks for sharing.

neiloakley said:
robdigphot said:

That is one funky set up - How long does it take to set up and pack away compared to your flight time?

Thanks Neil, it only takes about 5 minutes to set up, I have to use a ground station as part of my flight assessment for the Civil Aviation Authority to grant me permission for aerial work.
Rob

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT