I was Narked on....

Reaction score
Well, I dont know how to explain this.. I got 2 "warnings" in the mail yesterday. But before I get into the details.. The question I have is.. On the DJI Go App, If you fly into a restricted zone, does it automatically send the Drone and owners address to the persons in charge of the Restricted Zone so they can send a Citation? For example, flying over a Dam at 400ft that is maintained my Army Corps of Engeneers? Otherwise there is no way they can see at drone at that height and zipping by at 30 mph the size of a Phantom or Mavic Pro.

My guess is, somebody at the lake saw me flying and called a Ranger and the Ranger got the number off my Boat to get my address. I was back in a river inlet filming a waterfall when others showed up in the middle of my flight and I saw a Ranger on the oppisate Bank talking to them, but he never talked to me. By then I was not flying but still had the drone laying out still. Nobody of either party came over to say anything to me.

Im guessing the Ranger searched YouTube for "Waterfall videos at Lake Allatoona" and found mine, so he searched other videos and saw a few where I flew past the Dam, Hence the Citations....

Total BS...... At least its only warnings, Im just trying to figure out how he got my address....

Reactions: RobertCC
BS? You flew in a restricted area and you're only concern is how you got caught?

Keep in mind you're used your "Get out of jail free" cards and further actions could possibly bring increased actions other than warnings.

To our knowledge no your contact information is not automatically sent to the managing facility of the area. Most likely someone saw your flying (it could have been the Ranger himself) and a little bit of research lead them to you... correctly so.

Hopefully this will be a wake up call for you to avoid additional interactions going forward. Fly SMART and fly SAFE!

Allen

Why 2 citations? Was the area marked no drones or air map said, NFZ? Go talk to them or play it safe and just don't fly there.

I got a verbal warning and let them know I was at no fault, but of course, brought it down fast. They had no warning signs, Airmap said good to go and no one was in the welcome center to talk to, We laughed a lot talking, but I jumped their case for not having anyway for someone to know. I showed them the no fly app. and a list of dams I wasn't allowed to fly over. I told them they weren't on the list. I told them, to get their act together. They agreed. lol

Shame. Flying so low and conspicuous.

Next time be 5 miles away and approach at 1600 feet, Betsy will be safe, high and practically invisible, And you’ll be too far off to cite

yea yea yea... Im aware about the restrictions. There is a small NFZ over the Dam just like most other Dams in this country. I don't hover over a Dam causing unwanted attention, I buzz on by high up. Just like the Cesnias see flying over it all the time. What started this, was I was in a area where there is no restrictions and I was filming a waterfall when others showed up in boats during my flight and decided to be "A" Holes about it. Instead of talking to me, they decided to call a Ranger. Even the Ranger never talked to me. I saw him, but at the time I thought he was just walking the area making sure people are safe. I left 30 min after he showed up. So he had plenty of time to come over and talk to me. Im sure he got the number off the side of my boat to trace my address then search for drone videos on You tube that matched my boat in the video... To correct that problem, in the future, any videos I put up will not show the place where I took off from and land and will not show the vehicle or tag, etc. and of course.. the title of the video won't say the location. People will have to guess where it was filmed. its sad that we have to do this in order to keep the whiners in check....In the meantime, I'm taking down all videos on my channel that show anything in question.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brojon
Not all dams are no fly zones . have one close by here is West Yellowstone on Hebgen lake that's ok to fly over as i've done it many times

Reactions: KentA and Jklovell
Yes.......someone seen your flying AND passed the licence number to the Parks Ranger and they might have even took a video of the flight too or a few pictures thru a telephoto lens and send them !

So because you got "Caught" flying into/through a NFZ others are whiners? I don't see your logic in such a statement.

We can "Debate" without getting ugly and making personal attacks. NONE of that will be tolerated... period.

I know... Your the one jumping down my throat.. I got my answer..... Put it to rest....

LOL you'd know if I was jumping down your throat. Take a step back from the keyboard and take 2 deep breaths and chill just a touch.

If you don't want honest and accurate answers you might want to re-think posting things on the internet.

I'm still curious, why 2 citations/ warnings. What were they for?
Flying over Army Corps property (overlook near the dam, took off and landed there, I flew out 2 miles away off sight) and the second one was flying in restricted airspace.. (over the dam).. Both had nothing to do do with the flight at the waterfall.. He got those citations from the videos I had on Youtube... Reason He didn't talk to me is because he felt I didn't do anything wrong, but to make the other party happy, he researched on youtube... I just went back and renamed my videos and deleted others that describe the areas I fly in.

The Youtube videos alone aren’t enough to do anything to you in the absence of other evidence. As to getting your details from the flight somehow have you considered They may have used Aeroscope? Who knows how far DJI has marketed this technology.

I don’t understand you being so snarky with people who have commented. If you think your special enough to do whatever you like expect at some time someone is going to take you to task on it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers