Ideas for a Phantom 4 wreck

Reaction score
I picked up a wrecked P4 that had been flown into a cliff. It still flies well, but as the gimbal is totally messed up and the camera gone = no live view.

I really bought it just for the extra batteries that were included along with the one battery that had been in the crash and all batteries seem totally fine and the controller is also obviously fine. Also other stuff included made the purchase decision quite easy...

Any ideas what you could do with something like this?
Is it even worth considering to order a spare gimbal+camera and try to change it?

You can pick up a camera / gimbal for around $360 new, it's just a matter of if you want to soak that much money into it and take the chance.

Reactions: Norval
You can pick up a camera / gimbal for around $360 new, it's just a matter of if you want to soak that much money into it and take the chance.
Yes, that's a bit much when the whole drone package is not that much more. And then you get a new drone with warranty etc. 100-200 perhaps, but 360, nono...
For some reason I've seen several Mavic gimbals with cameras in the second hand market, but not really for the P4's...

I had the same situation. Bought a 3 axis generic gimbal for 50 bucks and a phantom 4 camera part only for 60 bucks. All works fine. Only thing I am missing is the ability to adjust the camera angle in flight, though I am working on it.

Good thing about this setup is that if I have a crash and the gimbal (which is a lot more robust than the original) can be replaced for 50 bucks.

I have a Phantom Pro 3 with a messed up camera/gimbal. With new models probably coming out soon, I don't want to put much money into it. I've thought that mounting some sort of 360 camera to the original camera mount might be a good use for it, but I am still looking for a way to do this.

I just had a closer look at the wreck and the first part of the gimbal might actually be still salvageable.
What am I missing here (besides the camera, obviously) to make this (perhaps) work? I could start digging into schematics, but if someone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

Used cameras modules are not that easy to find, but saw one for 149... I think there should be cheaper ones to be found...?

Attachments

• DSC_0013.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 411
  • DSC_0015.JPG
    6.7 MB · Views: 413
Get in touch with Randy Prine on G/B. He has an extra gimbal/camera he MAY be willing to part with

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers